• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having a horrible time with R.O.B tips?

Nikwadtkhil

Smash Cadet
i'm having a horrible time fighting against ROB with the IC's and always seem to be forced to counterpick a character (kirby) against him, any tips on ways to stop this mechanical menace?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
^ You need the right timing like Snake, MK, Lucas, Ness, etc. R.O.B is a bit easy altgrabbing him, IMO it's like chaingrabbing Luigi.

From his Gyro, I think Ice Shots stop it, for the beam, just dodge it, for his d-smash... ugh I really hate it, you might have to stop rolling into it and DI out of it, that's all I'm saying. And yet, I'm no real competitive player that explain these stuff such as punishing and approaching, although I'm a good player using them.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Snake is like a heavy weight if you look at how long he stays on ground when Dthrowing.I guess dthrow for ROB since he has heavy characteristics.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I have yet to face a good ROB offline, but I think some things to not taking too much damage, and end up loosing the match is to never try to shieldgrab. Spotdodge to dsmash is way to fast to grab and the situation should be avoided, as for ROB the situation to get grab should be avoided.

I think it´s possible to DI the dsmash upwards to get out of it, but I have to test it a little more or get someone to confirm that. Also I´m not sure but grabbing ROB at the ledge might work as against snake and he might get out of fuel, but that´s just guessing from me (it works on G&W atleast).

SilentNeko

Smash Rookie
Alright, I made an account JUST for this thread! I, too, am having a bit of trouble with R.O.B., when playing as the Ice Climbers, but I've managed to figure a few things out. I'll help you out as best as I can, and I'm praying that others can lend some tips, too. But before all that, I'm just going to say this, now. I'm very, very far from being a pro-level player. These are just some things that have helped me out.

Whenever ROB is above me, I ONLY use the Up+B attack (sorry, I'm not extremely familiar with the move names and terms). This sends Nana into ROB, preventing you from taking a hit of his Down-A air attack, while racking up a little bit of damage. The only downside of this is, of course, that you're unable to perform any other action, and has a bit of recovery time.

When ROB sends out his Spinning Top attack, you can stop it in it's tracks, easily, with the Blizzard attack. I usually do this if I see him charging it straight ahead of me. I believe it will also allow you to walk over and pick it up (just don't get too close!) to throw back at him. I think the Ice Blocks also work for this, but I swear by the Blizzard attack.

If possible, try to avoid maps such as Luigi's Mansion (Rob's Up-Smash attack is awful!) or maps with similar low-leveled platforms. Trust me, it can be awful.

Another tip is that his Up+B special needs to be charged, like two of his other B-moves. It charges by him being on the ground. So, if possible, try to keep him up in the air. I know this can be one of your main focuses, anyhow, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

The last thing I can think of is that his Up-Smash attack will usually get you, if you're above him. If you're falling, and he's below you, I wouldn't suggest trying to do a Down-A. Not for just the fact that his attack has higher priority, and will beat out yours, but also that he can dodge yours easily with a side-roll, and hit you with an even more powerful attack, while you recover. The only thing I can really think of doing, off the top of my head, may be just trying to get him out from below you. Maybe just try to avoid him, altogether, like with a Right+B attack.

spotted

Smash Cadet
Just get the timing straight with CG:s and come up with some tactics to get around his usual attack pattern, be sure to desync against him, i have found that really useful ;)

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
the problem i have with rob is that he keeps rolling into a dsmash. every time i try to out roll him i get beat, so i moved to jumping away, but that leaves me open to juggling. he's a hard matchup, but if you can get a good shot in he's pretty easy to control, just gotta keep on him once he's been hit.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Try to keep defensive, and space melee moves while avoiding/stopping projectiles. Keep with Icees and Squall for possible approach. And Aerials are your friend.

Rykard

Smash Ace
ROB is in my opinion the worst matchup for ice climbers so you need to just know its going to be an uphill battle to start with (and theres nothing wrong with counterpicking a character if it will get you a win, thats kinda the point...id actually recommend doing that)

he will spam and camp the hell out of you so do not expect to ever get a grab off in this match at all. you just have to keep your cool throughout it and do not pick FD against him cause it gives him way too much room to work his projectile game. you have an advantage when you are under him and can do a lot of Up air combos but other than that, you have to be more patient than him. simple as that

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Be cautious when recovering. Rob can fire a laser at you whether you are squalling or belaying to cause you to desync even if the laser hits both of you depending on the situation. If any projectile hits you while you are squalling and doesn't hit the AI, the AI will go into a fall-special and may be desynced from you. If your lucky, you could be able to quickly belay to get both of you back in order. If the AI is hit, you are very unlucky since you may go into fall special. When belaying, make sure you position yourself so that you don't end up getting hit by a laser or gyro. Also be careful about Rob using his Down-air to spike you.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I actually need help in this match-up as well. It's just as hard if not harder then Metaknight >_<. I swear ROB is impossible to grab.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
From my memory(havent played in a while), bthrow->bthrow works on rob.
Too situational. You first gotta grab him, which is a chore since he has amazing spacing/spam. >____>
And b-throw chains are arguably the toughest to do.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
rob is a cowards character. the ******* just runs away all the time. and when he does move in to fight his attacks hit farther than yours so even up close the ******* is still out of the fight.

and in free-for-alls he just runs and taunts. >_>

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
It's not wise to rely too much on chaingrabs to win against Rob. He has good spacing technique, he has longer reach than Ice climbers, but most of all, IC's grab range is too short. This applies against most enemies that have better priority and better range that IC, and it murders players to no end.

Nikwadtkhil

Smash Cadet
So essentially what we've learned is R.O.B is a seriously slanted match in most if not all IC users opinion and the best bet is to counterpick characters. Right?

Top Bottom