• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halp!

Smash Apprentice
My friend I'm playing with regularely has recently picked up Olimar and the only thing I can tell ye is that I lose 80% of the matches (he's one of falcon's worst matchups IMO)

Would like some advice how to beat him.

Roager

Smash Ace
Dude, a Falcon is **** against an Oli. I mean, that's like a Ganny/Marth matchup. You just don't win.

The only thing you can do is mindgames him to throw pikminz somewhere that you aren't, so you have the punishment opportunity. Other than that, it's you hoping for him to screw up.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Hrmmm, Okay with Olimar you can do one of many things. I've only won about 30% of my match ups against a good to great Olimar player.

Olimar's primary assault on Falcon can usually be gaged on tilts and his abusive throw. Avoiding these are hard as Olimar is small and being the fact that we use Falcon, means we have to close in on him to get any effective move off. But the danger lies in close combat with Oli, as this is when the priority battle takes place.

I find using lots of jabs and throws to be the most effective. Against spammy Olimars, you can effectively disembowel his Pikmin by Falcon Kicking at around half the distance of Olimar, so you don't end up getting shield blocked + thrown.

I'm currently working on the section of the matchups thread on Olimar, sorry for the wait by the way, as work has really got me hampered.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Hrmmm, Okay with Olimar you can do one of many things. I've only won about 30% of my match ups against a good to great Olimar player.

Olimar's primary assault on Falcon can usually be gaged on tilts and his abusive throw. Avoiding these are hard as Olimar is small and being the fact that we use Falcon, means we have to close in on him to get any effective move off. But the danger lies in close combat with Oli, as this is when the priority battle takes place.

I find using lots of jabs and throws to be the most effective. Against spammy Olimars, you can effectively disembowel his Pikmin by Falcon Kicking at around half the distance of Olimar, so you don't end up getting shield blocked + thrown.

I'm currently working on the section of the matchups thread on Olimar, sorry for the wait by the way, as work has really got me hampered.
Kick slows down on pikmen on the ground which gives him more time to react, red pikminwill go right through it, and he can just grab you in the kick, no shielding needed. Raptor Boost is even more ******** since it triggers on pikmin. Sadly, there is no easy approach on him.

If you get reasonably close to him, it's hard to avoid his moves because shielding can get you grabbed and his grab's hitbox duration is long enough that it is really hard to spot dodge. The good thing though is his DSmash range isn't that great, and our DSmash easily outranges it.

For his pikmin throw, they all latch on except the purple one, which means no knockback on most of them, so if he spams pikmin throw time an approach as he starts throwing one and you should be able to catch him. Knowing the difference in sound and animation of the throw from the FSmash and the grab is really important for figuring out when to approach.

carnivore

Smash Cadet
I play against a friend who picks Olimar every once in a while. He plays the spot dodge, grab, smash kind of style, chucking pikmin when he thinks hes safe. Wogrim is very right when he says that its a perfect time to bumrush them. I personally never bothered to learn what Olimars specific moves looked like, smashes/throws/grabs all looked too much alike for me to bother, so i pretty much was always bumrushing.

Used a lot dash attacks, raptor boost, and falcon kick too, gets rid of the pikmin and then you can really turn on some pressure. Dash attack knocks Olimar up at a good angle. Grabs are golden if you can get them, Olimar will usually lose to anything coming from under. Getting him in the air also sets up the easy edge guard. Doing this a lot pretty much got my friend to stop picking Olimar and never even learn him.

forget approaching from the air, Usmash will end you.

Tenki

Smash Hero
If you're playing a really grabby Olimar, SH whenever possible. Stay in the air, and try to keep him in the air.

I haven't messed around with this yet for Falcon, but if you hit the Pikmin as they're coming out (like, before their attackbox comes out), you can effectively nullify their attacks. Probably best done with certain moves with a bit of disjointedness, or just fast startup.

Top Bottom