• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To: Float Nair OoS (out of shield)

Nordal

Smash Lord
Obviously we all know about this, and the only two Peaches I've seen consistently using it are me and Kyle.

I've heard some arguments that there is no need to learn this because short hop nair can achieve the same goal, and I assure you this a horrible assumption. Short hop nair is godly but I often find myself going over shorter targets, or hitting someone at low % with it and then getting hit back in retaliation because I'm still either in the attack or in landing lag. I've been up smashed by fox this way, it sucks.

Out of shield float nair is obviously going to be a little slower due to it's relative difficulty, but the main point is a repositioning of nair. This let's peach spend less time in her nair animation and allows her to Nair OoS shorter characters she'd often go over (pikachu for example). It's hard to get consistently, so I thought I'd make a quick "guide" on it.

Obviously the inputs needed are jump, down on the control stick, and of course the A button for the nair input. I press my jump button, flick the control stick down and press A. Flicking the control stick allows for a quick down input without initiating down air (assuming you time it correctly of course). It's really just practice, but here are some common mistakes I made myself while getting this down:

Peach Spotdodges: You didn't jump, or your jump input didn't register. It doesn't matter if you hold shield because jump will cancel it and she can't airdodge while floating.

Peach Dairs: You didn't release the down input fast enough and nair registered as Dair.

Peach floats, lands and jabs: You tried doing this on a slant and the level difference canceled her float. Quick tip: don't float Nair out of shield often on stages like yoshi's island, lylat, delfino, and pretty much any stage that doesn't have a consistent flat surface.

I'll probably turn this into a continual "these things help you a lot more than you'd expect" thread.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
yay, good thread

hmm..... this reminds me of my "Advancing Peach's Metagame" thread that just.. died.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Never was a big fan of the maneuver because of how situational it is. Buffered turnaround jab/grab/f-tilt, groundfloat bair, or a d-smash (depending on their proximity) OoS are much more useful imo. This just seems like one of those "if they're being really stupid around your shield" kind of things.

I'll try and play around with getting the optimal timing on it though, it never hurts to have more options at the ready.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I've been trying to work this more into my Melee Peach game, because it's really important for her. I'll probably work on it in Brawl too, but with shield drop punishes being an option in this game, there's usually a better option than this.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Well, I play Melee a lot and doing it in Brawl is really simple for me.

It's not as situational as you think and it has lots of practical uses

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Frame 8 isn't terrible. That's only two frames off of our grab/ftilt/dsmash speed, and considering how often I see oos bair working (frame 11), oos nair comes in handy in even more situations.

At low percent it even links into a cool nair pillar Peachkid would always do. Everyone always just goes for the throat with fair and Peach Bomber nowadays.

Top Bottom