• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having A Problem With Doc!!

KevKev

Smash Rookie
is ther any pattern to do a perfect tornado and do a double jump for DOC?? cuz im havin a problem cuz i cant double jump after.... ='/

St. Viers

Smash Champion
try jumping, doing the (not so)PTP. Then see if you can jump again. If you, you are at least pressing B fast enough to help you a little, because the main point is to stall falling while still going sideways. Getting the increase to vertical height is useful, and can be of great value, but being able to at least stall is better than not using it at all.

For more tips on using Down-B, try using the search feature :)

Khaine

Smash Journeyman
i believe for Doc's tornado press to be perfect, you need to hit B 10 times. for Mario its 8, and luigi its 15. i may have mixed up docs and marios, but, well, blah.

also, there are already a large number of threads on this dotted around this forum. do search before posting.

-x-

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Mmm. I noticed something when watching the Doctor's Checkup. When Smashmac does the PTP and double jumps afterward, it seems as though he lost height. It seems to me that caping and double jumping would take you much higher than throwing a PTP in there would.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
it is helpful sometimes. you can confuse people who may be coming to edgeguard you by doing the tornado recovery if you don't normally do it. It has helped me personally before and other Doc/Mar's I have played.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Hmm. Well, KevKev. Look at it like this. The vertical distance you lose isn't that bad and you should never do it when you don't have a double jump. However, it is good for stalling. Say someone's on the edge, waiting to edge hog. You do PTP and they are most likely going to get up, this might give you enough time to get back on.

Basically, KevKev. Unless you can do (pardon the pun) perfect, I wouldn't recommend using it. You'll just lose height. As for how much horizontal distance it gives you... I don't know. Ask Smashmac, as he is master of all things Doc.

EDIT: What the heck does IIRC mean? I keep saying that, and I feel like it is a meaningless abbreviation I'm going to end up hating.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Oh, one more thing, KevKev. I read your first post again, and I used to have this problem, not sure if you have it too, but, I would try to double jump too early.

Even if you PTP if you don't mash on X or time the jump, it won't come out. Watch the Doc tutorial video and see when Smashmac double jumps. That's around the same spot you should double jump.

That's what I did wrong. I was actually PTPing when I thought I wasn't and it was very discouraging, but I started timing my double jumps instead of hitting jump right after I finished tornadoing and it turns out I was PTPing.

Top Bottom