• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greatest Drummer of all time?

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!

RazeveX

Smash Ace
lol, there is no PROOF.

If its the FASTEST, then technically it should be the world record of the most drum hits in 60 seconds; but you'll find that these are unknown people who may have not much talent at drum playing or writing drum parts, or most importantly, drum improvisation.
There are so many variables that it makes it unclear for everybody, and people have resorted to saying the drummers of their favourite bands. For crying out loud, someone said Blink 182!! BLINK 182!!!!!!

I don't think that anyone has enough experience to know, but it really does surprise me that only 1 person said John Bonham.

AAbatterie

Smash Apprentice
Ahito Inazawa.

But you got to think of all the styles of drumming. The best drummer in the world would be one who could play jazz, rock, metal, and many others very good. But I don't know who that is.

Shadoshi

Smash Rookie
My favorite drummer is Bill Bruford (early Yes and mid to late King Crimson drummer, now does jazz stuff).

But I'd say the closest to best that there is is Buddy Rich. As for those arguing for Mike Portnoy, I like his drumming a lot, but his style is very raw and his playing can at times be unstructured and unorthodox. He most definitely isn't the best, but I'm sure he is at least pretty high on the charts. As for Travis Barker... Geez. I hardly see why anyone would think he's so 'great'. As a drummer myself, I can easily tell you all he does is play fast. Fast is not better. Especially in his case.

BZONG

Smash Cadet
How play you fast is not a factor that determines how good you are at drums. I say Neil Peart.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
Nick Mason is the best drummer ever!!!!

Just kidding.

Kieth Moon is amazing. Even though I've never really thought about it before, Keith Moon is definitely my favorite drummer. He's does some great things with his set.

Ginger Baker and John Bonham aren't bad either.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
lol, there is no PROOF.

If its the FASTEST, then technically it should be the world record of the most drum hits in 60 seconds; but you'll find that these are unknown people who may have not much talent at drum playing or writing drum parts, or most importantly, drum improvisation.
There are so many variables that it makes it unclear for everybody, and people have resorted to saying the drummers of their favourite bands. For crying out loud, someone said Blink 182!! BLINK 182!!!!!!

I don't think that anyone has enough experience to know, but it really does surprise me that only 1 person said John Bonham.
Pretty much nailed it.

On topic: Tony Williams.

Top Bottom