• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

heh, nothin but a series of coincidences

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Link to original post: [drupal=1900]heh, nothin but a series of coincidences[/drupal]

JustKindaBoredUKno here, but you can call me JKBUK. Or JK if you meet me in person.

Being up all night on smashboards got me thinkin', exactly how did I come to play this game? And why am I good at it? (Don't get me wrong, I'm not amazing, but I like to think of myself as one step above average) ^_^'

It started out about 6 years ago, when I met my friend Alex in 5th grade. We both loved Nintendo, and therefore, both loved Gamecube. So between us, we had quite a few GCN games. Weirdly enough though, the only multiplayer game that worked at the time was melee, so whenever we hung out, thats all we played. I guess this was the ignition.

As I grew older, I made more friends, and in a way, more opponents. Every friend I made happened to love smash the same way I did. Eventually, I had made a name for myself in the school. I had kids actually challenging me in the hallways with such confidence to come over and play smash bros. Its funny, I used to keep count of how many different people I had played/beaten.

But then throughout 6th and into 7th grade, the fascination with the game died down, and I ended up not really playing as much. Then one day, a kid from a different elementary school then I had went to came up to me in the hall. Told me he had heard I was good at smash, and wanted to know if I could come over. At this point, I probably wouldn't have bothered, but to my surprise, he lived only two streets over from me. (Yeah, I actually lived closer to his school then he did, don't ask about the school boundary lines out here, crazy messed up.)

So really only because he lived so close did I take him up on the offer. To my surprise, he actually had a small group of friends who played the game, the same way I did.

So it was me versus their best. No items, fox only, final destination. Sort of anyway, we both just happened to main fox.

A long story short, it was a very long match. I proceeded to win against everyone in that group. But it was different. It was actually competitive this time around. This wasn't playing my usual friends, when I would know exactly what was about to happen, just by knowing their play style so well. It was something totally new.

Thus, reigniting my love for the game.

Well, a year or two passed, and our two groups eventually became one. Throughout that time, we discovered AT's online. Wave dashing, L canceling, etc. It started to get a little old, honestly. I wasn't one for learning the AT's, I preferred my old fashioned way of playing, which eventually put me at 2nd or 3rd best in the group. But right around the time that happened, when I was considering quitting the game again, Super Smash Bros Brawl was shown at E3. We had known about the game's existence, but figured it would be years until the game would be released.

I remember the smash dojo updates, how we would stay up til 1ish just to catch the update.

To say the least, we played the game nonstop from the day it was released. Another little coincidence was my main character, Game and Watch. My old main Fox, didn't seem to quite cut it in this game, and Lucario lacked the uber-mewtwo appeal I was hoping for. So, just as a joke, I picked up Game and Watch, and ended up keeping him.

Eventually, me and my friends thought it was time to go to tournies. The first tourney we go to, we find out were playing with Samurai Panda, and Needle Of Juntah, almost legends here on Smashboards. We had no idea they lived nearby. Knowing that we lived so close to so many good people sparked our groups motivation.

A couple tournies later, and I find out Anther, Ankoku, and many other well known players lived in MI, and would be at local tournies. And from that moment on, we decided we would keep competitive.

Since then, I've done things a 13 year old smash fanboy would kill to do. I've had one on one conversations and friendlies with Lain. I've crashed at Samurai Panda's place. I've eaten breakfast with Anther. I chill with Vayseth, Omniswell, Judge.

Its just crazy, how many friends I've made through a videogame, just by being good at it. And who says video games don't do anything for you?

Anyways, hope my reminiscence of the past few years of a good part of my social life hasn't bored you to sleep. Thanks for readin, if you did.

And out of curiosity, am I the only one who has this kind of "why i play this game" story, or are there others out there? I'd like to hear yours, whatever it may be.

Amide

Smash Lord
That was a pretty interesting story. It's cool how many friends you've made through Smash. And I am quite jealous, even though I'm not a 13 year old smash fanboy. ^__^

Blahblahwutever

Smash Journeyman
i'm only 11, I wish kids wouldn't call me a geek, i wish they actually challanged me.

P.S., I'm in CA, and im going into middle school.

REL38

Smash Lord
I love hearing stories like this cuz it reminds me of why I love this game so much.

I've only met ChuDat and Forte at a tourney, but that's it. You've actually interacted with the pros. Ima jealous T_T

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
If I recall correctly my first tournament match ever was against you jkbuk, at gll. And now we are driving to tournaments and **** all the time haha. It is all just a bunch of coincidences.

highfive

Smash Lord
Man. the story was great. I played the original Smash when I was younger just cause of Mario. He was on the front cover and frick, he WAS Mr. Nintendo. Here I am now, 2 installments later and still kickin it with friends that play smash too.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
JKBUK you should come to Chicago one time for a tournament.

I'm hoping I'll get the chance later this month. Moneys just the problem :dizzy:

I really wanna go out of state. I feel like a lot of people here play against me so well just because they know me. I wanna see how I do against people completely new to me.

If I recall correctly my first tournament match ever was against you jkbuk, at gll. And now we are driving to tournaments and **** all the time haha. It is all just a bunch of coincidences.
Yeah man. I love this game, just because everyone you meet could easily become a friend.

This is why I took the smash bros route instead of the halo route. I also knew some of the best in the state at halo, and could play well with them. But the halo scene, or any other scene really, is just too cocky and stuck up. Its all "GET ***** SON! YOU ****IN SUCK!" Whereas in the smash scene 99% of the time its "Good game man. I had a lot of fun. (maybe insert constructive criticism) Hope to play you again."

Its just such a great scene, one I'm proud to be a part of.

Top Bottom