• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has Ken Fallen...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
With all the new players coming up it seems like ken is no longer the best in the world. In all the recent tournements (MLG NY, thts about it), Ken has not won. I hav a friend who claims that ken has been to tourneys where he didnt enter and lost in mm's to m2k, pc, KDJ and Azen. Ken has also failed to put out a new video of a match in a while. When i talk about ken no longer being the best i dont mean tourney wins i mean skillwise because ken has racked up so many tourney wins it would take a while for others to catch up to him. Wat does this all mean is he quiting or have other players become better then him?

Lit

Smash Ace
ken is still the best in the world... all of those mlg tourneys that he has done he just lost a couple... people are starting to catch up to him but he was like the god of smash for like 2-3 years and his marth showed people how to really use him.... he may of lost a couple but he is still the best in the world..... i mean u win some and you lose some right....even ken cant always be perfect.....

Vall3y

Smash Lord
in MLG ken was taken out by m2k and azen, which he defeated both in MLG Vegas, in which he lost twice to KDJ's sheik which counters marth. so currently kdj is probably the only one who is capable of consistently beating ken, and ken doesn't really care to work on his match up versus sheik (like he cared about playing vs falco at the beginning of the season knowing theres a full season ahead of him) because with MLG out i guess he doesnt have much reason to play anymore

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
in MLG ken was taken out by m2k and azen, which he defeated both in MLG Vegas, in which he lost twice to KDJ's sheik which counters marth. so currently kdj is probably the only one who is capable of consistently beating ken, and ken doesn't really care to work on his match up versus sheik (like he cared about playing vs falco at the beginning of the season knowing theres a full season ahead of him) because with MLG out i guess he doesnt have much reason to play anymore
your forgetting that PC beat ken and Bombsoldier nearly beat ken in his first tournement. everyone knows BS must hav improved since last time its only a matter of time before then face again. Also if ur saying ken does really care now that MLG dropped smash then he has fallen.

AthrunZala

Smash Journeyman
ken is not the best at the moment. not in the world (someone who lives in japan) and not in the usa. sorry guys. maybe overall what he has done is the best but at this moment and time he is not the best.

Lit

Smash Ace

yeah that makes alot of sesne..... but **** if ken just stops playin smash who will reclaim the tittle and be the best in the world.... i dont want him to just leave bec he is the one that made the game how it is today....... but if he doesnt want to play anymore.. than i guess that will an upset to the socal and the whole world..... but i wonder who would reclaim the tittle... pc chris? kdj? azen? i wonder who....

Lit

Smash Ace
ken is not the best at the moment. not in the world (someone who lives in japan) and not in the usa. sorry guys. maybe overall what he has done is the best but at this moment and time he is not the best.
ok than who is?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
What's the point of posting a topic like this? Everyone has their own different opinion on if Ken is still the best. I'm predicting a future flame war in this topic.

Lit

Smash Ace
What's the point of posting a topic like this? Everyone has their own different opinion on if Ken is still the best. I'm predicting a future flame war in this topic.
yeah thats true i had a feeling about that when i made my first post...

AthrunZala

Smash Journeyman
ok than who is?
well there are people in japan who would give him a great run for his money. (Bs, cap jack, miekal) in the usa. pc and azen are better then him with M2K (who won cat 3) being right up there with him. if you want to go by recent skill and placings the numbers show that they are better then him. at the last 3 mlgs azen has finished 1st, 1st, 5th. at the last 2 mlgs pc has finished 2nd, 1st. try to make a case for ken being the best right now with facts and tournament placings. if you do you will realize that azen and pc have a. more attendence at tournies and b. higher placings.

also this is just opinion like the lat guy said so there really isnt a reason to disscuss it.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't believe in a "best" smash player. Once you get up to the highest level of competitive Smash Bros., the only thing that really decides a win is how well a person is playing and thinking on that given day. And possibly a little bit of luck. If you're not talking about Power Rankings, then it is probably a stretch to say Ken was ever the "best" skill wise. The only way we can really judge someone's playing is by the Power Rankings. And I don't think Ken is coming off from his perch any time soon. :p

linkw00t

Smash Journeyman
Victories wise, Ken is number one. He whooped some of the notable players in Japan. And I think overall, the competitive American Smash scene is a little higher skill wise than the Japanese Smash scene. While this isn't usually true for most Japanese fighting games, smash is different. :D

Lightshade

Smash Ace
Ken is no longer the, "King of Smash" as some referees say it. If you see the MLG tournament finals match, Ken loses to PC chris, after their third rematch Ken loses again. PC chris is stated as the new, "King of Smash."

offcell

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't believe in a "best" smash player. Once you get up to the highest level of competitive Smash Bros., the only thing that really decides a win is how well a person is playing and thinking on that given day. And possibly a little bit of luck. If you're not talking about Power Rankings, then it is probably a stretch to say Ken was ever the "best" skill wise. The only way we can really judge someone's playing is by the Power Rankings. And I don't think Ken is coming off from his perch any time soon. :p
agreed. How has Ken been keeping himself busy anyhow. Does anyone REALLY know? :p

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Ken's dominated the Smash scene for too long for his status to be lost so easily.

@Kada: That is a laughable statement. There was a point when he was winning almost every major tournament. If that didn't make him the best, then what does? You are confusing the words best and unbeatable. No one is suggesting that he was the latter; anyone is capable of being beaten, but that doesn't mean that someone isn't the best.

Lit

Smash Ace
Ken's dominated the Smash scene for too long for his status to be lost so easily.

@Kada: That is a laughable statement. There was a point when he was winning almost every major tournament. If that didn't make him the best, then what does? You are confusing the words best and unbeatable. No one is suggesting that he was the latter; anyone is capable of being beaten, but that doesn't mean that someone isn't the best.
agrreeeeedddddddd.................

AthrunZala

Smash Journeyman
this is why the power rankings are messed up. because people always look to the past trying to make arguments for someone. we are talking about right now people. not what has been. ken is no longer dominant. he has fallen. people like pc, m2k, kdj, and azen are beating him now and when he goes to a tournament he is no longer automaticly going to win if even 1 of those 4 is there. not to mention other notables such as isia and chu. right now best in the U.S.A is...........................

Mew2King.

as much as everyone hates him he won a huge tournament on the east coast recently with pc, kdj, and chu being there. he was never sent to losers and if i am right he beat pc kdj and chu. what has ken done lately??????? Mew2King is the best at smash right now in the U.S.A

Vall3y

Smash Lord
assuming ken isnt the 'best in the world' anymore, i doubt there is going to be dominant enough to be titled that way, as in no one beats everyone all the time.
imo ken gave away that title, rather than lost it, because he stopped playing the game, but hes probably the only one with the potential of having that title at all.

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
I believe after i put serious thought in it that the "Best" is something elusive EVEN for the best...I personally am not a pro player of smash (Meaning i cant wavedash at will...I cant shorthop with some players nicely, i cant use infinite shine with Fox) but even so i can give a pro player a hard time beating me! What im trying to say is that there is no meaning in the tourneys you beat...You may be ranked up first in the world but you can still BE and WILL defeated by random players...We are all humans after all...Perfect is no one among us.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
from what i understand he really doesnt even play that much anymre, sure he has smashfests n such but Ken has done so much and won so many tourneys, spilled his knowledge onto all that he encounters he will always be the best in my eyes and alot of us here at SWF.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Well, Ken got 1st in every 2006 tourney he's attended except 2--MLG NY and MLG Orlando.

And at pro level, skill comparisons don't exactly work the way they do at beginner / intermediate level. You could measure the skill difference between the top 2 in your city and that difference would be probably smaller than the difference between the theoretical #1 pro and the theoretical #20 pro.

Pariah

Smash Apprentice
Even Ken has off-days. There's going to be someone better than everyone.
If you watch paintball, take Dynasty. They were sitting pretty, but then Ollie Lang left and now someone else has flipped the bill.

Ken should be proud of what he has done for the sport, in my opinion. He's the guy that made other people take a look at Smash. In my book, he's still one of the best, lacking or not.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
this is why the power rankings are messed up. because people always look to the past trying to make arguments for someone. we are talking about right now people. not what has been. ken is no longer dominant. he has fallen. people like pc, m2k, kdj, and azen are beating him now and when he goes to a tournament he is no longer automaticly going to win if even 1 of those 4 is there. not to mention other notables such as isia and chu. right now best in the U.S.A is...........................

Mew2King.

as much as everyone hates him he won a huge tournament on the east coast recently with pc, kdj, and chu being there. he was never sent to losers and if i am right he beat pc kdj and chu. what has ken done lately??????? Mew2King is the best at smash right now in the U.S.A
Who are you to be making such a big statement? Just because we haven't seen too much of Ken lately doesn't mean he has fallen. MAybe he's taking a break... think about that?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Maybe he cares more about his studies than about Smash right now, he's still in school [college] IIRC.

Doc_Holiday

Smash Ace
Ken is the best in the U.S. and the world, I don't know why people would think otherwise. So what if he lost to PC? PC is a great player but just because Ken loses a few matches doesn't automatically mean he doesn't have title anymore.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
@thathappy: wrong, i'm disagreeing w/you, or did you not read my last post

edit: i hate to sit here and flame you but it really bothers me when people who aren't accomplished try to dethrone the greats. instead of worrying about ken maybe you should go practice and hope that you are fortunate enough to obtain even a small fraction of his skill and fame.

Mosk

Smash Cadet
For a while I really thought PC has really caught up to Ken 'cause of the MLG NY videos, but after being able watch the more recent stuff you realize there's something so ****ing sick about Ken's game and how he's able to come back with a force and it'll probably always be this way even if something like MLG NY happens again.

http://mlg.vo.llnwd.net/o10/2006/2DAL/ssbm/WBR5-pcchris.ken-1-4/playlist.asx
http://mlg.vo.llnwd.net/o10/2006/4CHI/ssbm/WBR2-ken.chillindude829-1-3/playlist.asx
http://mlg.vo.llnwd.net/o10/2006/1NY/ssbm/LBR8-tink.ken/playlist.asx
http://mlg.vo.llnwd.net/o10/2006/3ANA/ssbm/WBR4-mew2king.ken-1-3/playlist.asx

Don't know if doing the above if allowed but there they are, remove them if they 'cause any problems.

Mrobinson587

Smash Apprentice
Ken has fallen from " I can pwn everyone and get 1st place all the time"

Ken is now "I can pwn everyone but I lose to the best sometimes" for numerous reasons I'm guessing the biggest being I think people have been able to play him so his style/gameplan/mindgames have been picked apart...

I don't want to misquote Ken because I a:don't know him personally b:can't remember for sure but I think somewhere in the OC2 thread he said Mikeal might be the best.

Aesir

Smash Master
Ken will always be the best player in the world imo his record of wins far exceeds anyone in the smash community as a whole. 90% of the tourneys he attends he won.

As for Japanese players that are better then him, I disagree infact imo this is how the Japaneses compares to the US.

Japans average players Vs the US average players Japan wins.

however when you get into the top player categories I think the US beats them out.

Vampirekain

Smash Journeyman
Ive read all of the posts in this thread till now and i think you should all just stop before you all say stuff that you may regret later...Ive never seen this "Ken" in action and i don't think its necessary ever to do so. All i read here is Ken this Ken that Ken is the best No he was but he is not anymore...Ken is an ordinary guy with no special talents or anything! All he did was to play a game more than he played other games thus ignoring the enjoyment of gaming and i can guess the enjoyment of real life as well...And that caused him to elevate to a level above the ordinary...Now can anyone of you try to play smash literally 24/7 and then you'll be like "Who's Ken?! My name is #### and i can bring him to his knees" Finally all i'm trying to say is that you try to see things from different angles as well and see what truly matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom