• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to U-AIR Combo with Mario

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
U-Air is a quick aerial for mario. This is one of Mario’s best combo moves, if not his best and is the best way to begin combos in your mario game. Ive been questioning how to U-Air combo's for awhile now and figured it out after some practice. Go Figure. So im gonna share my method with you.

We'll Start This Off on DK

DK is one of the easiest to combo in the air due to his size and the speed that he falls. So start in training mode with DK as your opponent. SWITCH OFF TAP JUMP (for now DO IT! You can switch it back on once you've got this down). Once the match begins grab DK and use D-throw. SH and hold the control stick the way mario is facing once you have SH'd. Then use the c-stick to U-Air. You should be able to U-Air combo DK twice before hitting the ground and start U-Airing again. Once u hit the ground keep the joystick in the same direction and tap jump again while U-Airing Dk twice just as before. When u see that DK might be able to react and get out of ur reach with U-Air then it is time to do any of mario's other moves that you see fit to finish with... possibly a n-air or an fair if hes close to the edge and you have the opportunity to spike him.

Notes: This will not work when your opponnent is at a high percent. So try to get this in at the beginning of the match or at a low percent. If u want to go for a 2 or more SH U-Air combo go for it when DK is below 30% and for a single SH U-Air combo go for it when DK is below 60%. U-Air is a great damage racker and thats why im posting a thread for using it correctly to combo. These percents were just tested on DK.

This is my first time making a guide. If you see any mistakes or have any comments id appreciate your feedback.

Backpaw

Smash Rookie
excellent post i'd also like to point out this works well against rob,D3(yea i know) and snake fairly well you could also end the combo with up B as well
this also seems to work sometimes uair uair land utilt utilt uair uair
or uair uair jab grab dthrow uair
a lot harder to pull off against light characters but as for the heavies they usually work

Irios

Smash Rookie
You can also perform a dash ( just a dash, without running ) between landing et SHing, so you can land another double Uair if you don't have enough range when simply directly SHing. If your opponent had already too much percents to allow you to chase him without dashing, the knockback should be high enough to prevent your ennemy from react soon, allowing you to dash before SHing.

You can also try to land a stutter-stepped Fsmash as a combo finisher instead of chasing him ( Just face the other direction right after landing and C-stick Fsmash toward your opponent. Angle it up with control stick for higher chances of hitting ).

Finally, even if it isn't the easier thing to do, you can pivot between landing and SHing. It's only 1 frame long, and allows you to switch from double Uair to double Bair. More range => easier to land, and less risk. It is still possible to finish with a Stutter-Stepped Fsmash. But it takes some work to find the good timing.

You can mix up thoses things depending on the weight of your opponent's character. I advice you to try it in training mode, by doing it on differents characters ( switch the behaviour of your opponent on " Manual ", so it won't automatically dodge after being hit ). Keep in mind that blows are always " fresh " in this mode. So you will have higher knockback on your blows, and surprisingly, more troubles to land your combos. Always try it on a regular match to see the difference, even against a motionless character.

If you need a video, I'll try to host one on Youtube. Just ask if you really need it, cause I don't have really good recording device at home.

Good luck !

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
Nice job. Though i think that this is kind of known to begin with. other then that nice work.

Mario Tornado

Smash Rookie
I always had trouble doing Uair combos. I never thought about using the C stick...

But yeah, that's a very helpful guide you made.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I wasn't sure if it would be easy to understand or not due to me making it late at night XD

Nice job. Though i think that this is kind of known to begin with. other then that nice work.
Yeah, it was mainly meant for the people who didn't know a good way to U-air combo and/or for those struggling, giving them another option.

I've always done Uair combos with the control stick, though this may prove to be easier if I can get used to it. Thanks. :)
Np. C-stick can be your friend or anenemy. If you like the C-stick method be sure to practice so u don't accidently F-air with it XD

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I'm a lefty and use c-stick for aerials. I didn't find it hard at all to switch.
Wasn't saying it would be hard to switch, just saying it might be easier for some leftys to use the control stick and just press A with their right hand for aerials.

jambo

Smash Cadet
C-stick is much better for Uair combos as it's much easier to keep forward momentum. Has anyone tried changing their jump button to L, R or Z? I had a go with it and found it felt kinda awkward.

Ismael

Smash Ace
That may be so, but you want to save your smash attacks for K.O's not damage rackers =P
But Mario's dsmash has more knockback than his fsmash. But his fsmash does more damage. So yeah, fsmash= damage racker (uair into fsmash and surprise stutter step fsmash is too good) and KO move. dsmash= problably just KO move.

Correct me if i'm wrong. I'd hate for Boss and Box 7 to come in here and pwn me with their all-knowing godlyness.

Also, can someone explain in detail on why c-stick>A button when it comes to aireals?

Biinii

Smash Apprentice
I find it the opposite. DSmash for damage/punish, since it has low knockback compared to FSmash. Altough i'm using now jabs+ftilt for punish instead of DSmash.

With c-stick you can keep holding a direction while you can use any aerial(except NAir).

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
But Mario's dsmash has more knockback than his fsmash. But his fsmash does more damage. So yeah, fsmash= damage racker (uair into fsmash and surprise stutter step fsmash is too good) and KO move. dsmash= problably just KO move.
/QUOTE]

Uair combo to a spike off the edge would be a good option at a low percent. Then edgeguard with fludd + cape.

After Uair comboing, if your going to do a smash attack i recommend d smash since it sends them farther and comes out at about the same speed as meta's d smash. Then edgeguard.

Of course there's more things that are good out of an u-air combo like u-air to u-tilt or u- air to shieldgrab ect.
Note: U-air to cape to f smash isnt a bad idea either

Ismael

Smash Ace
I find it the opposite. DSmash for damage/punish, since it has low knockback compared to FSmash. Altough i'm using now jabs+ftilt for punish instead of DSmash.

With c-stick you can keep holding a direction while you can use any aerial(except NAir).
I have tap jump off, so I jump with Y. I thought it was easier since I can attack with A and press Y with the tip of my thumb. Rather than going up and down between c-stick and jump for extended aireals such as uairs. But I'll try it.
QUOTE]

Uair combo to a spike off the edge would be a good option at a low percent. Then edgeguard with fludd + cape.

After Uair comboing, if your going to do a smash attack i recommend d smash since it sends them farther and comes out at about the same speed as meta's d smash. Then edgeguard.

Of course there's more things that are good out of an u-air combo like u-air to u-tilt or u- air to shieldgrab ect.
Note: U-air to cape to f smash isnt a bad idea either
I didn't say fsmash is the only way to go out of a uair combo, and everybody knows that Mario can gimp. But if there isn't a ledge near you and your opponent is at decent percentage, than a well placed fsmash could score you the kill the old fashioned way. Rather than just relying solly on gimping.

Adding a cape to throw off their retaliation before your fsmash is also nice.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?

Correct me if i'm wrong. I'd hate for Boss and Box 7 to come in here and pwn me with their all-knowing godlyness.

Also, can someone explain in detail on why c-stick>A button when it comes to aireals?
Dsmash is not a killer. It has never EVER been a killer. Fsmash has far more knockback and is a much better KO move. Dsmash, being an incredibly fast attack, rolldodge punisher and having combo-ability, is the superior attack when it comes to racking up damage. This is irrefutable fact.

Cstick is better than A button with aerials because you can move freely in the air in any direction why doing any aerial. For example, you can SH forward while doing a Bair or fulljump backward while doing a Fair. You can easily do a Fulljump Dair without working about fastfalling or anything since you don't even have to touch your control stick. With A button, you can do the same thing, but it's much more difficult because you need the control stick to be pointed forward if you wanted to do a Fair, but it needs to be pointed backward to jump backward as you're doing it.

Naruto would refer to it as "looking left and right at the same time".

/anime

Arcade

Smash Ace
I use the A button for all aerials except retreating aerials. It's not hard for me at all to dair without fastfalling or maintain forward momentum while uairing... it's a habit from Melee. Once you accidentally fastfall a spike attempt offstage as Ness and thus get gimped so many times, you make sure you're able to do these sorts of things lol.

What's annoying is how far away the C-stick is from the Y button; makes it hard to SH double bair sometimes.

And if you dair with the c-stick after the apex of your jump in Brawl, don't you fastfall anyway?

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
i use the c-stick only cus i got some BIG thumbs lol i can press y without moving my thumb off the c-stick xD

Top Bottom