• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hammers in General

rabbt

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a lot about the hammers in the guides and such, but there's some things I'd like others input on. Basically:
1. Best hammer overall
2. Effects on the shield
3. Possible combos?

I noticed that the 3 eats shields, even moreso than a 9, and if they don't shield it you can almost immediately bair. Then there's the 6 which is sort of like....a sideways meteor? I'm going to play around with hammers more and see what I can come up with, but I'm limited in partners and playtime, so input from other people would be great.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Sort of a novelty idea, but an 8 hammer will freeze them, and you can follow up for an easy Usmash.
The 2 hammer trips them and keeps them close, so you could possibly make an advantage of this.

just some ideas.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I usually do a back air to a hammer at low percentages...

napZzz

Smash Hero
dont bother with the hammer unless your doing it to someone who sucks or something

doodmahn

Smash Journeyman
I personally never use the hammer, as it's too slow and unreliable. Should I?

Oh and nappy, please quit ****ting on threads. :\

Neb

Smash Lord
Well, before we get into the meat of the technique, we need a solid way to land it. While performing it, gaw looses almost all momentum, and the attack itself only spans a small length in front of him. So has anyone tried d-smash into judge, or any other set-up?

thesultan2112

Smash Apprentice

i always try to use the hammer once or twice in a matach, like if you can antcipate wwhere the oppent is going to land or something, somtimes you could take your chances for a level 9 rather than charging up a smash attack

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
If I'm given an opening in a friendly match, and assuming I'm a stock up, I sometimes will chance a hammer. Theres not much to lose. Especially if I'm about to die. I could possibly be up two stock on them for a point!

But it doesnt see too much use in my normal play.

napZzz

Smash Hero

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
its my personal opinion. be quiet. if you've ever played anyone good at the game you'd know the hammer is hard to connect and you should try to avoid using it. You'll get no mercy from mk or snake when you miss your wanted 8 or 9 and your flying offscreen because you used a laggy move that is rarely any good and does'nt do much. Like mr. escalator said if your just messing up and your up a stock on someone then you can probably try to do it if you want but when you are doing some serious playing MY OPINION is that you should avoid the hammer overall. Ask cosmo or NoJ or any other good G&W player. I'm sure they'd say the same thing

In2D

Smash Apprentice
I found that a good time to use is when ledge hopping back onto the stage. It makes for a decent attack and when you land that 9 on them its really awesome.

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
Ive tested extensively with The Judge, and it sucks, I would only use it as a last ditch resort if im goin to lose anyway and hope for a 9.

For all you online g4m3rz its fun to use it there. I guess.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Good if they do something laggy just for a chance at a free kill, like Ike up B missing you or gannondorf doing anything(lol)

sTIMulant

Smash Apprentice
Arial?

i use the judge once or twice in a match
ive noticed i tend to use it in the air more than not
like shorthop to judge and then grab the edge kind of thing.

judge sucks if you dont connect. it can cost you a match

Mr. Game and Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Dude, there's no point in using it. You have a small chance of landing a hamer that you really want, and it would be so much easier and so much more reliable to kill them with any of his smashes. It's G&W's worst move.

Grunge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-wiggity
3DS FC
2938-8119-7719
D-Throw to a hammer is pretty cool
since they cant tell where you gonna throw them it takes
them by suprise, but hope for a
8 or 9 other than that its useless

IronSquirrel891

Smash Apprentice
i dunno, scaring off edgegarders with it sounds doable, but I would only use it as a last ditch desperation move.

or to piss off my friends with an epic 9.

IronSquirrel891

Smash Apprentice
if you manage to trap something in a corner and spam dilt, you can hammer before the get too damaged to not bounce out of the combo. doesnt work with the jab though.

sound do-able?

In2D

Smash Apprentice
Really for me there is only 2- 3 second windows that ill use the hammer in. And that is in the invincibility frames just after dying. Seems like over half the time I use the hammer during that time its a 9.

But really thats the only time I use it.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, im very distracted by your weird girl sig and can no longer answer your question. can't get..... eyes.... off...... wierd....girl....... ahhh :)

But seriously i don't use the hammer inless im in a friendly and a stock up or so, or if i just feel lucky but most the time i think theres better attacks you could use. It's worth a try every once in a while tho.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
I use the hammer quite a bit, and when it hits, it feels so good, maybe too good.

I think it might be interesting to see how it works in Shields, maybe theres something there to be found.

As for combos, i dont think it would be reliable, mainly cause of it randomness, but if you're fast enough, im sure u can work out combos out of anything, since pre-made combos arent as good as the ones that just happen. But that was talking for Hammer leading into a combo, but as a finisher, i bet its a good idea to do em, maybe get you opponent to think that after certain attack you'll jump away or something, so by the time they start to try to punish that, well change to a hammer as they rush into you, you might get lucky and hit a 9, or even so something still nice, like a 6 or w/e.

Neb

Smash Lord
Nine on a shield does absolutely nothing, though it does take a healthy chunk out of it. Utilt has a lot of combo potential, its just hard to set-up. For instance, two utilt's -> SH dair -> Dash Attack -> Judge. Or Utilt -> Dsmash, Utilt -> Upb, etc, works best at low %'s.

rabbt

Smash Journeyman
Another thing that I've had happen a few times is I kill someone, then run away. People seem to think their invincibility frames last a long time, so they just run at me, and I 9 them in the face (ftw once too!)

Top Bottom