• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble punishing

gravy

Smash Ace
A friend of mine plays as snake, and hes the only person around me who gives me any trouble. When i first starting playing him, he destroyed me until i realized he was just using a set pattern, and when i came over after that i three stocked him a couple of times, but now i have a new problem. I play as multiple characters, and i find that if he jabs or ftilts me, and i ps or spot dodge it, he immediately spotdodges, and my return attack misses. I am counsiously trying to punish it, and i know that it will hurt his gameplay when i figure out how, but i cant figure out how to. If im playing as donkey kong, i can down or up b, but if im zss and she has so multiple hit attacks, i cant get past it, and if i miss a grab i get hurt.
Im also having trouble punishing airdodges when i know that they are coming, its the same thing, if i jump up to uair him he just dodges it.
any advice?

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
Bait the spot dodge, and from there you can either:

1.) Charge a smash and let it loose when he's taking lag frames from the spotdodge
2.) Use an attack with a lingering hitbox
3.) Wait and grab during their lag frames

With ZSS i would suggest charging downsmash, with DK i would say Upb would work. I don't main them so i don't know if there may be better options.

gravy

Smash Ace
the problem with character specific boards is that i use everyone except yoshi
edit: it seems that a charged dsmash is my only answer for zss, she doesnt have many lingering hitboxes and her grab is risky, do i release the smash as soon as the spotdodge is over or is there lag on the release too?

gravy

Smash Ace
well, i looked on every board, but i assumed that there would be something general to help me, like charging a smash, now i just need something general to help airdodges

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
Llumys, do you really think that the best advice to to make him go to every charachter board?

Gravy, I would say before you try to find matchup specific information, you should figure out your main and secondary. You would help us help you answer your question more easily.

Edit: Next time post questions in the Q&A thread, you're more likely to get nice responses there, i predict flaming later on.

gravy

Smash Ace
ehh, i know it sounds strange, but i main mostly everyone, but for the purpose of this thread lets say main is zss, secondary is wario
edit: sorry about posting on the wrong boards

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
instead of punishing his dodge, try waiting for his dodge to end. When it's about to end, THEN try different things, like a grab or a simple jab.

Jabs can punish spotdodges. If you just leave 'A' pressed, a select few characters keep doing jab1 until it connects with the opponent, ZSS being one of them. If they spotdodge, leave the 'A' button pressed and once his spotdodge ends, you'll be jabbing him before he has the chance do do whatever.

Edit: As for airdodging... Wait for him to land, then aim your attacks at your opponent while he's landing. Airdodges don't cover him while he's connecting with the ground, so charge a dsmash in his face, and release as soon as he touches the floor. Chances are you'll stun him long enough to get a sideB or a bair in.

gravy

Smash Ace
thank you very much, i appreciate everyones help
ill let you know how it goes in about 2 days

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol

i think u should just realize that ftilt and jabs on shield are not really punishable with some characters

but if he ALWAYS spot dodges u can punish that

but just think... what if he learns to not spot dodge? lol

i main sheik and i've learned that if i get filted on my shield, i can't punish it

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
If you want to punish dodge frames, lucario ftw (or marth DB, snake ftilt, or MK ftilt lol)
You gotta just learn to adjust yourself according to basic frame theory so that you can get a rhythm of punishing. In Melee, it's supposed to be easier, in brawl, not so much.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
With ZSS you have a couple ways you can punish his air dodging. First, you can bait his airdodge early by boost jumping (using b up in conjunction with the jump), and hitting him with a uair after. This is a very effective strategy against some opponents.

Also, if you predict the airdodge, just fast fall with him and either uair as it lands, or you'll hit the ground and utilt as he lands, and reset the situation.

And yeah holding a is a simple way to beat predictable spot dodges.

AdamEsteves

Smash Rookie
My name is Adam...
<.<
DUHHH
im 14
<.<
DUHH
no school yet....i think...
xD
and i wanna brawl......
this my friend code....
3523-5398-3686
Im not the best but yeah be prepared for sum pwnege...

BSP

Smash Legend
If u know he's gonna spot dodge, wait out the invincibility and then nail 'em.

Top Bottom