• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[GUIDE] Connecting to Brawl/PM Wifi post-WFC shutdown: Occasional server issues are temporary

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I was looking into this and got stumped at step 1 aha. I researched a bit and figured out how to find my "console's Wii Number", but it's 16 digits long. Obviously, that's not right; Brawl friend codes are 12 digits. So I tried accessing the Brawl friend code in the only way I knew how - via checking your Friend Roster in Brawl...except I can't do that because it first needs to connect to the internet to access anything related to WiFi. Halp? How to I find my Brawl friend code if I didn't note it down before the servers died? (for those who played me on WiFi before and are wondering why this is an issue...I recently got a new Wii, so the friend code would be different :/ )

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Hey guys, I was looking into this and got stumped at step 1 aha. I researched a bit and figured out how to find my "console's Wii Number", but it's 16 digits long. Obviously, that's not right; Brawl friend codes are 12 digits. So I tried accessing the Brawl friend code in the only way I knew how - via checking your Friend Roster in Brawl...except I can't do that because it first needs to connect to the internet to access anything related to WiFi. Halp? How to I find my Brawl friend code if I didn't note it down before the servers died? (for those who played me on WiFi before and are wondering why this is an issue...I recently got a new Wii, so the friend code would be different :/ )
If you hadn't been on NWFC on the new Wii, then you haven't even been assigned a friend code yet. There's nothing to retrieve. If you did have one, but can't remember it, then I'd still say your best option is just going through the steps required to get an FC from the new servers. Not sure what much else you can do.

Nice first post.
Nice trips.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
If you hadn't been on NWFC on the new Wii, then you haven't even been assigned a friend code yet. There's nothing to retrieve. If you did have one, but can't remember it, then I'd still say your best option is just going through the steps required to get an FC from the new servers. Not sure what much else you can do.

Nice trips.
Just ended up trying out Step 1.5 and everything sort of resolved itself in the end aha. Thanks anyhow

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Does it also work with wii u?
Wouldn't know, don't want to try anything like that with my Wii U. Not up for invalidating the extended warranty my sister bought to be included with it. I use my Wii for everything Brawl/P:M.

I assume hackless still wouldn't work with an SDHC on Wii U because Brawl is still Brawl. You're still loading through stage builder in the same game. But for the Homebrew methods and all that jazz? You'll have to ask/refer to someone else, I can't test to confirm any of that for you or for myself.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I downloaded the wiimmfipatcher and loaded brawl through it. I went to the Stage Builder to try and load Project M, but nothing happens. It just sits there, and for some reason it says that I have a custom stage (w/out showing its picture) pending to be created.

Why? Is it possible to use PM through wiimmfi at all?

ClassicalGuitar

Smash Rookie
I keep trying to connect on Project M and I always get Error 20110. I've tried removing everything from my SD and returning it there (the Hackless, WiFi Safe version from Project M's site) and it didn't work. I then tried taking the files from the .zip given in this post and copying them over the old ones in my SD card and that didn't work either. Am I missing something? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Periwinkle

Smash Apprentice
I feel like it's worth mentioning here that Basic Brawl/Team Battle works for NTSC users now. One of the Wiimmfi devs finally enabled it for non-PAL regions.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I keep trying to connect on Project M and I always get Error 20110. I've tried removing everything from my SD and returning it there (the Hackless, WiFi Safe version from Project M's site) and it didn't work. I then tried taking the files from the .zip given in this post and copying them over the old ones in my SD card and that didn't work either. Am I missing something? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
Which "files from the .zip in this post" are you referring to? There are several different sets of .zip files provided that are meant for different things. Not completely sure of the specifics of your issue since it's somewhat of a broad question, but if you haven't already followed all of the instructions from the first post or have tried to unsuccessfully, I would suggest taking the following "path" of steps (there were several options but this was the simplest/easiest imo):
  • Follow Step 1 (and 1.5 if necessary)
  • Download the Homebrew channel onto your Wii (you should easily be able to find several tutorials on YouTube; the one that I found easiest to follow was the one with the most views)
  • In Step 2, follow the section titled "Brawl (Homebrew + Wiimmfi Patcher app)". Ignore every other section with a red title; they accomplish the same thing at the end of the day, but they seem to either take more knowledge/time or end up committing you to a method of booting up PM with usable WiFi that is more of a hassle.
  • Scroll down a bit until you find "Project M (Hackless)", and then download the .zip file contents from the mediafire.com link below it. (it's a bit hard to see because it's in a dark purple; if it helps, it happens to be directly under a video in a section titled "Dolphin EMU")
  • Now that you have the .zip files for the Wiimmfi Patcher App to work on Homebrew, and the .zip files for PM (Hackless & WiFI-safe) that were modified to work with the new Wimmfi servers, extract the contents from each and just paste them all onto your SD card.
  • You should now be able to boot up PM with working WiFi by going to the Homebrew channel, loading the Wiimmfi Patcher app with a Brawl disc inserted in the Wii, and then entering Stage Builder to start PM. Alternatively, if you just want to play PM without working WiFi, you can skip all the Homebrew stuff and start PM via Brawl's Stage Builder like you would normally.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
  • You should now be able to boot up PM with working WiFi by going to the Homebrew channel, loading the Wiimmfi Patcher app with a Brawl disc inserted in the Wii, and then entering Stage Builder to start PM. Alternatively, if you just want to play PM without working WiFi, you can skip all the Homebrew stuff and start PM via Brawl's Stage Builder like you would normally.
When I try to load Project M from Stage Builder via Wiimmfi Patcher, it just sits there and does nothing. It also shows one stage in there currently being developed (doesn't look like the stage is real either), even though I had no custom stages prior to downloading Project M and Wiimmfi. If I click that custom stage, it just freezes my game and remains there forever until I shut off my console.

Why is this happening? Am I supposed to wait a little longer or something.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
When I try to load Project M from Stage Builder via Wiimmfi Patcher, it just sits there and does nothing. It also shows one stage in there currently being developed (doesn't look like the stage is real either), even though I had no custom stages prior to downloading Project M and Wiimmfi. If I click that custom stage, it just freezes my game and remains there forever until I shut off my console.

Try entering stage builder without the SD card in and seeing if the stage is there too, and then delete it. If you had to do Step 1.5, you'd get the defaulted custom stages back on there and you'll need to delete them again. If that's not the case...idk what to advise other than to make sure all the files you have on there are correct. Wipe the SD card and put the files back on there again from the two folders, something got messed up the first time. If not...maybe you got some files mixed up, or downloaded the wrong files?

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Thank you @ ECHOnce ECHOnce for helping people out in my absence. :)

Is there a way to have stronger connection with the servers.
Not that I'm aware of.

What firmware is your wii? Mine is having the same problem now actually. Paging @Rood :p

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Has anyone experienced freezing issues when on WiFi? There are these weird instances when the game would freeze mid-match and I get disconnected.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Taking forever to join most people, while never managing to join the lobby at all. What's the dealio? Others are having this problem as well, so I'm guessing it's prevalent.

Drover

Smash Cadet
Taking forever to join most people, while never managing to join the lobby at all. What's the dealio? Others are having this problem as well, so I'm guessing it's prevalent.
Yes, multiple people are experiencing this. If you join a room it just loads endlessly. I don't know what's going on.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
sounds like a server side issue =(

Also, Rood has suggested we format our SD cards ant retry the PM hackless launcher after doing so. He says that helped some people. I'll give it a try when i'm done playing brawl wifi tonight.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

Screenshot courtesy of Cody.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
^ you can trust this, Diddy was the mastermind behind this entire thread

Skybunny

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skybunny
Just letting everyone know that the servers are working again. c:

Edit: Or at least sort-of working again, got a 91010 error while testing it with a friend and also started getting random errors trying to join his room. xP We were playing a match fine a few minutes ago. owo

Last edited:

SackThing101

Smash Rookie
Blah. I was playing earlier, but I got off then got back on and now it gives me 20110 errors. Are the servers still down?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Blah. I was playing earlier, but I got off then got back on and now it gives me 20110 errors. Are the servers still down?
Friend of mine on Fsmash said the servers are now back up. I'll be checking for myself in a couple minutes, but yeah.

EDIT: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a second, he said they appear to be back down.

Last edited:

Deckete

Smash Cadet
The server is already down again. Does anyone know when server will stay online again? Within 24 hours again?

Ed. What a shame.

Last edited:

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
I was going to try to do this but now doesn't seem like the time, With the current server issues I have no Idea if the problem is me or the server.

Will try again later though.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Servers are back up. Not sure as to how long they'll stay up, however.

ChanceuPantsu

Smash Rookie
I know I'll most likely be linked to check out the stuff in the thread but I've already read every reply and haven't got an answer.
I use an ISO that already has PM loaded on my USB (using USB loader) it because I don't have a 2GB and couldn't make an ISO that would work myself. Does someone know how to make an ISO or has one that would be compatible with this wifi thing?
I'm sorry if this is against the rules or something. Made an account on here just to ask this because no one I know has any idea about this (first I've heard of there being servers to play on!) Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I would recommend using the method in the USB loader section (it's an ISO patcher so make sure to back up your ISO just in case it does not work). I'm not 100% sure it'll work, but I tried it when the launcher was first released and didn't have problems with it back then.

Either that, or apply the wifi code to your PM codeset. This is not stable so don't use it in tournaments, your wii might crash sometimes but it's still playable.

Last edited:

ChanceuPantsu

Smash Rookie
I would recommend using the method in the USB loader section (it's an ISO patcher so make sure to back up your ISO just in case it does not work). I'm not 100% sure it'll work, but I tried it when the launcher was first released and didn't have problems with it back then.

Either that, or apply the wifi code to your PM codeset. This is not stable so don't use it in tournaments, your wii might crash sometimes but it's still playable.
Yeah, I already made a patched ISO with my current ISO but the reason I'm wary is because I'm not sure if the ISO I currently have is the Wifi safe one and if it's even on patch 3.02, the game's banner when it loads up (the wriststrap warning) says it's 3.0 but I guess I'll just try anyway, thanks!

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Yeah, I already made a patched ISO with my current ISO but the reason I'm wary is because I'm not sure if the ISO I currently have is the Wifi safe one and if it's even on patch 3.02, the game's banner when it loads up (the wriststrap warning) says it's 3.0 but I guess I'll just try anyway, thanks!
let us know how it goes :)

Top Bottom