• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Great new low % combo on heavies, tech chase on lights/midweights

ADHD

Smash Hero
So the ftilt has a strange property and if your opponent is on the ground in face down position and you ftilt them when they are exactly between the percentages of 0%-25%, they will take the hit and remain in face down position, then be forced to come up in standing position. This is similar to sheik's needle, the ice climbers ice block, link/toon link's arrows, etc. They will literally be forced by the game to stand up, and cannot roll. So what can you do with this?

The bthrow or fthrow at low percents are a great way to start this off. Bthrow/fthrow > they get stage smacked > ftilt > they're forced to stand > anything. You can smash them, or even dash attack into another combo!
Heavier characters can still airdodge the at the last second, but you can still regrab them or they'll still get ftilted anyway (they cannot jump out). The midweights/lightweights still can be punished even though they can jump out/airdodge. If they airdodge the same result will happen, you can regrab them or ftilt them anyway, if they jump out you can react fast enough and fair them. Its basically a free hit either way.

if they tech, just regrab them.

Vid: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=oi56CtnNjiE

Luigi player

Smash Master
if your enemy is right in front of you and lying on the ground you could also do the popgun-lock. ^^

Luigi player

Smash Master
No that won't work, I just tried that and they can roll or get out. The peanut has too little stun.
No you can lock them with the popgun, I already did it many times. (I could do it on DK after he had 60+ damage, it doesn't work if your enemy has lower percents it seems.)

The bad thing is that you have to be as near as possible to your enemy and that is not so easy, because you can't run to them and immediately do it, because you have the slide-stop animation, a dash might not go far enough and if you walk your enemy will most likely be somewhere else till you're there.

Your combo is really nice. I just tried it on DK. They could tech on the ground though =/

ADHD

Smash Hero
No you can lock them with the popgun, I already did it many times. (I could do it on DK after he had 60+ damage, it doesn't work if your enemy has lower percents it seems.)

The bad thing is that you have to be as near as possible to your enemy and that is not so easy, because you can't run to them and immediately do it, because you have the slide-stop animation, a dash might not go far enough and if you walk your enemy will most likely be somewhere else till you're there.

Your combo is really nice. I just tried it on DK. They could tech on the ground though =/
Yes that's why i said you can regrab them :D, i think that's player-1's cg but if they don't tech punish them. i want to try that popgun lock now.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yes that's why i said you can regrab them :D, i think that's player-1's cg but if they don't tech punish them. i want to try that popgun lock now.
If you want I can upload a vid of your combo and one of the popgun lock. I've just recorded them. ^^

You can just do the single banana lock, because the opponent has to get up.
That's a nice idea, but it probably doesn't work sadly, because you don't have enough time to get a naner after the ftilt... maybe if it's already lying near the enemy it might work.

ADHD

Smash Hero
If you want I can upload a vid of your combo and one of the popgun lock. I've just recorded them. ^^

That's a nice idea, but it probably doesn't work sadly, because you don't have enough time to get a naner after the ftilt... maybe if it's already lying near the enemy it might work.
Sure that would be nice.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Hmm nice the pop gun didnt know it was actually chainable only did it once, never on big characters good stuff.

Luigi player

Smash Master
is the popgun lock escapable? ive never seen it before
If your enemy is lying on the ground and you start it, he can't escape anymore, unless you're doing a mistake. It will not work long though, because your enemy will move forward all the time and since you stand in place you have to attack him while he's still in reach for the popgun.

I think you can smash DI the hits from the popgun, which means you should only do it once or twice, if your enemy is big and/or doesn't know that you can smash DI there more hits are possible.

The main thing is though: even if you only do it once, it will add 5 % and since your enemy can only stand up, you get a free hit too.

Btw, I think upsmash is the best thing to do for Chromes combo (on heavis).

Because you can run to them and charge your upsmash at the start of the dash which will do the most damage (42 % like you see in the vid) and it also might set up for fairs or other things, because they're hit upwards.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
That's called brawl, I believe.
LOL, lemme clarify:

Most jabs and many tilts in the game produce low knock-back, so anything that can still inflict damage but keep the opponent grounded can technically be used in a chain attack that slowly nudges an opponent across the stage. I'm in no way saying that most of these moves are actually practical to use in an authentic lock (most of them have either too much start-up or cool-down or both), there are a lot of moves in the game that can force an opponent into the automatic wake-up animation.

What's more important to discuss (I think) are moves and scenarios you can corner your opponent into in order to make them miss a tech and get them into that prostrate position on the ground in the first place.

ADHD

Smash Hero
LOL, lemme clarify:

Most jabs and many tilts in the game produce low knock-back, so anything that can still inflict damage but keep the opponent grounded can technically be used in a chain attack that slowly nudges an opponent across the stage. I'm in no way saying that most of these moves are actually practical to use in an authentic lock (most of them have either too much start-up or cool-down or both), there are a lot of moves in the game that can force an opponent into the automatic wake-up animation.

What's more important to discuss (I think) are moves and scenarios you can corner your opponent into in order to make them miss a tech and get them into that prostrate position on the ground in the first place.
Diddy is severely limited on it. Every character can airdodge the bthrow but they'll still get punished, people I have tried this on today did not airdodge. I guess it's more of a reaction to DI than airdodge the last second. I'm going to use this on heavies if I get a grab in at low percent, because they get punished either way.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Diddy is severely limited on it. Every character can airdodge the bthrow but they'll still get punished, people I have tried this on today did not airdodge. I guess it's more of a reaction to DI than airdodge the last second. I'm going to use this on heavies if I get a grab in at low percent, because they get punished either way.
When I was doing my CG, I did some test on this. It usually completely depends on DI. If they DI down they will most likely hit the stage and be stage smacked, I think if they DI down then fastfallers/heavys can't jump in time. If they don't DI, but you suspect them to jump, the best things you could do is dash attack combo, Fair, or (SH) Side b (kick), If they DI up, then do w/e.

I knew there was some kind of inescapable thing you could do with the popgun >.>

ADHD

Smash Hero
When I was doing my CG, I did some test on this. It usually completely depends on DI. If they DI down they will most likely hit the stage and be stage smacked, I think if they DI down then fastfallers/heavys can't jump in time. If they don't DI, but you suspect them to jump, the best things you could do is dash attack combo, Fair, or (SH) Side b (kick), If they DI up, then do w/e.

I knew there was some kind of inescapable thing you could do with the popgun >.>
Heavy characters cannot jump, they can airdodge but cannot jump.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Actually Ive tried this with a computer on training mode and I put Donkey Kong for example in run mode. Sure Donkey Kong cant do anything when you throw him but he still has the option to roll or stand up if your not quick enough. Its not a consistent technique I would use and most of the time the player will wanna attack and not run away. So its pretty hard to grab them unless you have the banana to aid you.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Actually Ive tried this with a computer on training mode and I put Donkey Kong for example in run mode. Sure Donkey Kong cant do anything when you throw him but he still has the option to roll or stand up if your not quick enough. Its not a consistent technique I would use and most of the time the player will wanna attack and not run away. So its pretty hard to grab them unless you have the banana to aid you.
Dude the timing is so easy to force a stand up XD

ADHD

Smash Hero
So I've been experimenting with this, the common reaction is to DI away. If they DI away on the bthrow they go way too far, but the fthrow works perfectly on heavyweights its nice.

Top Bottom