• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He Has a Bone to Pick With You: The Sans Thread that was coming anyway...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
hey, kid.

you know that fighting game from Nintendo everyone's talking about right now?

what was it? Super Trash Babies?

yeah. i'm in it. meet you there, kiddo.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
In regards to Megalovania, I believe Sakurai said it is under the Other music tab.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Born too late to explore the world

Born too early to explore the galaxy

Born just in time to see Undertale meme its way into Smash Bros

What a time to be alive

[Also, in regards to MEGALOVANIA; since it's in the "other" tab, here's the full list of stages MEGALOVANIA can be heard on:

Hannenbow, Balloon Fight, Living Room, Find Mii, Tomodachi Life, Pictochat, Duck Hunt, Wrecking Crew, Pilotwings, & Wuhu Island]

[EDIT: And Summit! I completely forgot about Summit.]

Last edited:

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
We did it, gamers. Our boy made it in with a Megalovania remix. Kinda sad we might not be getting a full-fledged Undertale character, but the fact Sans made it in at all is ****ing amazing in its own right. This is the most excited I've been for anything Smash related since Joker and it's for a 75 cent Mii costume
If anything, Sans being a Mii costume is just a deconfirmation of him as a fully pledged playable character. HOWEVER, this might be just the start, remember that Toby played with Sakurai and rumors of an indie rep is in the waters. Meaning....

We might see Frisk as playable in the future, along with alternates representing Chara and Kris from Deltarune,
Needless to say I ****ing SCREAMED when I heard Megalovania LMAO

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well it is not the characters itself, and while not an Undertale fan; I really like the music so I plan to buy the Sans costume to get Megalovania. Congrats Undertale/Sans fans.

Staarih

Smash Master
Even as a Mii costume, it is amazing to see Sans in the game. It’s a step in the right direction and we can only go up from here. And the way he was left last and with more of an ”impact” with the reveal, Sakurai clearly knew Undertale would be hype. One of the best Mii costumes by far.

And with a Megalovania remix on top of it all... take my money!

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Getting a special mii special from out of nowhere means something pretty huge. For those who don’t know, Rex from xenoblade 2 has a mii costume and it’s been confirmed by Sakurai that Rex is actually a scrapped character from the original smash ultimate roster. So Sakurai might be working on a undertale rep beneath the scenes that he has kept secret for pretty long.

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I feel like this news made Frisk's chances much, much higher for after the Fighter's Pass. The reception that Sans is getting is incredible for a Mii Costume, and Nintendo surely has to be paying attention.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
* congrats to all you lazybones. guess we're all gonna be mii gunner mains now, huh?

I always knew there was no way Sans would get directly thrown into Smash as a character. At the same time, the only way to placate the incredible demand for him would be to make him playable in some form or other. Somehow, I never imagined an official Mii costume to be the perfect solution, yet what a beautiful solution it was.

It's incredible that Toby Fox and Sakurai bonded and collaborated to make this happen, though I suppose it was a little clear that Toby Fox would always be easy to negotiate with. I wasn't 100% correct that we'd get zero spoilers, but Sakurai obviously recognized that people were really asking for Sans' boss battle when they asked for Undertale in Smash.

I'll say this - it'll be very weird if we somehow still got a playable Sans given how high-quality this costume is. For the purposes of the young and the trolls, the image of Sans alone might just be enough anyway.

* you know, that $0.75 price tag is really just for megalovania. it just comes with a free mii costume

domcarminefilix

Smash Rookie
I won't main Mii Gunner but they will be a character I play from time to time because of the sans costume

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
I'm still a little confused as to how people think this boosts Frisk's chances. Sakurai said that Sans was added as a Mii Fighter costume because he was a highly requested character.

Knowing that Sans is, objectively, the face of Undertale, the most recognisable character from Undertale, and the most requested character from Undertale, why would they add Frisk? Why would they purposefully go out of their way to ignore the excitement and hype Sans caused because he's Sans, and add someone else?

They would be knowingly adding a character instead of the one the majority of people actually want. It doesn't make all that much sense to me.

Last edited:

domcarminefilix

Smash Rookie
I'm still a little confused as to how people think this boosts Frisk's chances. Sakurai said that Sans was added as a Mii Fighter costume because he was a highly requested character.

Knowing that Sans is, objectively, the face of Undertale, the most recognisable character from Undertale, and the most requested character from Undertale, why would they add Frisk? Why would they purposefully go out of their way to ignore the excitement and hype Sans caused because he's Sans, and add someone else?

They would be knowingly adding a character instead of the one the majority of people actually want. It doesn't make all that much sense to me.
I agree, I am pretty sure this will be the only undertale representation smash we will get. If not then the most we will get is another mii costume. But who knows maybe we will be surprised.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, if Undertale gets taken in consideration for next game, I could see Frisk come as a package deal with Sans (maybe even with Papyrus tag team). If there's any third-party IP that kind of trend can be established for, it's that one.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
In any case, if Undertale gets taken in consideration for next game, I could see Frisk come as a package deal with Sans (maybe even with Papyrus tag team). If there's any third-party IP that kind of trend can be established for, it's that one.
I bet the mii costume is actually a true test of San’s Popularity or Undertale’s popularity. If people actually enjoy him so much to buy him, Nintendo’s interest on Undertale as a whole will massively grow.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I bet the mii costume is actually a true test of San’s Popularity or Undertale’s popularity. If people actually enjoy him so much to buy him, Nintendo’s interest on Undertale as a whole will massively grow.
Seems like an obviously weighted test, considering that it's a double-deal package for the same price as the Teddy Hat. It's going to be the best-selling Mii costume just for having Megalovania with it.

Granted, it was probably going to be the best-selling Mii costume just for being Sans, but adding an official Toby Fox remix to it is plain overkill.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Seems like an obviously weighted test, considering that it's a double-deal package for the same price as the Teddy Hat. It's going to be the best-selling Mii costume just for having Megalovania with it.

Granted, it was probably going to be the best-selling Mii costume just for being Sans, but adding an official Toby Fox remix to it is plain overkill.
The fact they have the remix at all is suspicious as hell. Oh and speaking of costumes, was Rex the guy that made future dlc possible with his Mii costume sells?

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Haven't had a chance to watch this direct, but I did just happen to notice this randomly today.
I'm honestly more shocked than I've ever been this speculation period. Congratulations to all of the Sans supporters on getting into Smash in some form.
I bet by the next game, he'll have a high chance of being upgraded to a standalone playable character.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
My head canon is that Sans actually was invited to Smash, but then just hired the Mii Gunner to impersonate him so he can slack off instead.

AnonymousLeaker

Smash Rookie
Warned for trolling
Hey SANS fans! Do you want him in smash? Well too bad, he isn't gonna be a playable fighter, but you get a Mii Costume of him! :roll:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly getting Megalovania and a costume is so much more than I ever expected we'd get and the costume just looks exactly like him anyway so....foot in the door. Plus it's hilarious. I've been having a blast as him in Spirits mode.

ZelDan

Smash Master
TIL that one the online taunt messages you can choose is "Dunktastic!" to use after a match finishes.

It's just too perfect.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Honestly, this is the best representation for Sans. He is too lazy to be a full-fledged character after all. :p

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Does your Mii Gunner have a voice for Sans? I think 9 on Low Pitch is pretty decent.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Mii Gunner is going to go from my least favorite Mii Fighter and least used character, to a more frequent one just because of Sans. How did this happen?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I used 11 low pitch but 9 works I guess.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
at first i was really upset because its a character i've wanted in so badly. Now that he's been out for awhile, everytime i look at the costume, it feels like i'm looking at a new fighter. Its the weirdest thing i've ever felt. I actually feel like i'm playing sans. Plus the moves kinda of feel like something sans would do. The fact we got his theme in there is ****ing amazing. I have not stoped listening to it. I'm happy about this but still upset he's not a real fighter. From now on Mii gunner is replaced by sans. I'm going to be playing fake sans at tournaments

btw i refuse megavolina is the only undertale track!!! WE NEED MORE UNDERTALE MUSIC! Dreams of glamour! hopes and dreams! YOur worst nightmare! Throw some Deltarune music in there!

he almost feels like an extra bonus character lol

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
They mine as well replace the Mii Gunner with Sans on the Smash character panorama, give him his own slot, and give him an amiibo.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Just a heads up that you should provide some context for what the video is. Clicking on random Youtube links can potentially be risky, and it's the equivalent of a image-only reply.
i thought it was going to show the actual video on here

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
i thought it was going to show the actual video on here
To do that, you have to click on the three dots next to the Smiley button, and select "Media". Though even then, you should put some text in the post.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know what? I have a really good feeling about Deltarune characters for next game. No third party developer, let alone indie, has ever gotten along well to this level with Sakurai.

In any case, it's a historical moment.

At least Ultimate will probably be his final Smash game (where is that Kid Icarus Uprising Sequel anyway).
Given his feelings on video game sequels in general, probably not on this lifetime, I'd say. He basically treated Uprising as a brand-new IP that more or less stands alone on its own. Still want to know what HAL executives did to him during Air Ride's development to make him feel that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom