• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A 'Guin Saga (DDD General/Q&A thread)

Captain Birdman

Smash Rookie
The jet hammer has more utility in some matchups than others. For example, characters like G&W and Sonic who have recoveries that don't allow them to air dodge or force them to land leave them vulnerable to the jet hammer's might. Not that it's always your best option (ie, sweet spots), but it provides great coverage and sends them at an awful angle when they're trying to make it back.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
What do I do about dthrow (particularly dropzone) as Ike? DI down+away can escape the cg, but allows for a free fair gimp/swallocide. DI up lets D3 cg me, and seems like it wouldn't make a huge difference when getting swallowcided.

Last edited:

kinje

Smash Apprentice
What do I do about dthrow (particularly dropzone) as Ike? DI down+away can escape the cg, but allows for a free fair gimp/swallocide. DI up lets D3 cg me, and seems like it wouldn't make a huge difference when getting swallowcided.
It's a DI mix up, that's how it's supposed to work, but if you double-stick DI, you should be safe from the fair. If you DI that way all the time, though, you'll just get forward thrown to death, so be smart about how you mix it up.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
It's a DI mix up, that's how it's supposed to work, but if you double-stick DI, you should be safe from the fair. If you DI that way all the time, though, you'll just get forward thrown to death, so be smart about how you mix it up.
But, really, the best advice I can give is don't get grabbed near the ledge, or DI the grab correctly from the center so you aren't even at risk of getting caught by the mix-up. It's really not as hard as it seems to throw safe aerials on D3's shield as Ike.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
Sometimes you can get a fair even if they DI down and away. It's tight, but you can fast fall towards them, anticipate their jump / recovery, jump (to cancel your fast fall) and make them eat a Fair. This is best at mid-percents where a F-throw wouldn't kill them anyway, so you're better off going for the Fair which covers any DI (Unless they're floaty).

Last edited:

kinje

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes you can get a fair even if they DI down and away. It's tight, but you can fast fall towards them, anticipate their jump / recovery, jump (to cancel your fast fall) and make them eat a Fair. This is best at mid-percents where a F-throw wouldn't kill them anyway, so you're better off going for the Fair which covers any DI (Unless they're floaty).
If they're DIing down and away, f-throw will definitely kill at mid-percentage.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
Also, with dedede's edge guarding tools, even if they do somehow survive an f-throw with bad DI (by being floaty or really heavy), it's as good as a stock, cause they'll have to use their double jump and up-b to get back, and recoveries of that kind are super predictable. Regardless of what CAN be done, I'd say f-throw on an opponent DIing down and away is a safer bet than fast-falling with an aerial off-stage.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Alright now that PM development is over who would be the best pockets/secondarys for Dedede? I Oli as a secondary but that's mainly for personal reasons and I want a practical secondary as well.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
Falco's the secondary I decided on. He covers all of our bad matchups except maybe Squirtle, and he loves most of the stages we hate.

Falcon, Marth, Fox, and Gdubs probably work well too.

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
How well does D3 handle Kirby? Im trying to have a decent idea for how that works, but I cant play any Kirby players locally.

Sempai

Smash Ace
How well does D3 handle Kirby? Im trying to have a decent idea for how that works, but I cant play any Kirby players locally.
You have similar air movement and much bigger hitboxes, Im no D3 vs Kirby expert but your superior range and similar movement should give you a huge edge, just dont get uptilted.

If anyone is looking for people to play, I have an active Smash Discord with several rooms for PM and Melee netplayers.
Also real time discussion, since this thread is a little barren :/

https://discord.gg/aQCwEDP

PM net play tournaments incoming, worth a look if you want to get some training in.

Top Bottom