• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hearts Mafia - Game over! Who won?

John2k4

The End of an Era
It only takes one to spam those posts. See: Marshy.

As broken as that mechanic was to me, I don't feel like arguing it anymore. What's done is done.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Everyone who doesn't understand how much effort it took to "Spam the thread" in endgame read the QT before you complain. Then realize Marshy, Nabe, and J live in three different countries and timezones. *****es deserve dice.
Arguably, the reason why scum deserve the dice is because they didn't completely abuse the awful mechanic. If marshy just camped at day start to spam 300 posts of filler in a matter of less than thirty minutes, the day would end and SK + mafia would get off two kills each night phase. Then again July SK strikes me as the type of player who would prematurely kill off marshy as a mafia read.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I had a post but I figured "why bother?"

It came down to
there's a problem when everyone argues no MVP and the mods do the exact opposite, for TWO people. Then there's even a room mod who said there were no dice to be given out, and they completely disregard it. Another room mod even agrees with no MVP, but that's ignored too! The final room mod is the one who gets dice, so he wouldn't mind.

Blabla thoughtsbarf

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Arguably, the reason why scum deserve the dice is because they didn't completely abuse the awful mechanic. If marshy just camped at day start to spam 300 posts of filler in a matter of less than thirty minutes, the day would end and SK + mafia would get off two kills each night phase. Then again July SK strikes me as the type of player who would prematurely kill off marshy as a mafia read.
And you really don't think people would stop them if it was obvious? The game doesn't just hand itself to you on a silver platter for posting, two people come in and vote you for spamming and then boom you're quicklynched as fast as you wanted to push one through. The MVP isn't for exploiting tactics, it's for pulling it off without being lynched. There's a reason I disregarded people, mostly because they weren't even thinking about the setup and just said "PSssh, that's easy" without taking the time to understand it really wasn't.

John2k4

The End of an Era
...Especially when a lot of them were players in the game.

That lost all credibility to me when I saw that "I disregarded people..." part.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Look, I didn't want to be mean to you John, but you were such a weak link for Town you really shouldn't be talking about it. Same goes for Raz.

John2k4

The End of an Era
I can understand Marshy getting MvP I guess, but Nabe too?

--

But still, I don't even have words for it if JD went and ignored a chunk of the players like he just stated.

What in the literal ****.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll probably give out MVPs in every game I run bar every side failing spectacularly. That's a heads up for everyone who dislikes them so you can be angry in advance.

John2k4

The End of an Era
JD apparently you can't even read the last many arguments. The problem is not about giving an MvP out every game (hell it's your first game thing), but it was both private and with a highly abusable mechanic in it.

Ah screw the rest, I'm too mad to even find a way of saying it in a not-mad kind of manner.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's fine John. You don't have to agree with it. Just don't lose sleep over something that in the end is entirely my decision and whim. People getting MVP doesn't hurt you in any way.

(If this was an argument about how I modded the game etc. you could be certain I would be paying more attention, but the way I see it this is like people squabbling over the bonus candy that comes out of the pinata. It's not life or death to anyone)

@Ninja: Consistency is overrated :3

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
i once killed a man for bonus candy

:phone:
I'm not one to talk... I once killed a man to make sure I won the Mario Party mini-game so I had enough coins to get a star.

I just don't want anyone to be swearing mad about it since as you can see it's not something I was heavily invested into. I like fun. Giving people prizes is fun. So I gave people prizes. My standards probably aren't what yours are, but if you like prizes, then maybe you'll get one in my game someday. Who knows, but stifling the fun by never giving out anything just makes everybody go:

And that's lame and dissapointing for everybody involved. So give prizes I shall for better and worse.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Guys, this is getting a tad out of hand. Look MvP was given out but lately, because of this game, its detracting from the fact of what the game was actually meant. It was a private game, made for fun. And yet, it seems after the game, the only people who had any fun were those not getting too wrapped up into this MvP deal or people who weren't even in the game just posting about it.

I've withheld my opinion on this fully because I didn't think it was that big of a deal to hand out MvP for a game nor do I still think it is. In the end, all it really matters to is the mod and what they want to do and does it effect everyone personally? Not really.

I mean, imo, Ditzy could have handled the situation a bit better with the mass amount of distaste coming from some people, but the fact is is that it was his game. The mechanics were abusable, alright that point has been made. The opinion of MvP should be more highly regarded, alright that's another point of view as well. Fact is, I don't get why things are getting to this point or people are deciding to feed into this idea that we must have a cookie cutter way of "consistency" towards MvP that means things should go an exact way. In the past, MvP was handed out much more liberally with even full scum-teams getting MvPs or Two people getting MvPs, but in today's DGames, MvP is something that doesn't get handed out anymore because of the new standards if at all.

EE made a post about this already (one that I agree to very much so and I share the opinion myself that MvP was Marshy in this game and the only real logical way to not give him MvP was because of D2) and so have many others but I do not see the point of it becoming an argument that has encompassed a few days nor why people are getting mad someone got MvP. The thing is that people do seem to agree on is Marshy/Nabe both had stellar play, but the fact of because the mechanics were "abusable" and got "abused" should completely take away from the play that happened. Those two worked their butts off to get the win and that is what an MvP is, its a "Most Valuable Player" and the definition of that wording is this:

"Most Valuable Player: the man or woman judged to be the outstanding player in a sport during a particular season or championship"

Marshy and Nabe were judged by Ditzy/Zen as deserving as MvP to get it because they did have oustanding play in this game.

Anyways, that's pretty much my say on things. I just don't get the fact of why people are getting so hopped up on this thing. It's MvP, its best to move on. ;P

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah what J said. What is done is done. Let's play some more games. : P

Let's just take this as a lesson. That's all. We made mistakes, the scum team took advantage over it.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
And you really don't think people would stop them if it was obvious? The game doesn't just hand itself to you on a silver platter for posting, two people come in and vote you for spamming and then boom you're quicklynched as fast as you wanted to push one through. The MVP isn't for exploiting tactics, it's for pulling it off without being lynched. There's a reason I disregarded people, mostly because they weren't even thinking about the setup and just said "PSssh, that's easy" without taking the time to understand it really wasn't.
I don't have any problem with the MVP assignation. I don't even care about that since I didn't read through the game page per page. I'm stating that post restriction mechanic was bad and you shouldn't use it in future games. People are jumping to conclusions.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm not one to talk... I once killed a man to make sure I won the Mario Party mini-game so I had enough coins to get a star.

I just don't want anyone to be swearing mad about it since as you can see it's not something I was heavily invested into. I like fun. Giving people prizes is fun. So I gave people prizes. My standards probably aren't what yours are, but if you like prizes, then maybe you'll get one in my game someday. Who knows, but stifling the fun by never giving out anything just makes everybody go:

And that's lame and dissapointing for everybody involved. So give prizes I shall for better and worse.
Ah, I see. It's just that most people (and I) see it as something hard to get, something that means something. That it is something that can remind them "Oh those dice, man was he worthy of those dice!"

So try to understand why some people get a bit in a tizzy when it's awarded easily.

But it's cool. : P

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
The only thing you have to counter scum who do decide to abuse the mechanic setup-wise is a third-party killer. By restricting day phase for the town, you open up the possibility of the game having profound importance over night actions. I understand that there is a watcher, doc, 1-shot cop, and 3-way cool down JOAT. However, all of these roles depend on the day phase in order to succeed in getting a scum lynched as none of them have the ability to night kill.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Chibo killed all meaning behind dice. Not to mention, two of the best here dont even have dice in the first place. Its just for the sake of a postbit now anyways.

:phone:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't have any problem with the MVP assignation. I don't even care about that since I didn't read through the game page per page. I'm stating that post restriction mechanic was bad and you shouldn't use it in future games. People are jumping to conclusions.
You know this was a private right? (an experimental one at that) This mechanic won't be popping up in queue ever, and probably not again unless I decide to give "Hearts Mafia 2" a whirl one day.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
You know this was a private right? (an experimental one at that) This mechanic won't be popping up in queue ever, and probably not again unless I decide to give "Hearts Mafia 2" a whirl one day.
Okay. Thanks for the heads up.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha, that's ok. I just thought that might be what was happening if you were concerned only about the mechanic being wonky.

I balanced it as much as it would be reasonably balanced for the private it was. That's not to say this was your typical game in any sense, as I made it like this for fun and fun alone.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I tend to get wrapped up with MvP when I get mad salty like Gigabots, here not as much.

This is also why I don't care for MvP, I want to be recognized for doing good play, I don
t care if it was MvP or not.

If I drew the NK as a VT with a posting restriction in TTGL, I'm glad I did my part.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
If I drew the NK as a VT with a posting restriction in TTGL, I'm glad I did my part.
That's legit. If you play your part, then you've done well. Since FE, you're a player I always like to see do well.

For my part, I'm surprised I have dice from this game; I made one terrific play after lurking the vast majority of the game. But it makes up for the dice DH stole from me in FFVI :bee: Lose a little, gain a little.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
That's legit. If you play your part, then you've done well. Since FE, you're a player I always like to see do well.

For my part, I'm surprised I have dice from this game; I made one terrific play after lurking the vast majority of the game. But it makes up for the dice DH stole from me in FFVI :bee: Lose a little, gain a little.
:cool::cool::cool:

I name search FFVI

Top Bottom