• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grapple Canceling

Declan

Smash Apprentice
I don't use this ever in my game. In fact, if I wanted to I would have to practice because I have not even ever attempted it before. I simply never saw the purpose of it. Can anyone tell me if I should bother picking this up and why?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing:

Grapple cancelling is dropping a ball, then air-dodging over to it and deploying Samus' grapple beam, then bouncing out of it as normal. This can only be done in NTSC, as it's been removed from PAL.

*** cancelling is when you do a rising grapple and break the beam on the level, and go into a tumble, from which you can attack, etc.

And both are useful. If used sparingly, grapple cancelling moves where your enemy expected you to be. Also a useful approach if you drop a bomb and approach with the grapple beam then perform an aerial attack from the grapple cancel.

Sudai

Stuff here
I've always found grapple canceling to be a good mindgame for getting back onto the stage. They think you're going to grapple but instead you bounce up a little and can NAir for safety~ Saved me from quite a few shine spikes, dare I say.

Mars-

Smash Champion
If you don't see any point in doing something, don't do it. Plain and simple. I always make sure I know why I am doing something before I do it.

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
Just so that I can be sure I'm picturing this right in my mind's eye, *** cancelling on say a level like fountain of dreams would look like me grappling the side while rising and pressing A too early so that I tumble up not next to the wall?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
*** cancling sounds just like rising grapple...

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
*** cancling sounds just like rising grapple...
*** cancelling is doing a rising grapple but cancelling out of it due to your position with the level, and therefore being able to attack while recovering.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Both are useless.

And by useless I mean, while they have some use, there are MUCH better approaches that you can take.

Maybe instead of the word usless, i should use the word obsolete.

So yes, both techniques are obsolete.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I don't disagree..

That is, if you're going to do a rising grapple, might as well try to break it so you can attack, but I used to TRY to *** cancel, resulting in unecessary deaths where I could've just up-b'd.

Same thing for beam-cancelling: Don't drop a bomb planning to beam-cancel it, but if you do drop a bomb for some reason and see a good opportunity to beam-cancel approach, I think then it's not a bad idea.

So it's somewhat fair to call both moves obsolete, but I would just say "Don't plan these moves, but if you're halfway there and they seem advantageous, go for it". At least that's how I feel about them.

Top Bottom