• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guys I need help... (how does one even begin to git gud?)

Phalangs

Smash Rookie
How does one get good? Just got 3 stocked by CPU and I'm this close to throwing the controller into the wall
I have been practicing the fundamentals since release-day for hours on end but they seem useless in actual games
how do you even combo someone?! you need to have specific combo for each percentage+predict when and where they airdoge/shield/tilt/jump/smash/up-b/whatever
This is my first smash game but come on it cant be so THAT hard

or am I simply stupid?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Are you sure your problem is with your intelligence? It might be your dexterity instread... I’ve been playing Brawlhalla a lot and I'm dumbfounded by some of the combos people can pull off in that game, especially with spears. Some of us have motor control issues, slow the heck down!!!

(I apologize for veering into discussion of another game. In my defense, Brawlhalla is heavily inspired by Super Smash Bros. and has a lot of similar gameplay characteristics.)

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Practice. Play against CPU's. Watch competitive matches and learn from what pro players do. Find youtubers online who make videos and guides on Smash, especially ones who share your mains.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Fighting CPUs is a good way to build technical skills, like how to make your character do what you want. However, they are not good for developing mental skills, since they don't act like human players would.

My advice is to find a friend who is close to your skill level or is okay tutoring you. Playing against people is the only way to get better at playing against people.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Look up tutorials for your character and learn their combos. Play with people online and learn from your losses. Experiment with scenarios and practice edgeguarding in training mode. And finally, be consistent.

spookedya

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-8126-4461-5726
I'm a newish player as well, and looking for people to add on switch. From US East Coast, let me know if interested.

To answer your question, getting destroyed by bots and other players will show you things you need to change in your playstyle. Eventually, you'll make changes to compensate. The CPUs can become pretty difficult, as you can tell. Start by picking a character and beating random CPUs until you can beat 9s easily.

Top Bottom