• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

yes!

Smash Apprentice
i'm still amazed at how this thread is staying pretty near the top considering it's not stickied :^P

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
no, i'm serious... you have to have some serious issues if you can't open them with a 1.8mm screw druver...
make sure it was the right size if you can't do it right...
nah its all good bro, i got my triwing... and i do suck with screwdrivers i have to admit... their just so small!!1

Cort

Apple Head
^ Much like that post.

Anyways, I say it almost deserves one because of how extensive the first post became as a result of the quality posts in this topic. However, what it accomplishes is just.. a different color plastic. Hehe..

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
yeah one of the best posts at SWF. except for Simna ibn sind's guide to PK Thunder (NTSC).

roundhouseugood

Smash Rookie
yo! i read this awhile ago and finally got the supplies and started on my controller. Ill post some pictures soon. i should be done tonight so ill assemble it tomorow and show you all =]. thanks alot for making this thread, chyuh!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
dark puple shell...

try bright yellow ;)
actually, i think red would go nice with that.

Cort

Apple Head
I'm not too sure what would look good with dark purple, but I think white/silver would really make the buttons pop out.

Cort

Apple Head
I was thinking why you'd want dark purple when there's already purpley controllers... hehe

This thread is too good.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
What is the consensus on double c-stick contollers? Are they considered merely a cosmetic modification? Has anyone ever tried to bring one to a tournament?

I'm working hard on my own mod, and I would hate to bring it to a tournament and have some loser protest and say it's unfair. Although it wouldn't be too tough to fix.

I'll try to post pics when it's complete.

audreyh

Smash Ace
whens it time to buy a new controller? my joystick is incredibly loose, but still goes back to neutral. the padding on the joystick is ripping off. should i just try and clean the controller?

whens it time to buy a new controller? my joystick is incredibly loose, but still goes back to neutral. the padding on the joystick is ripping off. should i just try and clean the controller?

That really depends on your personal comfort. As long as the control is working properly all you really should think about is if you want to stick with that controller because you like the feel, or if you think its time to try a new controller because you dont like the feel of a loose controller. Persoanlly I use a very very old controller that feels like clay or something, its very loose and hardly makes noise when playing with it like newer ones do. But I still prefer it because I just feel like its easier to manipulate a loose old controller then a new one. I bought a new one anyway just to see if I would like a diffferent feel, and I did, but I eventually went back to my oldie. SO really just think about the feel of your controller and what you think you need to play your A game.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
I hate to double post, but my question got pushed off the page by the inane post at the top.

What's the verdict on double c-stick controllers? Are they considered cosmetic changes, or will they be banned from tournament play?

I don't want to contact each tournament director beforehand, because they'll just say no to make things easy on themselves.

offcell

Smash Apprentice
I hate to double post, but my question got pushed off the page by the inane post at the top.

What's the verdict on double c-stick controllers? Are they considered cosmetic changes, or will they be banned from tournament play?

I don't want to contact each tournament director beforehand, because they'll just say no to make things easy on themselves.

it depends on every tournment director really. I think its dumb to do it if you are a serious smasher, just go regular to avoid any hasssle because every tourney director will have a different opinion if its allowable or not.

-btw this is relaximaprofessional

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
Hey, if you guys haven't heard of this, I just read a brilliant idea so that you don't have to buy a triwing. It's called the Bic pen method.

Grey Rain Cloud said:
It's very simple. Take out the small blue plastic thing from the back of a
BIC PEN, and the ink fluid container as well. Heat the BACK of a BIC PEN with
a lighter. Once it starts melting slightly (we don't want the thing to look
like lava flowing from a volcano), place it firmly in one of the screw holes
of your controller. KEEP it in this position for a while. I recommend more than
3 minutes actually. Try NOT to move your hands at ALL. When you feel
confident enough that it has completely frozen, you can take it out. The
plastic will have taken the shape of the Gamecube's screws, and it will be
able to turn them. On some occasions though, it can get STUCK in there,
causing you to destroy your precious screws which is a problem as you WON'T
be able to open your controller afterwards!
- Captain R.D. Obvious

yes!

Smash Apprentice
that's a clever idea, with the BIC pen. although, how strong can it be? you wouldn't want a loose shell that you can't screw in completely because your makeshift screwdriver is too flimsy or it keeps stripping.

i'm glad this thread is still keeping its head barely above the water even without a sticky. HAH! summer school is over and i've got a few precious days before fall quarter kicks in. time for a new paintjob, no? will be back.

FOB

Smash Ace
Just would like to say... I FINISHED MY CONTROLLER!!! YAY!!! RelaxImaprofesional is AMAZING!!!! yay :)

Its neon green with white buttons. The only problem is the C stick didn't work too well since it's squishy and the paint cracks on it.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
This board was truly helpful.Waiting for tri wing(home depot was out of 1.8 mm scrwdrivers>_>) well can anyone think of any color combinations. Cant think of any good ones besides metallic orange and metallic blue.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
Just would like to say... I FINISHED MY CONTROLLER!!! YAY!!! RelaxImaprofesional is AMAZING!!!! yay :)

Its neon green with white buttons. The only problem is the C stick didn't work too well since it's squishy and the paint cracks on it.
What do you mean, "my C-stick is squishy"?

- Captain R.D. Obvious

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Hrmm has anyone tried anything with like painters tape just to give the controller a kick with graphics. I was wondering if you did try it would you have to sand the paper down before you put on the painters tape. Thought if you did that it could stick easier like have a better surface to stick to. Just wondering... just wondering.

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
Well I just started my controller 30 mins ago, I am on my second coat, its nothing too special *** im just testing out this colour on one of my crappy controllers to see if I will like it. If I do like the colour I will probabley do it on one of my good controllers and paint all the buttons black. :chuckle:

Top Bottom