• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having some trouble with Mario

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I've been using mario for a while now, but I'm still having some problems using him.

1. Uair, I can't do 2 Uairs after each other. When I use it the first time the opponent will fly away too far and I can't hit him a second time, even at a low percentage! What am I doing wrong?

2. FLUDD, how do you use it when the opponent is below the stage? It only works with Ike because you can push away his sword.. But what about other characters? Also when I use it in the air to stop someone from coming back on the stage they recover anyways.. I thought I could use it a lot, but I can't find a good time to use it..

3. the air, how can I have a good aerial game? It's hard to land an attack, people will always dodge it.

4. Edgeguarding, of course FLUDD is also a big part in edgeguarding. But what are some good ways to edgeguard using mario?

NightSky

Smash Journeyman
OK...
1. Have you tried turning tapjump off? Then you should be able to jump towards them for another Uair+Fair combo :D
2. Well first off FLUDD is mainly used for FIHL to stall their attacks and then punish its very situational so its sometimes hard to make a good use for it...
3. Try using Mindgames,son..Mindgames!!..try to be more unpredictable with your attacks...not much i could help you with there...
4. Fireballs, cape...Mario has a lot of tools he can use for gimping and IMO is one of the best in the game

Im not that great at explaining things, unfortunately...I hope this helped tho...Well at least i tried xD

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Watch vids and play more. Try stuff out. Get more comfortable with Mario.

That'll fix ALL of your mentioned problems.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Hey guys I've been using mario for a while now, but I'm still having some problems using him.

1. Uair, I can't do 2 Uairs after each other. When I use it the first time the opponent will fly away too far and I can't hit him a second time, even at a low percentage! What am I doing wrong?

2. FLUDD, how do you use it when the opponent is below the stage? It only works with Ike because you can push away his sword.. But what about other characters? Also when I use it in the air to stop someone from coming back on the stage they recover anyways.. I thought I could use it a lot, but I can't find a good time to use it..

3. the air, how can I have a good aerial game? It's hard to land an attack, people will always dodge it.

4. Edgeguarding, of course FLUDD is also a big part in edgeguarding. But what are some good ways to edgeguard using mario?

ok bro i'll help ya
first of all the upair
i can't really understand your problem cuz it had never happened to me that i don't hit two upairs at lower percent but...............turn your stick jump off!!!! if not it could happen that you make a second jump and miss the attack. maybe you should hold your stick diagonally so that you move a bit after the first upair and follow your opponent two hit with the second.
if you could record a little vid of your problem we can help you much better^^

2.the FLUDD is not only for pushing the opponent from the stage and stop someone for coming back to the stage. it is mostly used for FIHL!! don't forget that. ut if you wanna use it for effective edgeguard try this: you can increase some up b's your enemy so that he is above you(link,tink,marth etc.) after that they can't move anymore and you can cape them in the other direction so they miss the stage. very useful^^ i use it often and works pretty well^^
or you try the FLUDD wall( superman combo). for that you have to punch your opponent out of the stage(the best attack fot this AT is dsmash when your opponent not DI away). after that you make a full capeglide(when possible), do your second jump,and use your fully charged FLUDD and create a "wall" of water.your opponent will be hit from the wall.after that you have to do immediatly your up b otherwise you will kill yourself^^. the blowback of your FLUDD will help you to comeback to the stage. very tricky but very cool^^ xD

3.oh yeah...^^ mario and the air= RAAAPE!!!!!!
first of all, your approach options :you can sh fireball, full jump fireball
sh nair
sh dair
sh BAIR!!!!!!! ( but this is better for spacing.....but
whatever^^, i also use it for camping and approaching)
yeah these are you main options^^ try to use them always when you approach
use fireballs when you are far awy from you opponent, nair when you are middle far away and dair when you are close
fireballs are good cuz you can spam them and move on, nair is good cuz it holds so long and it is hard to hit mario when he use it, if you hit with the second hitbox of the attack it creates the perfect distance for following up with other attacks(jabs grabs and so on)
dair is good cuz it is a multiple hit attack and prevent you from many distance attack from you enemy.and when you hit your opponent it throws him directly in the air and you can start to combo him.......hehehe^^
and bair is good because of its range, and the fact that you can do that twice in one sh.

and yeah USE MINDGAMES!!!!! some thing like cape backwards(stop your momentum when your opponent dodges) then you can punish him easily with bair and start your combo

check out the boards for more information to maios combos. i don't want to write anymore.....^^ and don't forget: keep your mindgames fresh!!!!

4. mario is with mk the best edgeuarder in the game

he can capestall, ledgedrop bair, capeglide, fludd wall, CAPE!!!, gimp your opponent with
fair,stagespike with bair or upair,FLUDD, and has great options to chase your opponent out off the stage. did i forgot something???? mario is way to good by edgeguarding

hope i could help you bro^^ and really try to main mario cuz he is just godlike^^
it is just too fun to play him and gimp your enemys^^ and the best feeling is when you win a tourney with him^^xD:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

ok that's that^^ hope you will become a good player

see ya around^^ and sry for my bad englishxD i'm from germany you know^^

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys! I'll try it out! I can't wait to try out the Superman combo! I'm also gonna practice my air game!
And Judge? You're from Germany? How cool! I'm from Holland, you know the country right next to it! Anyways thanks guys :)

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Thanks guys! I'll try it out! I can't wait to try out the Superman combo! I'm also gonna practice my air game!
And Judge? You're from Germany? How cool! I'm from Holland, you know the country right next to it! Anyways thanks guys :)
oh wow^^ how cool!!! xD
oh wait.........: is het nü avond of ochtend???
i don't know how to write it^^
yeah the superman combo is cool^^

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
OMG! You can speak dutch? How awesome! Het is nu avond ja! :p
Kann ich dich etwas fragen? Ich möchte gern mehr wissen über ein shorthop mit zweimal ein Bair. Danke

Anyways can you guys help? I can't do a shorthop and 2 Bairs.. Any help?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
To do SHDB-air you have to do the first B-air before you reach the peak of your short-hop.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Not sure what to tell you. You must have bad Directional Influence. Because you must DI towards them to connect two U-airs.

You can trick people by jumping offstage and FLUDDING them towards the stage too.

D-air pls

N-air. Abuse it. This will help you tons in edgehogging. ALSO, when people do edge getups, N-air is very reliable at punishing those.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
i like this thread
ME TOO^^

Kann ich dich etwas fragen? Ich möchte gern mehr wissen über ein shorthop mit zweimal ein Bair. Danke
O WOW YOU CAN SPEAK GERMAN???^^ i like you man^^
ok for shdbair you have to use it once, when you are rising up in your sh and the second bair when you fall down
just try too press it twice very fast.

Use C-stick to make your life easier with upairs.
WTF??? you use the c stick for upair?????????
isn't that very slow???:chuckle::chuckle::confused::confused:

JUDGE

Smash Lord
really????
why???
isn`t that very slow, cuz if yyou jump with the Y button then you have to pass a quite long distance
before you arrive the c stick..........
i don't get it....^^

JUDGE

Smash Lord
no. but i think it's faster when you hold the stick and press A
i just use the c stick for DI'ing , boost smash, stutter step and OOS upsmash
but whatever...........maybe my fingers sucks really^^
any further question mr.lopez??? xD
or somebody else??

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Cstick your aerials. It's the easiest way to do them quickly (unless you're like Boss, who just prefers using the control stick + A. Or at least, I think he does).

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Cstick your aerials. It's the easiest way to do them quickly (unless you're like Boss, who just prefers using the control stick + A. Or at least, I think he does).
wow....i never thought to use the C-stick in the air period....wel i guess its time to reshape the way I play because you guy make it seem like thats the easier way to do. Im happy and walked into this thread

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! Thanks for all the help! But I'm still having a lot of trouble edgeguarding.. Like 9 out of 10 attempts fail.. I want to make sure every chance I get is right. So when I use FLUDD they still get back on the stage.. Also what can I do about a Samus that is trying to recover from below the stage, like this:

STAGE
-----------

X - Samus

Should I use FLUDD before samus get at the X? Also is it even possible to cape Wolf's Up B? So I really need help using FLUDD for edgeguarding.. Because it's easy if they use their recovery just in front of the stage. But what if they know how to avoid it, so can someone help me with FLUDD?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
really????
why???
isn`t that very slow, cuz if yyou jump with the Y button then you have to pass a quite long distance
before you arrive the c stick..........
i don't get it....^^
I always jump with Y. It's significantly more practical to do so in Brawl due to buffering and your thumb being able to cover the Y and the A button at the same time. I set X to specials so that I can buffer special attacks from a jump better.
Hey guys! Thanks for all the help! But I'm still having a lot of trouble edgeguarding.. Like 9 out of 10 attempts fail.. I want to make sure every chance I get is right. So when I use FLUDD they still get back on the stage.. Also what can I do about a Samus that is trying to recover from below the stage, like this:

STAGE
-----------

X - Samus

Should I use FLUDD before samus get at the X? Also is it even possible to cape Wolf's Up B? So I really need help using FLUDD for edgeguarding.. Because it's easy if they use their recovery just in front of the stage. But what if they know how to avoid it, so can someone help me with FLUDD?
Throw out more N-airs offstage dude.

Yeah you could cape Wolf's Up-B, but why do that when N-air, edgehogging, and other stuff is a lot easier?

Actually, the best way to Cape it is to Cape it while it's starting.

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Also I found this in the guide:

"Reverse Damage

Mario's cape is quite weird. Reverse Damage is when you cape an attack and it ends up dealing damage to the opponent, even though it's not exactly considered as projectile. The most commonly known attack that is affected by Reverse Damage is Pikachu's Thunder. Quite effective if Pikachu is over 100% damage.

Attacks affected by Reverse Damage
Charizard's Rock Smash
Mario's Cape (*shrugs*)
Peach's Toad
Pikachu's Thunder
ROB's Laser
Snake's Up-Smash
Zelda's Din's Fire
A large variety of items I won't bother to list."

How can I cape against Snake's Up-Smash? Do I need to hit the missile or Snake himself?

And thanks for your response but I really really need help with FLUDD edgeguarding.

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Oh against Ike? That's easy when he is below the stage (like my samus question) use Fludd when standing on the stage. His sword will be pushed away and he can't recover..

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
does anybody have any tips that i can use against ike?
CAMP HIM TO DEATH.

Fire ball him over and over, Up-smash and Up-B and B-air out of shield whenever he hits your shield with anything not named a perfectly spaced F-air. In fact just powershield his F-air if you're not playing wifi. Easy matchup.

Kingkira

Smash Rookie
@ Lopez

The best way to Edgegaurd samus is force samus to use Up b to grab the ledge and just edge hog, you don't need to fluud, fluud shouldn't be your #1 gimping tech, change your edge guarding everyone once in a while so they wont know what you'll be doing.

Mario isn't all about his cape + fluud, you should shield grab in to aerial combos, and well try to get smashes in, Gimping isn't the effective way mario can KO with.

its quite hard (maybe not, but i don't fluud kos that much) to fluud edgeguard certian characters,

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
This is how you use the cape to reverse recoveries:

If you can't hit the opponent before they start the attack, don't try it. Instead, edgehog or if it has a priority advantage, use Nair.

Mikha'el

Smash Cadet

To do SHDB-air you have to do the first B-air before you reach the peak of your short-hop.
What really helped me with the SHDB-air is that i learned to do Falco's SHDL and TLink's SHDA, but thats just me, always doing the hard way. It really helped me with the actually timing of the moves. I also found it easier to practice on an actual person. When the first Bair hits it keeps you in the air a little longer than usual giving you just enough time to pull off another one.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What really helped me with the SHDB-air is that i learned to do Falco's SHDL and TLink's SHDA, but thats just me, always doing the hard way. It really helped me with the actually timing of the moves. I also found it easier to practice on an actual person. When the first Bair hits it keeps you in the air a little longer than usual giving you just enough time to pull off another one.
No it doesn't. That is hitlag, and it has no existent affect on air time.

All you need to do to SHDB-air is buffer it. This isn't Melee where you have to wait for your character to be in the air before you can input an aerial command. In Brawl, you can just input an aerial command immediately after inputting the jump.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No problem man, but if you have any questions, do ask me. I love to explain things.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
we already noticed it bro^^
but me too, i love explaining things but i can't cuz my english is very bad^^

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! Thanks for all your responses, you are all awesome! And I'm really loving the superman combo! It's so cool! But there's still something that's kinda hard to pull off. I don't know exactly what it's called but it's the technique where you cape just before someone lands from a jump. How can I do this? Because my opponent is always attacking before they reach the ground and I can't shield (dodge) and cape at the same time.. So if I cape I get kicked in the face!

Also how useful is it when an opponent uses the ledge attack (hanging on the ledge and pushing attack) and I use FLUDD against it? They always seem to recover and I'm too far away to edgehog for some reason..

Kingkira

Smash Rookie
For your first problem you can spot dodge(sidestep master that : ) and you'll be pro!ish) that is called cape induced lag, and you could shield grab them : )

Change up yourplaying style if you aren't able to get there to edgehog, play more offensive , keep the momuntum and well you'll be able to get there, i had that problem too

JUDGE

Smash Lord
jupp^^ the first AT is called CAPE INDUCED LANDING LAG!^^
the problem is that you have to cape them BEFORE they attack or exactly WHEN they attack.
but always remember that the cape comes out later then some areials. if you hit, your opponent will
need longer to fall down( he is in the air now) , is turned around and is wide open for attacks.
he is easy to punish now with a dsmash or a usmash.
when he still do his aerial, you can make a fsmash too^^
i prefere the FIHL cuz i think it's safier but.....whatever^^

when you couldn't edgehogged him than try a shieldgrab.
it is perfect when your opponent use to stand up from a ledge, by ledge attacking
just go to the ledge, hold your shield button, wait for his attack and right after his attack push the a button^^
you can fthrow him out again and i BET that your opponent will do this fault again^^ xD lol
maybe again....and again........and again hahahahaha^^ xDD ........................but i don't think so....^^

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Hey guys... I'm about to give up on Mario.. It's so hard to play with him!! I mean his A attacks have no range and are pretty weak compared to other characters.. I mean even Diddy's A attack are stronger.
I was just fighting this Ike. And I never fought a Ike like this one, he was in the air the whole time!! And I just couldn't hit him.. His sword had so much range, I just couldn't get close..
Also all those mario gimping techniques aren't working, I just can't pull them off! It's failing the whole time and I'm getting pretty sick of it..

So what should I do? Find a new main? Or continue playing with mario.. I really need help guys..

stealth3654

Smash Lord
You should main someone that you really enjoy playing as. As for me, I really enjoy playing as Sheik and I enjoy the Legend of Zelda games, so I main Sheik.

If you want to get good as a character, you are going to have to practice. Some characters more than others. Edge guarding takes practice to get down, it takes prediction of how the opponent will recover and unpredictability of how you will gimp. Also, for the Ike thing, just stay away and use fireballs or maybe use FIHL (FLUDD Induced Hit Lag) to make Ike trapped in hit stun while you attack him. I don't know if it works on Ike, though.

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Yeah you're right I just need some practice.. But I really really like playing as Mario he's so awesome! I also really like his games, you know.. So I'm just gonna practice more!

BTW I found this on the Smash Bros DOJO site, check it out:
About FLUDD
"It does absolutely no damage—it’s just for sending opponents great distances. You can even charge it up while shielding. It’s best used in critical moments."

You can charge FLUDD up while shielding???? Shielding and charging at the same time?? How???

JUDGE

Smash Lord
GODDAMIT!!!!!!!
you had really scared me dude^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
giving up mario.....................omg
uhmmmm what do you mean with a attack??
you mean his jab??
i find it has a good range^^
i really like marios jab
comes out at frame 3 and makes 9% damage
ok it doesn't deal as much damage as others but it's still ok^^

against this ike guy......
....it is totlly normal that a good ike is in the air the whole time
aerial attacks,his jab and fastfalling are the basics of an ike mainer
like the guy over me just spam your fireballs and approach
but always stay on middle distance!!!
so that your opponent can't punish you after he shield/dodge your fireballs
but!!!! you can punish him when he was hit by your fireballs

beware of his fair
it is the attack with the most range in brawl

for your edgeguarding problem
i have the feeling as if you are focus too much on the fludd
is that right???
try to use the things that i said to you on the first page

let's have some friendlies anytime^^
than i can help you more

and i don't think its possible to charge the fludd while shielding

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Oooh a few friendly matches? That would be great! Here's my FC Brawl: 3952-8580-9769

Yeah I'm having a lot of trouble edgeguarding, the Superman Combo doesn't always work because I'm having some trouble with the cape glide, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't... Also when I'm trying to edgeguard I'm sometimes to high or to low to even touch my opponent.

Oh and I don't use a lot of FLUDD, it's still too hard lol I miss a lot.. But I've been trying the FIHL and it works pretty good. Only sometimes the opponent is pushed too far away to even counter attack..

MrLopez

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! Still having trouble with gimping.. I''m having trouble with the timing of the cape glide.
Also what about marth? When he goes below the stage and uses Up B what can I do about it?

Oh and that Ike that pwnd me last time? I owned him!! It was pretty easy actually..

Top Bottom