• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble against Yoshi...

EXE

Smash Cadet
Hello guys!

My brother plays many characters, like PT, DDD and Luigi, but the only one that really gives me trouble is Yoshi.

I also heard that Ike has the upper hand agains Yoshi, so I don't understand.

The things that give me the most trouble (I think) are the grab, which has almost as much range as my attacks, and his running combos (dash attack, AA, ftilt, rinse repeat) followed by a Smash or something.

Also, considering the he, like, crouches while doing everything (runnin, attacking, etc.), it's quite hard to hit him with aerials.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Onsokumaru

Smash Rookie
When my buddy plays Yoshi jumping over him with a n-air always catches him. Probably not much help but I figured I'd throw that out there.

EXE

Smash Cadet
When my buddy plays Yoshi jumping over him with a n-air always catches him. Probably not much help but I figured I'd throw that out there.
Yeah, I used to do this but now he just spams the spot dodge all the time, so it's really hard to hit him with anything I have except jabs, so I often see him going 170+ because I can only hit jabs at him.

And what do you mean by outprioritizing? Do you mean that if our attacks clash, mine's more likely to hit him? 'Cause that's not what happens.

Also, his second jump annoys me. If it wasn't enough, he can even use the eggs to recover. Is there any way out of this?

Thanks for the answers.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's weakness is edgehogging. You should try hitting him out of his second jump.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
footstool him. and he can won't be able to recover. also if you grab him with both his feet on the air and let him air break he won't get his second jump back.

its pretty much all I can tell you because I hardly fight yoshis.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hello guys!

My brother plays many characters, like PT, DDD and Luigi, but the only one that really gives me trouble is Yoshi.

The things that give me the most trouble (I think) are the grab, which has almost as much range as my attacks, and his running combos (dash attack, AA, ftilt, rinse repeat) followed by a Smash or something.

Also, considering the he, like, crouches while doing everything (runnin, attacking, etc.), it's quite hard to hit him with aerials.

The standing grab is one of the slowest moves in the game, if you sidestep it you get a free ftilt and maybe Fsmash. Running grab is for range, and the pivot grab is lagless which is nice for yoshi but annoying for anyone else (pivot can suck Ike's SideB in if I'm not mistaken). Yoshi's dash attack though, don't sidestep it, the hitbox has a long duration so you might still get hit, you should sheild grab this move. Jab is really good move yoshi has do to it's speed and priority, ftilt has good speed but I think your jab will beat it out and it's faster to so while he's sitting there stunned from the moves clashing you can start your jab combo again.

Yeah, alot of yoshi's attack cause him to like bend his body when he does them. Fsmash he leans back making his body hitbox like half his normal hitbox size. Usmash he leans back too but not quite as much (around 3/4 his normal hitbox size I'd think). Dsmash he leans down a smidge, and ducking to dodge and attack is always fun and yoshi gets rel low compared to his normal height. but as long as the attack would hit the feet you'll always hit yoshi since his feet don't move during the attack obviously.

Yeah, I used to do this but now he just spams the spot dodge all the time, so it's really hard to hit him with anything I have except jabs, so I often see him going 170+ because I can only hit jabs at him.

And what do you mean by outprioritizing? Do you mean that if our attacks clash, mine's more likely to hit him? 'Cause that's not what happens.

Also, his second jump annoys me. If it wasn't enough, he can even use the eggs to recover. Is there any way out of this?

Thanks for the answers.
You can do the charge while spot dodge, most people think a cstick smash is coming and will spot dodge but if you charge for a wee bit of time you'll nail him right after the spot dodge ends (this comes in handy alot so try to use it often on spot dodge happy opponenet). As far as yoshi going to 170 goes, yeah most people don't know he's a heavy weight (heavier than Ike too if I'm not mistaken, so he's hard to knock out, but floaty enough that he can recover easier too)

most of your attack outprioritize yoshi's, just yoshi's jab for some reason has insane priority (cancels snake's tilts...nuff said). Yoshi's tilts have less priority if I'm not mistaken. I know just about all of your aerials will out prioritize his (except maybe yoshi's excellent Bair)

Yeah, yoshi can seriously recover from nearly anywhere (well except after a spike of course) if you don't edgehog cause if the second jump wasn't enough he'll need to use the egg to reach the edge usually. So you might have to edgehog, of course yoshi can throw another egg which'll give him a lil' boost again, the egg will hit you and he'll grab on (this happens to alot of edgehoggers)

As far as the matchup goes though I'd think yoshi has the major advantage since his attack are worlds faster than Ike's. He's faster and more maneuverable than Ike . Do to Ike's fall speed he's almost as prime a candidate as snake is for Yoshi's combos. Better recovery and edgeguarding than Ike. Ike does have range and power on yoshi though which range is usually what yoshi relies on so use your range to your advantage.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Yoshi at a major advantage vs Ike...woooooah.

Punish the crap out of his unsafe throw and and space with fairs.

Dash attacks beats out Egg spam.

Be patient. Good Yoshi's love to do bair into his upsmash so punish that on block if they choose to spam it.

This match up is pretty even.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
All I could probably tell you that would be of any help is edgegaurd Yoshi, Ike had it bad, but Yoshi gets it the worst, once his 2nd jump is used, there is little hope of recovery other than egging it, but even then Ness/Lucas' PK thunder recovery gets more distance.

Try a dash-attack, maybe if you time it right can close the gap between you and Yoshi and could score a hit on him when you are at close-med range (not medium, close-med range)

Aether is your best friend when you have a Yoshi that does aerial approaches, and is a good way to rack up some damage if they tend to stay close in on you.

Again please don't take my word, as some of these might not work, however I do want to see if this can help you, if it does, YAY!! If it doesn't well fue to me.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Hello guys!

Yoshi's grab has noticeable lag if it misses, so maybe try perfecting dodging.
I wouldn't approach Yoshi in the air-I would stick to Ike's groudgame, using tilts.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: From the way you posted, it sounds like your problem isn't necessarily Yoshi, but just getting hit.

Characters like Yoshi have a property in their moves that cause fat characters like Ike, Donkey Kong, Snake, etc. to slide around a lot (kinda like pseudo-CC) when they get hit. That having been said, I think your problem is that you get hit a lot and moves like these can cause Ike a lot of problems, especially on small stages or stages with weird edges or hazards. You might want to start back at the basics and try to improve your overall defensive game (or just your do-not-get-hit-as-much game) and then try to see if you have any improvement in the matchup. It's not about who is supposed to win the matchup, just how you play it out on your own, so try to focus more on your strengths and weaknesses as a player here rather than the character or the matchup and I think you will see noted progress.

P.S. - Use retreating forward air, LOL.

shinola357

Smash Rookie
well i think any one who play with yoshi is pretty skilled, since yoshi only has 2 jumps, ima start playing yoshi and figure how he works so i can help you, i play more like fox, falco, capt. falcon, dk, marth, ike, zelda, luigui and others but yoshi i have not try that much

Top Bottom