• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Harsh Fact: Being Technical Doesn't Matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
Do you have trouble against n00bs???

I have pretty much reached the pinnacle of being "technical". I have a highly technical Falco. There is nothing else I must work on except for getting better (which comes with practice and experience), and improving my mind games. I do good against people that are very good and play on an advanced level. But when I face n00bs it seems more difficult. I am the leader of a crew (a not very well known crew (yet) but a fairly decent crew none the less) One of our members, how ever, is not so good) He plays very unorthodox and has pretty much NO technical skill what so ever. We tried to teach him how to shuffle and WD and he does it one in a blue. He beats me from time to time, preforming No advanced techniques, and mindlessly attacking, etc. While he usually doesn't win, he comes close. (Closer than people that ive faced that have mastered and utilize advanced techs.) He plays shiek, marth, and link. He walks up to you and tilts with every character with no mind games. He has beat people that are well known smashers also. Why does he do so good? Is there something that i am not doing? Please i am asking the smash community for help on this situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused:

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
How long have you been using the advanced techs? It takes a while to incorporate them into your game properly. For a long time they can make you worse.

pdk

Smash Lord
harsher fact: knowing how to perform them isn't knowing how to apply them

Elen

Smash Lord
Walking up to someone and tilting them in the face could be considered a mindgame ;) Anyways, advanced techs matter quite a bit, however they are not the ONLY thing that matters. Your reflexes, intuition, metagame, and knowledge of the game all make huge contributions to your skill level. Advanced techs are just one component of the game, but they still make a large difference. Also, knowing advanced techs is different from utilizing them correctly. Judging by your description of his play style, your doing worse against him simply because he plays differently from all your other opponents. However it also seems he has quite a few more weaknesses. Be patient, look for openings, and realized that advanced techs matter. He'll go down quite easy if you take the time to think your game out. []Deace ^.^

L-vis

Smash Apprentice
I guess the other people you face attack in a pattern. Basically you learn the pattern and counter it, but your friend (from what you said) has none so you have intangibles in place.

I guess this is what is happening, but what do I know...

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
thanks. and yes i utilize advanced techniques properly, perfectly, and effectively . Ive been using advanced techs for about a a year and a half, maybe a little more. Ive been playing almost every single day of my life for those years. lol. (idc if people say i have no life, weekdays=smash all day, weekends= party movies mall girls etc.) i think that you would classify me as being really good if you saw me play. Why do people judge your skill by the numbers of posts you have. because i am a "smash child" that means i haven't been using advanced techs for a long time? lol. No that is no the case. (I wanna see you continuously JC shine more than i can. lol. :) ) I just find facing n00bs a little more difficult than it should be. What would be a good strategy against a tilt spamming shiek?

Kada

Smash Journeyman
I agree with what everyone else has said so far, even though you know the advance techniques, that doesn't mean you can incorporate them correctly. These techniques only really help you once they become second nature, and you can use them without thinking. Of course, that doesn't sound like that's your problem ^_^

I think that sometimes when people train, they train as if they'll be facing someone who is much better them. When you train yourself to fight an oponent who uses all the advance techniques, and then you face someone who doesn't, it throws you off. I think sometimes you have to really simplify your strategy in order to face someone with a fairly simple strategy to begin with. Someone who doesn't know what dashdancing is doesn't see what you're doing as a fakeout, they think of it as "Why the heck is he doing that stupid thing when he could just attack me?" No reason to try and fake out a person who mindlessly rushes into battle, right? Instead, you could just shieldgrab them, or stop them with a tilt when they rush you.

I find that these technical skills really shine when you face someone of equal level as yourself, when mindgames are very important, and both players think about their approach, and strategies to counter their opponents.

Technical skills DO matter, but in my opinion, you shouldn't overdo them when they're not necessary.

(Heh, did that make any sense at all? <_<)

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
You couldn't be more wrong about technical skill. You only think you've reached your peak technical skill. Just wait until you watch tink play. He's so fast/technical he doesn't need mindgames. You've hit your cap for how far you think you can go.

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
harsher fact: knowing how to perform them isn't knowing how to apply them
ok to pdk and everyone else. I CAN APPLY THEM PERFECTLY! advance techs. have been second nature to me for a long while. Worrying about my l-cancel is definitely not some thing i have to do ive mastered these techs a long time ago. Now please dont ask if i can apply advanced techs again because now u know i can. And to everyone that is helpin with this thank you. I appriciate all the positive feed back. Keep it coming!

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
sounds like your problem is you can't adapt. a different player requires a different playstyle to beat. sitting there ftilting isn't a difficult tactic to beat so if you can't find a way around it you have a pretty big problem with not being able to adjust your playstyle

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
vids or gtfo
I do not have a camera. See this is why no one takes me serious because i dont have vids but there is nothing i can do because i dont have a camera if you wanna play me that would be better. When i get a camera you'll be seeing me play and you'll be hearing of me around the boards. Why do you have to answer so negatively? I just asked a simple question and you insult me. O yea and i dont think technical skill doesnt matter i just put that in the tittle because people dont like to respond to my threads. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom