• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hadouken! Ryu's Official Thread! - We do EX Moves to SMASH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Besides that black ink thing, it wasnt hard to Guess his moveset. Talking about the ink thing, how does it work?
Ps: I thought it would be that thing where The SF character takes The damage and then started healing it instead of The ink punch.
That's the Focus Attack.

It's a move that you can charge to stun your opponent, and it has super armor.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Fellow World Warriors, I saw everything that happened and I can guarantee you that I'm hyped to play the heck out of Ryu. It was a good thing that my girlfriend woke me up early in the morning just to see the videos when she found them. Needless to say, I was so excited and had to hold my breath since me screaming would awaken her entire family upstairs.

So to make things brief, I am hyped to play as my favorite Street Fighter character just like how she's ready to try out her new main.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Besides that black ink thing, it wasnt hard to Guess his moveset. Talking about the ink thing, how does it work?
Ps: I thought it would be that thing where The SF character takes The damage and then started healing it instead of The ink punch.
It's called a Focus Attack.

It's a chargeable move that will absorb any and all attacks (apart from grabs) until it's released. If it's fully charged, Ryu will deliver an unblockable punch, and if the opponent gets hit by it, they will slowly crumple to the ground, leaving them open for a big combo or (in this case) a Smash Attack.

Last edited:

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman

Looks like Ryu isn't the only fighter crossing over into Smash. Looks like Mii costumes were found for Heihachi (Tekken), Akira (Virtua Fighter) and Jacky Bryant (Virtua Fighter)

Chaineblood

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chaineblood
3DS FC
5000-3986-8173
EX hadoukens and shorykens will probably work how Samus missiles work: do a smash input for the EX version and a regular input for spammy style

DeNice

Smash Cadet
NNID
DeNice1776
3DS FC
2509-1398-2342
This man better have his SFIII Second Impact/Third Strike themes in this game or I'm going to be disappointed. They fit that new Suzaku Castle stage way too well to not be in it.

I'm an avid fighting game player (been playing since Super Street Fighter II on SNES) so I got the feeling Ryu's most likely going to be the most complicated character to learn if they do this like I think they're going to. Just putting him into Smash won't be enough; it won't do him justice as the definitive fighting game character. Just from the leak video I saw a combo that looked like two normal crouching attacks leading into his Tatsumaki kick, so that makes me think he's going to have unique fighting mechanics to him. It looks like Project M Lucario's combo system with some altered stuff. As SF has emphasis on extended normal attacks that create combos, I see him gaining a standard A combo attack, but not only having the ability to cancel into his B moves on hit, but also be able to do a crouching combo attack from his downtilt+A, like the leak video showed.

So that input could be something like, downtilt+A,A then side+B during the second hit for the Tatsu, just like SF. It'll be a bit like the magic series in Marvel Vs Capcom, Darkstalkers or Street Fighter X Tekken when if you press downtiltA,A,A, he will do his crouching light kick, medium kick, then sweep kick/crouching fierce punch attacks for a full slip knockdown/launcher.

Also, I bet money he's gonna have a super meter system (Little Mac basically gives the concept away). I'm thinking since A+B would overlap with the shortcut Smash commands... and considering he's a true fighting game character trying to balance his normal arts and the easy accessibility and wackiness of Smash, he'll have a Two-section (or maybe 4 to properly represent SFIV) super meter. He builds meter by attacking and when he builds a stock then he's able to use one EX special move. If you fill it up to MAX, then you can unleash his signature Shinku Hadouken super move.

B: Hadouken
Side B: Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku
Up B: Shoryuken
Down B: Focus Attack (Can't be done in mid-air. Hold B to charge, can shield roll out of the charging pose. Full charge attack is instant shield break/dizzy)

...and to do EX moves you have to do traditional inputs from Street Fighter to activate them.

QCF+B (Down, Side+B in quick motion): Shakunetsu Hadouken
DP+B (Side, Down, DiagonalSide+B in quick motion): EX Shoryuken
Down,Down+B: Shinku Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku (I could see QCB+B working as well if they add a timing window buffer, but I think it would just be easier to do it like this since you turn away from your target in Smash when you press Back and that could be too much of a hassle to execute properly.)

Then for his super.

QCF+A+B: Shinku Hadouken (Similar to his SF incarnation, it's the 5-hit, bigger fireball version rather than then MvC Laserbeam. Have it override the standard Smash command once he has full meter [similarly, this could work for his EX moves, too. As long as he doesn't have EX meter, he can still use the A+B smash command, but once he builds a bar, pressing A+B will do Shakunetsu Hadouken, Side+A+B will do Shinku Tatsumaki, and Up+A+B would do EX Shoryuken].)

Final Smash: Shin Shoryuken (Smash Ball only, activated only with B like always, probably will only catch one opponent, be very limited in range (if not pointblank), but do Marth/Lucina Critical Hit levels of damage & hitback, possibly a OHKO [Star KO] or very much KO on very low %.)

That way, he still has the simple inputs for normal smash users to use, but if you want to maximize your use of Ryu you have to do what Street Fighter (and other fighting game) players do in their native series and learn advanced movements and inputs in order to fully utilize his potential. Fits his characterization and hell, his genre perfectly, while still keeping him Smash friendly.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Ryu supporters and fans, your support has paid off. Congrats to you all and I hope you enjoy the playable Ryu.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Looks like Ryu isn't the only fighter crossing over into Smash. Looks like Mii costumes were found for Heihachi (Tekken), Akira (Virtua Fighter) and Jacky Bryant (Virtua Fighter)
This is really neat. Pretty cool of Smash to celebrate traditional fighters like this.

VF getting any sort of content in Smash is pretty bonkers when you think about it lol

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
This is really neat. Pretty cool of Smash to celebrate traditional fighters like this.

VF getting any sort of content in Smash is pretty bonkers when you think about it lol
Now that's a way to promote Project X Zone 2!.. Really neat! XD XD

Khao

Smash Lord
I was wrong.

I was wrong and I ****ing love it.

Not watching anything until tomorrow. I still wanna be surprised by something.

I'm off this forum now.

Headed for the lava world or something.

Last edited:

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
When I saw the video, I thought that there seemed to be very little end lag on one of his moves. For the sake of actually being a fighting game character, would it be considered viable for the guy to have the best combo potential in the game?

Seriously considering making Ryu one of my mains.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
How the (insert swear word) is a Ken colour scheme not one of Ryu's palettes?
Because they took the SF2 HD Remix palette swaps. (maybe it comes from a previous game, i'm not the SF expert)

There's no Dan alt, BUT I think that this reference is nice as well.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
How the (insert swear word) is a Ken colour scheme not one of Ryu's palettes?
He got a throwback from Super Turbo II; he got all the colors from that game. And considering that maybe Ken is an AT, makes sense not having a red-colored Ryu.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Suzaku Castle making me pine for a certain someone aside, this reveal should have been kept for Direct hype. Holy **** Ryu is so goddamn good looking.

Spikeez

Smash Cadet
Well, at least there's his theme and trophy. Still would like to see him as alternate and Guile's theme, because it goes with everything.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I have a friend who thought that only Roy would be revealed around E3 and Ryu would be held off for later so I bet him 10 dollars that Ryu and Roy would both be revealed before, at or after E3 whether it's official or from another leak that's obviously real (no denying it). He accepted and we shook hands on it.

Looks like I'm getting 10 dollars.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Just thought i'd mention that I am riding this train to the end. I WILL main ryu even If he is atrocious.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He got a throwback from Super Turbo II; he got all the colors from that game. And considering that maybe Ken is an AT, makes sense not having a red-colored Ryu.
I think Chun Li would make the better AT. Everything Ken does is probably already part of Ryu's moveset.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I have a feeling these characters are finished and Nintendo is planning to release them on Monday as a surprise.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I didn't bet with anyone; but I was surrounded by doubters! Was a wasted opportunity to get some cash. =P

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Now that Ryu is in Smash, Im gonna have to stop screaming "SHORYUKEN" everytime I hit someone with Pit's Upperdash Arm in the air and MegaMan's utilt. Seriously though, Ryu vs Mario will be the first thing I do.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I think Chun Li would make the better AT. Everything Ken does is probably already part of Ryu's moveset.
Ken could do some unique things like Shippu Jinraikyaku or a flaming Shoryuken; I guess that's the purpose of his Trophy (and it's not exactly the SFIV model).

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ryu doing a Tatsu after cr.mk on Greninja instead of Hadouken smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom