• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Greninja's recovery definitely seems like a water QA. I will definitely be maining both him and Pikachu in this game. We know he has a rapid jab and his single jab actually looked pretty good too. On the official site, it shows him using an attack that could very easily be his down tilt.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I really want Squirtle back. But then I remember the only reason I want him is cause P:M and he wont play like that at all.

Greninja it is I suppose D: Or mac

Ulevo

Smash Master
Greninja doesn't have Mach Tornado, Dimensional Cape, Shuttle Loop with a glide and a strong priority glide attack, Drill Rush, 5 Jumps, a second glide, and most aerials with laser priority.

One of the biggest reasons Meta Knight was a problem was that his air and recovery game was just as good, likely better, than his ground game. Granted, Geninja doesn't look like he's incompetent in the air, but he will never have what Brawl Meta Knight had.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
In the Smash series, the voices/sounds of Pokemon were more from the anime then the games, but unless I'm remembering wrong, Greninja hasn't made an appearance in the anime yet.

So the question is, will he:

a) Sound like he does in the games

b) Have a voice and make humanistic reactions like Lucario only without actual words

c) Like b, only with real speech

d) Make animalistic noises like Charizard does in Smash (i.e. different sounds instead of those from the games)

e) Just repeat its name like it undoubtedly will eventually in the anime

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I actually expect him to either be silent, or to make Charizard-esque noises.

Having him say his name over and over would severely wreck the "cool" factor they're going for with this Pokemon. I honestly felt like nothing was wrong with him being totally silent in the trailer. Seems like a ninja thing to do.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
I think Greninja will make an appearance in this year's Pokemon movie, so we'll know what he will sound like (in the Japanese release) by July 19, 2014 at the latest.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
There's really no point to have them together and this way they can put all their effort into making two unique characters.
Yeah. Honestly transformations were really holding back certain characters (Zelda and Zard, I'm looking at you!) so it's good to see he's made the right move.

lami

Smash Journeyman
It's too early to tell anything about OP characters. Reminder that MK was ranked a 6 out of 10 in power in the Brawl strategy guide. People considered high tier in the first 6 months post release may not be a year later.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
In terms of playstyle that is. His running speed and air speed, along with his side-b (?) and some of his kick attacks make me think his closest counterpart is probably fox, maybe sheik, with marth and lucario filling in the blanks.

Jackson

Smash Lord
It's too early to tell anything about OP characters. Reminder that MK was ranked a 6 out of 10 in power in the Brawl strategy guide. People considered high tier in the first 6 months post release may not be a year later.
That's definitely a valid point. I recall when Brawl first came out Marth was thought to be the best character (I think), then later Snake.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Greninja seems like a Sheik-Marth hybrid to me, which is good I play both those characters (More so Marth that Sheik).

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
His charge looks like Sheik's (Which I hope the trailer indicated that Sheik's charge will be more similar to Melee again), His Substitute reminds me more of Lucario, his Recovery gives off a Pikachu + Water vibe. Lucario is who I'm most reminded of, however.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
If we have sceptile then that's 1, 3 and 6 although his lack of mega evolution makes me doubt it

EDIT: Just realized It would be 1, 3 and 5 but oh well

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If we have sceptile then that's 1, 3 and 6 although his lack of mega evolution makes me doubt it
Well, Greninja's lacking one too; although if you meant as a connection to Gen 6, then yeah I totally agree.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I have said this after the inclusion of Rosalina. Uniqueness seems to play a very large role in Sakurai's decisions. Possibly an equal role to that of a characters importance to its series.

Greninja has no significance to the Pokémon series, except for being a starter of the most recent game.
It was his uniqueness, with his popularity that scored him a spot over other potential Pokémon.

While a more iconic Pokémon like Meowth or Eevee could have been the newcomer, it was Greninja, who showed to have a large variety of moves and abilities to bring to Smash with him, and proves to be very fun character from what we've seen.

I'm wondering how this will affect other series.
Personally, I'm hoping this means something for Tingle, as he is a recurring character (Importance), has a decent fanbase (Popularity), and could bring a bunch of crazy abilities with him, like his balloons or shop items (Uniqueness).

I also feel this increases Waddle Dee's chances, especially with Dedede only having Gordo throw.

So what do you think of this?
How much do you think uniqueness matters in choosing Smash characters.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Greninja thankfully also showed me he's down with adding newcomers that aren't super gimmicky or a little bit weird, and can still handle uniqueness the good old fashioned way, which bodes well for characters like Palutena and K. Rool.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Are people seriously going to say this for every newcomer?
In my opinion, he seemed fairly tame compared to Rosalina and Little Mac.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Are people seriously going to say this for every newcomer?
In my opinion, he seemed fairly tame compared to Rosalina and Little Mac.
People apparently have a hard time realizing these videos are meant to show off the strengths of each newcomer, and in Mac's case, a glaring weakness to counteract his massive ground potential.

Greninja definitely has some great TOOLS though, so we'll have to see how he actually matches up.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Mac looks the most overpowered IMO. Sure, his air game and recovery are bad, but a one-hit KO... I can't say I like it. Doesn't look good for the game.
Well D3's Fsmash in brawl was practically an OHKO, but you don't see that hit much.

I have to wonder if Greninja will have any really good kill moves (fox up smash level good).

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I personally don't feel Greninja was that out of left field, given that Sakurai always adds a Pokemon from the newest generation to Smash (Pichu and Lucario).

That said, I do agree that a deciding factor for Greninja, outside of his popularity, was how versatile and unique his moveset could be.
With Rosalina and Little Mac, it does seem that Sakurai is pushing for more uniqueness in Smash as a whole, given their unconventional gimmicks.

I don't quite think uniqueness is as much of a deciding factor as importance to a character's individual series, though. This is a bit of a stretch, but in Brawl, Sakurai did pick Wario over many other potential candidates from that series (including all of the wacky Wario Ware characters), likely because of his main character status. Still hoping for a Wario Ware character to be announced in Smash 4, though (perhaps Kat and Ana since we never saw their Assist Trophy in the Direct despite seeing the other Brawl ATs).

We also saw Lucas picked over the likes of Jeff or Duster (who both could have had very unique fighting styles).

So, yeah, uniqueness is important, but it doesn't quite trump importance to the series in my opinion. I think it is important to note, though, that ever since Ivysaur, the way a character fights is pretty much a non-issue.

Just my opinion, though. I could easily be wrong.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Well D3's Fsmash in brawl was practically an OHKO, but you don't see that hit much.

I have to wonder if Greninja will have any really good kill moves (fox up smash level good).
Yep, I guess it being OP or not depends on how easy it is to get it and land it.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Sheik and Marth with a bit of Pikachu in the recovery. The Substitute reminds me a bit of Lucario, but with the whole "trickery" element involved in how its executed.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Gonna have to agree with Banjodorf on that one.

Given that it's a ninja and ninjas are supposed to be silent and stealthy, I doubt it will make any vocal sounds. At the very most, I'd expect Lucario-esque grunts.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I keep imagining him with the in game sound...maybe that could be his intro sound effect.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
I would love the intro sound to be his in-game cry. Apart from that, however, I feel as if he should be more silent and only grunt at most, like Kero said. Ninjas are meant to be silent.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Every video has made it's newcomer look OP. The only one who deserves top tier speculation is Mac because he has a one hit KO.
Greninja is the only one that has seemed OP to me.
My first thought when I saw him was Melee Fox/Falco + better range.

I don't get the impression that Little Mac will be anywhere near top tier given how weak he is in the air and his poor recovery.
Hopefully later on we hear some big weakness like that for Greninja too. Because as it stands he does appear noticeably better for top players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom