• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has this kinda of tourney been formulated yet?

SLK

Smash Rookie
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954

essentially, using this above thread's list, construct a tounament where it's exactly like any other tournament here, except you get points based on what character you use, and points based on what character(s) you defeat. The more points the better, of course.

for using an S-Rank character you get 1 point.
for using an A-Rank character you get 2 points.
for using a B-Rank character you get 3 points.
for using a C-Rank character you get 4 points.
for using a D-Rank character you get 5 points.
for using an E-Rank character you get 6 points.

the total points per round you get is equal to...

Points=(Using Bonus)+([Win Or Lose]*(6-P2 UB))+([Win Or Lose]*(6-P3 UB))+([Win Or Lose]*(6-P4 UB))

Win = 1; Lose=0; Per player; that means that when the brawl has ended and the places are displayed, you win against another player if your place number is less.
The first round matchups are determined randomly.
After Each Round, the 2-4 players at the top of the points, depending on how many people per brawl, are set to brawl each other in the next round. followed by the next to the top and so on until all have brawled. After a set amount of rounds have passed, the totals are summed and the winner is decided by the one with the most points.

Here's an example Brawl in a round. This didn't actually happen im making it up.
Meta Knight (rank S)
Link (rank D)
King Dedede (Rank A)
Diddy Kong (Rank A)

At the end it happens that the results are:
1 King Dedede
2 Link
3 Meta Knight
4 Diddy Kong

Player 3 would get 2 point for being dedede, 1 point for beating Link, 5 points for beating meta knight, and 4 points for beating diddy. total would be 12 points.

Player 2 would get 5 points for being Link, 5 points for beating Meta Knight, and 4 points for beating Diddy Kong. Total would be 14 points.

Player 1 would get 1 point for being Meta Knight, and 4 points for beating Diddy Kong. Total would be 5 points.

Player 4 would get 2 points for being Diddy Kong. Total would be 2 points.

This kinda of tourney would definately make something interesting, because beating a higher rank will reward you more, and being a lower rank will reward you more.

What do you Brawlers think? Is this tournament structure valid?

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
I admit I didn't read the whole thing, but frankly I really don't like the idea at all. Sorry XD

No, I don't think it is valid, basically because the characters are what they are and if you want to be rewarded for playing a low-tier character, then learn to play it well. And because nobody would attend a tournament like this.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
The concept of this type of tournament is clearly good natured but It seems easily breakable.
I play cf and lose to mk i get 6 pts for spamming falcon punch and he gets two for playing a decent mk
hmmm

also the tier list was not designed to acknowledge play with more than two combatants and their are effectively no serious multilayer tournaments beacuse people will "cheat" to win and rules against secret teams really cannot be enforced.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
I like the idea, even if it's only used for fun.

The concept of this type of tournament is clearly good natured but It seems easily breakable.
I play cf and lose to mk i get 6 pts for spamming falcon punch and he gets two for playing a decent mk
hmmm
Spamming Falcon Punch doesn't work against Meta Knight, lol.

If it did, Captain Falcon would be God Tier.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... that's a really interesting concept, I'd never thought about anything like that. That's pretty clever.

Having said that... I don't think many people would adopt it. It's just not that appealing... sorry >.<

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
Ehh... nah, I don't think so. First off, the point system is a little screwy for one as Phantomwake stated. If you play as an S-rank character vs. an E-rank character, there's no way you could possibly win even if you... well... won. If you're going to do that, then you may as well just ban all S-rank characters.

Also, you're assuming that we'll have ffa tournaments. I have never ever seen an actual tournament like this. Everyone insists on 1v1 tournies and I have to agree with it.

But let's just go along with the spirit of the arguement and say that we get a better point system, one that equalizes higher tier characters and lower tier characters fairly and accurately. And lets just say we change it to 1v1 because an ffa tourny will never produce any meaningful outcome...

This kind of Tourney WOULD be great if you could assume the following: That the current iteration of the tier list is the god-given undeniable truth.

But we can't assume that, because that's not what it is. It's a good, educated guess. It's probably CLOSE to the truth. But if it's even slightly inaccurate in even the smallest way, then it becomes unfair and kinda destroyes the original intent of this system: to make things fair between characters.

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
It wouldn't really be such a good idea because just because you play someone at the top of the tier list does not mean you will have an advantage over every other character below you. Tier lists will always be partially inaccurate. And also, we play one on one or two on two tourneys, not free for all.

You could argue that it would help in finding low tier counters for higher tiers, but that happens all the time anyway, especially in Brawl.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
No, this wouldn't work. Suppose we had a 2p brawl between MK and CF.

Then, no matter what happened, the CF player would always get more points. (Finally, a way to beat M2K! :laugh:) This would make playing skills meaningless.

Venture

Smash Rookie
I'm a little confused as to whether you are talking about a free-for-all or a 4-person tourney in that particular example. If it was a simple 4-person tourney (implying 1 on 1 matches), then I would say that you have some good intentions in trying to balance the metagame for tournies.

However, like Paingel said, their is an inherent flaw in your proposed system. It assumes that the current tiers are absolute. If that were so, then this would be a neat idea, but the problem is that there will never be a perfect, infallible, and absolute tier list. The reason being is that the tier list for Brawl (and most games) is ALWAYS changing and fluxuating. To use this system would be to ignore the fact that the metagame will evolve, and equalizing characters will only stifle that development.

That, and the fact that the smah community is so large, widespread, and dogmatic that even small changes to tourney play are scrutinized and generally unwelcomed. :)

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
I like the idea, even if it's only used for fun.

Spamming Falcon Punch doesn't work against Meta Knight, lol.

If it did, Captain Falcon would be God Tier.
G~tier IS God~tier :D

but seriously.. no this isnt a good system becuase it is possible for (most) low tiers and to beat middle and high tier :/ i mean even lolimar(a step below G~tier) can beat high tiers

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Subtract and add points based on win/loss.

You play an MK? Okay. If you win, you get those points. If you lose, you lose 50% of their point value. You dont get points for playing.

I thought I'd help even if this isnt a viable idea. <3

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
This probably would be a great way to allow people to try new characters. I could see this idea to work, not as the main show, but like one of those things you can play if your out of the losers bracket.

Top Bottom