• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone received direct ridicule for using Little Mac?

NNID
Majorasmask66
I know a number of people at my local Smash tourney ridicule the local Mac main, though some of it has to do with the fact that he's not particularly good and is fairly close to the stereotypical FG Mac, and doesn't play any other characters. Personally I like Mac in friendlies but not in tourney solely due to how volatile he is, and how easy it is to either get a win you didn't deserve with him or lose a match you should've won. I once Mac dittoed him in tourney and won, but the match felt super random and I only won because I landed a KO punch before he did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j7Ql35ZIag&list=PLw2nr8x4bFFfqVjVVe_iXpWqAm9gTdLra&index=8
See that is a problem that even many Little Mac mains have. Winning a match with a KO punch can feel lame if you just get beat up and thus was given it as a comeback mechanic. Thats why I hope they decrease the amount of meter gained from getting hit while raising the amount gained from dealing damage. Thats just me though.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
See that is a problem that even many Little Mac mains have. Winning a match with a KO punch can feel lame if you just get beat up and thus was given it as a comeback mechanic. Thats why I hope they decrease the amount of meter gained from getting hit while raising the amount gained from dealing damage. Thats just me though.
Losing a match you should've won due to a gimp feels pretty bad too. I love messing around with Mac when nothing's on the line, but I can't deal with playing him in tourney because playing him means you're going to get a good number of wins you don't deserve as well as losses you don't deserve.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The last thing close to a ridicule was when I fought a Pit in For Glory. The guy beat me, it was a pretty even match, but he wasn't happy. He wanted to 2-stock me or something because he changed to Sheik on the next fight.

I managed to hold my ground, trying a bunch of different tactics to make him uncomfortable, until at the last second, I managed to get a read a roll, and Usmashed him. He instantly DC'd, and it was extremely satisfying for me. :)

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
Honestly I kinda can see why it's such an object of disrespect. Little mac is usually chosen by twelve year olds who think that "OMG, DIS CHARACTER IS SO GUD I CAN LIEK PWN EVERYOEN, NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE AIR GAME"

not that I think that, it's just that that's the general consensus

NNID
Majorasmask66
Losing a match you should've won due to a gimp feels pretty bad too. I love messing around with Mac when nothing's on the line, but I can't deal with playing him in tourney because playing him means you're going to get a good number of wins you don't deserve as well as losses you don't deserve.
Well losing to a gimp in general feels awful. But with Little Mac i've felt that you either get blown up or destroy the other person. Well its crazy like this at least more than other characters is what I mean of course.
The last thing close to a ridicule was when I fought a Pit in For Glory. The guy beat me, it was a pretty even match, but he wasn't happy. He wanted to 2-stock me or something because he changed to Sheik on the next fight.

I managed to hold my ground, trying a bunch of different tactics to make him uncomfortable, until at the last second, I managed to get a read a roll, and Usmashed him. He instantly DC'd, and it was extremely satisfying for me. :)
I wouldnt assume that because they chose Shiek they were upset or what ever with you. Either way, considering he disconnected he had to be salty. It sure is great making people rage quit lol.

NNID
Majorasmask66
Honestly I kinda can see why it's such an object of disrespect. Little mac is usually chosen by twelve year olds who think that "OMG, DIS CHARACTER IS SO GUD I CAN LIEK PWN EVERYOEN, NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE AIR GAME"

not that I think that, it's just that that's the general consensus
I've heard a plethora of reasons why people hate Little Mac. I remember back at launch where tons of people claimed he was op. Some still do unfortunately. I think someone else in this thread put it best. Little Mac could get lower and lower on the tier list. That wont stop people from shaming you for using him. I heard they hate him because he is the worst which I don't agree with. Heck various tier lists while putting him low, often have characters set to worse then him. I here people hate him because he is annoying to fight. I here they don't like his design. I here don't like him because he is quote on quote "mindless" when I see various characters who are apparently also "mindless" yet dont get nearly as much hate albeit still get some hate. Regardless, I don't care wether or not people hate a video game character. I just hate it when people start bashing others for liking/using said character. Thats the problem. People hate Little Mac and the fact that the only two characters I see getting entire videos dedicated to them getting destroyed are Diddy Kong, commonly considered one of the best or the best, and Little Mac, commonly considered to be one of the worst, is ridiculous. And to an extent the hate has died down alot but lots of people still hate him. Once again thats not the problem but im just saying. Heck i've seen people hate him for one reason then stop agreeing wwith said reason and moved on to a new reason to hate him. The only other characters i see getting a large amount of hate besides Little Mac and Diddy Kong are Duck Hunt Dog and to an extent, Sonic.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't see any reason why people should be hating on other people just because they play as Little Mac, which is just plain stupid. I mean the main reason I believe why people like playing as him isn't because he's "overpowered" as they say but could be because they're huge fans of the Punch-Out!! games and/or just fans of boxing in general. Seriously, all the haters can make all the lame ass excuses they want, fact of the matter is that they're gonna have to get used to seeing more people who mains him cuz it's gonna happen eventually as Sm4sh's lifespan continues.

And people hating on a character just because that character is "top tier" or whatever is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. People should be able to pick and play whoever they want to play as without anyone making their choices for you.

JSmooth

Smash Rookie
NNID
bergstromnice
Little Mac is one of my favorites to play but I hate playing him just for the sole fact that ya everyone seems to get butthurt when I play him it's either "he's broken" or "he's way to easy to play against bro"a it gets really old

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
You got to love it when most people on FG will try to pull the camp the ledge trick. That alone is what I find insulting to both me and my opponent. "Oh look, its Little Mac, batter camp the ledge. He is so stupid, he can't get me here...wait did he just roll behi*KO punch*"

Or how about when people ditto you with Mac, then get destroyed?

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Well, I've only ever received hate for playing as Mac once. I dabble in Mac, he's a fun character. But anyways, the story...
I was on For Glory and I was just messing around, letting my opponent live up to high percents and the like, and I lost to a Fox. No big deal, I wasn't going for many kill moves anyways. He changed his tag to "REKT" and "RUN.MORE". This spiked my interest, seeing as I had faced Foxes much better than him a few matches before.
I switched to Little Mac, got my game face on (thank you based Doc), and 2-stocked him with less with 25%. He changed his tags to "MACNOOB" and "U.SUCK" and left...
...only to join the same room I was in again. He threw a foul word at me that I'd rather not say and left again.

Don't get too cocky, Starfox. :laugh:

Last edited:

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
I've gotten people getting on my butt for being a LM secondary, but I only secondary him because people have no clue how to play against a competent LM, especially with For Glory.

Top Bottom