• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hamilton, Ontario: Tourney at McMaster University!

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
Hey guys, I'm one of the executives of McMaster's video game club and even if you're not attending McMaster we're welcoming you to this event. Copy+Paste from the official release:

Alright, Now lets get straight to business:

WHEN: October 25th (THIS THURSDAY), 2007 Registration at 6:30 PM. The tournament(s) may last anywhere up to 10:30-11:00 at night.
WHERE: MDCL 3rd Floor [we have almost the entire floor exclusive for videogaming :) ] - More info on this later for you Smashboards guys who don't know where that is.
WHO: You
WHY: Why not?
WHAT:

SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE TOURNAMENT
- 16 People a round
- 4 people a round
- 3 stock
- No Items
- Non-Random levels [Some levels really suck]
- Cash Prize
-COST: $3 for entry
Reminder: For optimal comfort BYOC (bring your own controller), however we should have enough for everyone if you don't have a controller.

Pretty much it is standard tourney fair, by now I'm sure you know the drill.

Now, as for those that don't attend McMaster: You will have to google the directions yourself. It's a friggin' big university though, you can find it. :grin:

As for the "MDCL" building:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/external/tours/macmap.jpg

Big-*** map, be sure to load it in a separate window. MDCL (Michael DeGroote Centre of Learning... though it might show up as "school of business" on the map) is in the bottom-left of the map. *EDIT*: The map is old, but MDCL has taken the place of building #41 on that map. So it's essentially the same. Be sure to enter from the front. The Iknights registration desk should be right there =D. In the event that we get told to keep upstairs, just take the elevator to the third floor.

I think... that should be it. If you're good at 64 Smash, I recommend this as well:

SUPER SMASH BROS 64 TOURNAMENT
- 64 people a round
- 4 people face each other elimination style
- 3 Stock
- No Items
- Randomized Levels
- Cash Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place
COST: $3 for entry

Hope to see you there!

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Yoshi King, your name is familiar. Were you at the Anime North tournaments? Haha also give some more detail on this **** man. I am up as an extreme maybe now, so yeah.

If you can, put up the entry fee to $5. lol Nobody likes change, I hope it's not a bother. Since some of us will be breaking our backs to get here.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
Haha sorry I didn't want to post again so soon because you seem to be the only one interested.

I've actually been meaning to come to a lot of tournaments (Mississauga, Anime North, etc.) but Mississauga ended with me in a car accident and unable to use my hands, which I had to (painfully and no pun intended, hahaha) explain to you guys that I couldn't go.

Anime North, I was interested, but it turned out that one of my friends that I hadn't seen in a couple of years was going and it ended in me just not having the time, and to be honest skill. I'm good at Smash, but if I don't keep up practise, I get owned hard, which is why I'm happy Brawl will have online to keep me on my toes. Now that I think about it though I did play a crapload of FFAs on Saturday and Sunday, I was usually either Yoshi or Sheik.

Anyways, for anybody else that's interested (and this will be the deal maker/breaker) the tournament, due to time constraints is going to be a free for all (up to the top 2) so if that affects your character choice, there you go. Depending on the amount of people, either the top 2 from each FFA, or the survivor of each FFA, will be the one(s) to move on. Items (as explained) will be off, and otherwise all tournament rules will apply (banned stages, no stalling, 3-4 stock timed matches, etc). There will be some tournament-able players present, so if you're looking for a challenge there'll be one.

As for location and everything... well, I've already written everything there is to know. McMaster, at MDCL (Michael Degroote Center of Learning), from 6:30-10:30. $3 entry fee, pot is dependant on the amount of entrants.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
We got like 2-3 others that are interested, but it's really iffy since it's on a Thursday, which is understandable. You guys should also do a doubles tournament along with this, 2v2. It seems that the crowd likes playing in the 4 player environment, and what better to do that in a doubles match where even more strategy is involved. If it's new to them, that's fine. Experience is what makes you better, that's why it'd be even better to take advantage of this since a lot of the more experienced/pro players might be coming to this. I'm not trying to be money hungry or anything, it's just that I want to get in as much as smash possible and such.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
We got like 2-3 others that are interested, but it's really iffy since it's on a Thursday, which is understandable. You guys should also do a doubles tournament along with this, 2v2. It seems that the crowd likes playing in the 4 player environment, and what better to do that in a doubles match where even more strategy is involved. If it's new to them, that's fine. Experience is what makes you better, that's why it'd be even better to take advantage of this since a lot of the more experienced/pro players might be coming to this. I'm not trying to be money hungry or anything, it's just that I want to get in as much as smash possible and such.
That's good to hear, the more the merrier. Even if you guys can't make it though no worries, we'll likely have 50+ people signing up for Melee. Guess we'll have to see!

And yeah, sorry about the timing for Thursday. Friday events tend to not work out, university students all leave for home.

Anyways about the Doubles tournament, I am more than willing to host one. I just need to draw up some brackets and hope that we get a lot of entrants for it, since I'm not sure how many of the smashers are coming in pairs and there are definitely some players that aren't very good (just coming for the fun of it). The only forseeable problem in my mind is that the other administrators of the I-Knights are pretty ignorant of the details of Smash's community (they're more into the Halo crowd), and I'm not sure they would support the idea of 2 vs 2 since it's not "right" in their eyes. I'll see what I can do though... half the time they're going to be manning other rooms, so I might be able to throw some doubles stuff under the table. Guess we'll see come the day of, but I actually completely agree with you. And don't worry, I don't think you're money hungry, haha. I personally know three "pro" players that main Samus, Ganondorf, and Fox, so here's hoping we get some good competition!

BTW Tyrant, if you do end up being able to make it, come and introduce yourself to me. My name's Stephen and I'll likely be wearing either a pink 1-Up shirt, or a red Nintendo Rehabilitation Clinic shirt. Otherwise you should be able to find me since I'll be taking care of all the Melee-related stuff.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
That's good to hear, the more the merrier. Even if you guys can't make it though no worries, we'll likely have 50+ people signing up for Melee. Guess we'll have to see!

And yeah, sorry about the timing for Thursday. Friday events tend to not work out, university students all leave for home.

Anyways about the Doubles tournament, I am more than willing to host one. I just need to draw up some brackets and hope that we get a lot of entrants for it, since I'm not sure how many of the smashers are coming in pairs. The only forseeable problem in my mind is that the other administrators of the I-Knights are pretty ignorant of the details of Smash's community (they're more into the Halo crowd), and I'm not sure they would support the idea of 2 vs 2 since it's not "right" in their eyes. I'll see what I can do though... half the time they're going to be manning other rooms, so I might be able to throw some doubles stuff under the table. Guess we'll see come the day of, but I actually completely agree with you. And don't worry, I don't think you're money hungry, haha. I personally know three "pro" players that main Samus, Ganondorf, and Fox, so here's hoping we get some good competition!

BTW Tyrant, if you do end up being able to make it, come and introduce yourself to me. My name's Stephen and I'll likely be wearing either a pink 1-Up shirt, or a red Nintendo Rehabilitation Clinic shirt. Otherwise you should be able to find me since I'll be taking care of all the Melee-related stuff.

That's awesome, listen man I know running tournaments isn't easy especially when you're not too fond of the rules/setup of one. If I do come, would you like me to help you? I usually assist a great deal in the tournaments around our region, I would gladly like to give a helping hand with this. Would that be okay with you bro?

That way we could get in both singles/doubles. A 64 smash tournament and have a bit of time left to help/assist others that want to get better. It would be reallly good, we got a real brainy smash player that's coming, he would probably assist and help out a lot of the players to get better, along with myself with those that I can help out too.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
That's awesome, listen man I know running tournaments isn't easy especially when you're not too fond of the rules/setup of one. If I do come, would you like me to help you? I usually assist a great deal in the tournaments around our region, I would gladly like to give a helping hand with this. Would that be okay with you bro?

That way we could get in both singles/doubles. A 64 smash tournament and have a bit of time left to help/assist others that want to get better. It would be reallly good, we got a real brainy smash player that's coming, he would probably assist and help out a lot of the players to get better, along with myself with those that I can help out too.
64 stuff we shouldn't need to worry about. Strangely enough, there's one other admin of the I-knights that is really into the 64 competitive scene so he and the other guys will be managing that, I only need to worry about Melee =). But sure, if it comes to it any additional help in running the Melee tournaments would be greatly appreciate it.

And yeah, there's actually going to be a bit of free play before the tournament (I believe it officially starts at 7:00), so before/after the tournament I'm sure we're going to be having lots of free games for people to improve upon. Here's hoping! Now, to get drawing up those brackets... do you know if there's a bracket maker online anywhere?

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
64 stuff we shouldn't need to worry about. Strangely enough, there's one other admin of the I-knights that is really into the 64 competitive scene so he and the other guys will be managing that, I only need to worry about Melee =). But sure, if it comes to it any additional help in running the Melee tournaments would be greatly appreciate it.

And yeah, there's actually going to be a bit of free play before the tournament (I believe it officially starts at 7:00), so before/after the tournament I'm sure we're going to be having lots of free games for people to improve upon. Here's hoping! Now, to get drawing up those brackets... do you know if there's a bracket maker online anywhere?
There is, but it's strictly 1v1. I know you're doing 4 people per round, but that aside. Is this going to be double elimination? also that entry fee if it does turn out to be a cash prize, how much of it will you guys be splitting to 1st and 2nd (or even 3rd if you guys really are interest)? It's just the fact that this is 2 days away, these things should be cleared up.

EDIT: What stages are you guys planning on using? there is a list of tournament legal stages and stuff, if you would like help with finding that out and such, just ask

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
There is, but it's strictly 1v1. I know you're doing 4 people per round, but that aside. Is this going to be double elimination? also that entry fee if it does turn out to be a cash prize, how much of it will you guys be splitting to 1st and 2nd (or even 3rd if you guys really are interest)? It's just the fact that this is 2 days away, these things should be cleared up.

EDIT: What stages are you guys planning on using? there is a list of tournament legal stages and stuff, if you would like help with finding that out and such, just ask
Oh bugger, now that I think about it in terms of competitive Smash, this really is an extremely poorly-planned tournament... much more oriented to casuals. Let's see if I can collect my thoughts and pull this together.

In terms of the brackets, no worries, I'll likely just draw up one myself for all possible scenarios.

By double elimination I assume you mean that system used in pro tourneys where you get two possible losses (winners/losers brackets etc) before being kicked out? As far as I know, no, it's going to be single elimination (You lose once, tough luck). I'm going to see if I can incorperate a losers bracket... hmm.

In terms of the prize being split, at the very least it will be split (something like 75/25) for first and second place, though third place is debatable. If there is a third place, it will likely be 50/35/15. I'll find that out ASAP.

As for stages, I know exactly which stages are banned/counterpick/etc etc. so I've got it all planned out, it will be standard tournament stages.

My apologies for this tourney being rather poorly planned out. Ugh, I feel so idiotic right now.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
^ Some stages lag in multi-player. Fountain of Dreams and Mute City are 2 tournament legal stages that suffer from this problem. If GTA folks were to come up, could we split up in the bracket purposely so we don't have to face each other until later?

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
^ Some stages lag in multi-player. Fountain of Dreams and Mute City are 2 tournament legal stages that suffer from this problem. If GTA folks were to come up, could we split up in the bracket purposely so we don't have to face each other until later?
Yep, I know =D. Thanks for double-checking though.

And of course! I'm doing that for anybody that comes in a group. As long as you guys let me know who you are, I'll be able to split up everybody effectively so that poor players are weeded out, and that you're only facing one another later on (near the end). Unfortunately this will end up with you guys vs. some of McMaster's best, so it's not guaranteed you'll make it into the top 4. Keeping that in mind though there's only 4 "good" McMaster players that I know of (myself included), so... yeah XD.

But yeah, I'll have complete control over the brackets, and if any of you plan on entering the 64 tourney together you can ask the people there to be put up in different brackets, they'll be fair about it.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
^ Out of curiosity then how many people per FFA advance and what stages are you planning to use?
I also second the notion of a teams tournament.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
^ Out of curiosity then how many people per FFA advance and what stages are you planning to use?
I also second the notion of a teams tournament.
I'm honestly hoping for 2 per FFA. I would really hate for some people to be eliminated just because they were doing well, but some other guy decided to camp out and run for half the match and then ended up winning due to having the most amount of stocks left. I'm going to be calculating how much time each match can take (sudden deaths included) in order to maximize the amount of good players that move on, and so on and so forth. If it turns out that not many people sign up, we can even do 1 vs 1, which would rock, as well as a possible teams tournament. Again, it all depends on how many people sign up. I'll be writing up as many tournament scenarios as possible.

As for stages. Obviously FD, Kirby 64, Pokemon Stadium, and Battlefield are in for random. I'm currently debating whether Yoshi's story is too small for a 4 player match (ditto for Rainbow Cruise), and if DK jungle 64 would be appropriate for FFA. All of the above (save DK 64) will be available in singles, as well as others. What do you guys think?

Europhoria

Smash Lord
IMO the big 3 neutral stages are good for an FFA. Then for singles (what singles?) just the standard set up would be good I suppose.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
IMO the big 3 neutral stages are good for an FFA. Then for singles (what singles?) just the standard set up would be good I suppose.
Sounds about right.

Singles is more of a "Just in case" thing. If not many people enter it's possible for us to do singles. Additionally, the top 4 players will be playing singles matches to decide the top 3.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Hmm, Yoshiz. We might be running into this sorta late, you mind holding our matches down? Also, PM me your cell so that I can call you and tell you what's going on and such.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
Hmm, Yoshiz. We might be running into this sorta late, you mind holding our matches down? Also, PM me your cell so that I can call you and tell you what's going on and such.
Haha oh man Tyrant, I don't have a cell phone, sorry dude. If you want though I'll push back all the matches you guys are in until you show up, but I can only guarantee about a half-hour-45 minutes at most. :( Do you think that would be enough? Glad to hear you can make it, though!

Europhoria

Smash Lord
Can we get an exact address on the building, or a neighboring address? We're a bit shaky with details on how to get there and need to mapquest.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
Can we get an exact address on the building, or a neighboring address? We're a bit shaky with details on how to get there and need to mapquest.
Sorry for the slow response guys. Night classes FTL. -_-;

Anyways... Mcmaster's exact address is 1280 Main St W, Hamilton. Conversely you could look for McMaster hospital which is on campus, it's pretty much the same thing; I have a map of the grounds in the first post for how to get to MDCL. Remember, it's the Michael DeGroote Centre of Learning even though the map may say "school of business". If you guys get to Mac but are really lost, just ask around; if someone doesn't know where MDCL is ask where the student centre is, and then find out from someone at the Student centre. =D

Again, on the map I provided, MDCL is number 39. It's relatively close to the Health Sciences building

*EDIT*: Hmm... upon further investigation, I realized that the map provided is old. DON'T WORRY: do you see the parking lot marked "P" In between buildings 41 and 21? That's where you'll be wanting to go. Technically, MDCL has taken the place of building 41.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
So what are the current events we plan on doing? Aswell, what are we doing about the ruleset? Can we get that cleared up if you don't mind?

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
So what are the current events we plan on doing? Aswell, what are we doing about the ruleset? Can we get that cleared up if you don't mind?
Not quite clear on what you're asking here, my apologies (Kinda feeling under the weather). What exactly do you guys want to know? In terms of whether or not it's Singles/FFA/Teams though, I'm not able to give a definite answer due to the fact that we don't know how many people come to an event until the actual event. If that's a deal-breaker for you guys, I'll understand, since it is kind of hazy in the first place.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
First question: Meaning singles, doubles, ssb or whatever. How much is admission for each? still the $3? for all 3? or each? Or are you bumping up to $5.

Second question: yah so this is gonna be FFA for a bit. What will be the format of tournament? single elim or double? when will it get to the 1v1 phase and such. How many setups do we have? and such. I know it's asking a lot but these are the things that come up when running a tournament. I hope you get better soon aswell, if you are feeling sick.

Edit: We're coming to this for sure, confirmed and ****. :] + on time

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
First question: Meaning singles, doubles, ssb or whatever. How much is admission for each? still the $3? for all 3? or each? Or are you bumping up to $5.

Second question: yah so this is gonna be FFA for a bit. What will be the format of tournament? single elim or double? when will it get to the 1v1 phase and such. How many setups do we have? and such. I know it's asking a lot but these are the things that come up when running a tournament. I hope you get better soon aswell, if you are feeling sick.
Admission for each separate tournament is $3, so assuming none of you guys are entering the 64 tournament it should cost $6-$9 at most if you enter multiple times. So it's basically $3 per tourney per person. If you can, I strongly recommend bringing change (Toonies/Loonies). I highly doubt the guys thought ahead in terms of how many people are bringin 5's expecting us to have hoards of toonies, so every little bit helps =D

And hey no, it's not asking a lot, you just wanna get the bases down mate, and I understand that.

So, I just downloaded the Tio bracket maker and for now, I'm going to say that the tournament will be single-elimination. I assume that double-elimination is preferable, so let's hope that our time constraints allow for it.

I think I'm going to format the tournament so that midway through (when not-good players are hopefully weeded out), we can get some real action going on with 1 vs 1 games. Haha, see, the option here is that we could go with best 2/3 in single elimination, or a 1-match double elimination... (which to choose? XD). The problem with this is that if it is going to take too long, I'll have to delay it until the top 8 for 1 vs 1 matches. I'm honestly hoping that we just get around 64 people, that would make this so very easy for me.

I think that covers most of it... I apologize for continuing to be relatively vague. And no worries about me being sick, I just need to catch up on sleep since I haven't gotten much lately. I'll be able to sleep in tomorrow so all is well. =D

By all means, if you have any other questions/concerns I'd be glad to do my best to answer them. In the meantime I'm gonna use this funky new tourney chartmaker for the possibility of singles matches. =D

Edit: Glad to hear you guys will be able to make it! I greatly look forward to meeting some fellow smashers.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
will there be any hot guys there?
:cool: I'm pretty well-off if I do say so myself. heh, kidding.

Anyways I'm currently drawing up brackets and I just thought of an interesting way to draw up FFA brackets- I'm going to see if I can "cheat" the system and act like the 4 people in an FFA are in teams, and just change the names around when 2 people win. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to set it so that the top 2 from the preliminary rounds go on. More updates soon. =D

Europhoria

Smash Lord
If you wanna do a 1 match double that's pretty gay on it's own. Evo World had that. But what I believed happened was the Winner's bracket was single game, and loser's was 2/3.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Haha this should be fun, I wouldn't mind taking it easy abit and playing new people, haha. I'll try the brush up my 64 skills :000. lol.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
If you want to just screw around on 64, I think I mentioned free play... is free. Haha.

Just a question if you're familiar with the Tio bracketmaker Tyrant: Is it possible to edit the bracket manually even after it's already been generated?

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
If you want to just screw around on 64, I think I mentioned free play... is free. Haha.

Just a question if you're familiar with the Tio bracketmaker Tyrant: Is it possible to edit the bracket manually even after it's already been generated?
You can swap players around, I can show you how if you like :]. Yeah there is also the thing of single matches vs best of 3 and stuff.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
You can swap players around, I can show you how if you like :]. Yeah there is also the thing of single matches vs best of 3 and stuff.
That would be a lifesaver, thank you so much. As long as it doesn't take too long to switch seeding, it should be okay to show me when the tournament rolls around, just in case we need it. Thanks much!

I think what I'm going to do is two scenarios: In a single elimination tournament, I'm going to make it best 2/3. In double elimination, it's 1/1, for both chances. As a backup though I'll make a double elimination 2/3. Man, this is getting tough. :psycho:

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
That would be a lifesaver, thank you so much. As long as it doesn't take too long to switch seeding, it should be okay to show me when the tournament rolls around, just in case we need it. Thanks much!

I think what I'm going to do is two scenarios: In a single elimination tournament, I'm going to make it best 2/3. In double elimination, it's 1/1, for both chances. As a backup though I'll make a double elimination 2/3. Man, this is getting tough. :psycho:
*patpat* Trust me, it's not easy when it's your first. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it. I personally perfer bo3 rather than the double elim. Even if it's single elim bo3 (best of fyi).

Or, you can generate a seperate bracket for top 16 or 8 whatever you like, and set up double elim/bo3. :000

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
Alright guys, I'm truly hoping this year's Smash tourney is going to turn out well. I've decided that I'm really going to do my best to get 1 vs 1 play (Best 2/3, single elimination) after the first or second rounds, which will be used to filter out scrubs/unskilled players in FFAs. You guys better brush up on your survival skills! If all goes well, the 2 survivors will advance.

Tyrant, to be honest, I think that the sooner you guys can show up, the better. I think having some guys with actual tourney experience would help me out greatly in organizing the brackets, and I truly appreciate your guys' willingness to help.

I think that should cover everything, so unless you guys have some questions I think that should be it for now. Can't wait to meet you all tomorrow!

Also I have confirmed good looking guys will be there, for that one person asking... >_>

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
What's the estimated number of people entering?
Anywhere from 50-128 people. Hopefully in the range of 64 (or 128 >_>) which will make things so much easier for me despite time constraints. Unfortunately I have no clear idea though. McMaster students are slackers and usually just show up.

Top Bottom