• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halloween Party Mafia ~ Over! Who drowned bobbing for apples? Who won Best Costume?

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
"Hate" is probably poor word usage on my part. I remember not liking the 1st 4 or so movies because they took my childhood imagination and made it all weird. I think I thought they were good, except they sort of ruined it for when I read the books again... if that makes sense??

The last 4 movies were all amazing though, which is why watching the first 4 again could be amazing considering I've probably lost my childhood imagination by now, and especially if the aforementioned game is involved.

Considering timezones... 9pm EST is like 11-12pm over here... I guess that's actually doable.
For sure. When I was a kid reading them, I imagined Draco Malfoy as a Nidorino walking around on two legs and wearing clothing, and they didn't portray him like in my imagination either. Jerks. So yeah, since then the movies changed my thinking for the most part.

I still sometimes imagine Sirius Black as Dick Dastardly, though.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Where does your assessment differ?
The seventh and eighth movies, taken as one film, are probably my favorite, mostly because I think it makes the biggest improvement over its source material (although I only read the book once, years ago, I will admit). The problems it has mostly come in the form of plotting, which are what plagued the book. But the movie gets right what that book couldn't—the feeling of true despair and loss, the appropriately epic final showdown. As the story of the books became less about the charm of Hogwarts/the wizarding world and more about this big, sweeping good vs. evil thing, it really started to stretch more and more beyond Rowling's skills as a writer. The movie fixes that, in my opinion. Things that weigh on the book, like repetitive aimlessness of searching for Horcuxes and the dues ex machina nature that wands and wand owners take in that book, are either handled much better or rendered almost totally moot in the movie. In the book, the horcrux search was such a slog, and I kept being reminded of the absurdity of the task at hand (find the rest of the Horcruxes with basically no hints as to what or where they are). In the movie, that portion is long and certainly not very fun, but it's got the trio acting at their best, and it's paced and shot in a way that feels genuinely desperate and somewhat hopeless, while also being propelled at the right moments to keep the audience's mind off how truly absurd it is for a writer to present her protagonists with a final challenge like this and give neither them nor the audience any crumbs to go on. In the movie, it feels depressing, as it should. In the book, it just seemed stupid most of the time. And obviously Rowling never would have been able to write the Hogwarts battle in a way that would have been able to rival what a movie could do with it. Also, Alan Rickman's at his best in Hallows Part 2, which is saying something considering what he had done in the series up to that point.

I would also say that I think I like Order of the Phoenix better than you seem to.

#HBC | Nabe

Agreed that the movie had better pacing, but disagreed on the scope of the ending, which I don't think should've been epic at all. The book gets across a very specific message that the movie doesn't, which is the idea that Voldemort's just a man in the end, his dead corpse laying there after a very unepic fight that Harry knows he'll come away from alive because of the meaningful experience he just had. It's not even a confrontation in the books; his death is the climax and him coming back is the denouement.

That said, the movie's ending was very entertaining. The scope of the battle was larger, and I liked the parallel Ron/Hermione/Neville sequence with the Harry/Voldy chase, but when they got into smoke and had a big wizard lightning fight and then Voldemort exploded into ashes, that was a bit silly. A lot of people chuckled during the epilogue, which could've been avoided if they had set the emotional tone that the book did.

As for Order of the Phoenix, there was nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't stand out in my mind in between Goblet and HBP, and as much as I enjoy many of the scenes and extra dialogue, I always feel it dragging.

And eww Cho Chang, Harry don't kiss that girl, look at how sad Ginny looks :(

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The smoke has always been senseless but eye-catching. Voldemort evaporating was definitely silly; it makes it seem like he was never a real person/thing-with-no-nose. But I'll never say no to a good Wizard Lightning Battle, just as I will never say no to gratuitous light saber usage.

I do agree that most of the action after Harry's "revival" is unnecessary, and actually detracts from the movie as a whole because the most emotionally charged point of the movie—indeed, of the whole series—has already passed by then. Would have been better if they had clipped through what they had to get through a little quicker.

The siege on Hogwarts itself is really what I thought was done well. Not just because it's epic (which I do think was necessary for a movie like this; the medium demands grandiosity in a way books don't), with monsters and rubble and stone soldiers, but because it also touches on the cost of war/violence delicately. A glance at a killed student here, a cornered teacher there, people wailing over fallen loved ones for just long enough. It didn't ever come off as too cheesy or excessive to me, which is very difficult to do. It flicks a heartstring and then it moves on.

I found the epilogue to be exactly as dumb/laughable/cringe-inducing as I did in the book. Should have been left in Rowling's vault as far as I'm concerned.

Slashes.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Are a few paragraphs long? Or is your attention span short? Philosoraptor would like to know.

They're really not that interesting though, so you're not missing much. Unless you really want to know some detailed opinions on Harry Potter media from Harry Potter nerds.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
too busy doing stuff on skype while trying to read threads lol

means that i

oh ok, i guess i'm good then. tl;dr would recommend Nabe games

#HBC | Nabe

The siege on Hogwarts itself is really what I thought was done well. Not just because it's epic (which I do think was necessary for a movie like this; the medium demands grandiosity in a way books don't), with monsters and rubble and stone soldiers, but because it also touches on the cost of war/violence delicately. A glance at a killed student here, a cornered teacher there, people wailing over fallen loved ones for just long enough. It didn't ever come off as too cheesy or excessive to me, which is very difficult to do. It flicks a heartstring and then it moves on.

I found the epilogue to be exactly as dumb/laughable/cringe-inducing as I did in the book. Should have been left in Rowling's vault as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, it was good for sure. I have specific problems (Lavender Brown dying to resolve the conflict between her and Hermione, Hagrid randomly showing up in the Forbidden Forest without being shown for the rest of the movie, the massive army of entirely Death Eaters) but I agree and agreed earlier that movies require some consession for the medium.

The epilogue definitely read as HP1-style Rowling, and she should've rewritten it, although I liked it despite that. But it wasn't the content that caused most people to laugh, it was the makeup, and that was exaserbated by not setting the same tone as the book at the end.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
awww, i don't remember why the epilogue was funny?
except that harry/ron/hermione were supposed to be (19?) years older and didn't look it at all lolll

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
awww, i don't remember why the epilogue was funny?
except that harry/ron/hermione were supposed to be (19?) years older and didn't look it at all lolll
It's just pretty uninspired and cheesy. Ron and Hermione end up together. Harry and Ginny end up together. Harry's kid is named after Dumbledore and Snape. It's just a dumb, boring, typical happily ever after scenario, which makes it really unnecessary. She should have just let the fans imagine their own happy ending for everyone if that's all she was going to do with it, rather than forcing this specific way into canon.

And yeah, the make up was bad. Or the plan to put them in make up rather than just casting some older actors was bad. Lol Draco.

#HBC | Nabe

It's just pretty uninspired and cheesy. Ron and Hermione end up together. Harry and Ginny end up together. Harry's kid is named after Dumbledore and Snape. It's just a dumb, boring, typical happily ever after scenario, which makes it really unnecessary. She should have just let the fans imagine their own happy ending for everyone if that's all she was going to do with it, rather than forcing this specific way into canon.

And yeah, the make up was bad. Or the plan to put them in make up rather than just casting some older actors was bad. Lol Draco.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
yeah apparently harry potter stuff took place earlier than when it was actually released.

hermione's only 10 years older than me, oh well.

and the actress is like, my age anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It was cuz I was so obv town

I dunno how I always get not lynched when I'm almost getting lynched... unless it's someone cunning like OS D:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Don't forget you also won Metakirby's game as town too. : P

Top Bottom