• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Viper, W-T-F.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Evidentally, people are calling Ike's "QuickDraw" That's missed or blocked into a Up-tilt or something the "Grand Viper" Or one idiot start that. First off, ain't **** even grand about it for the simple reason it isn't anything EXTRAORDINARY. Next, What the hell is snake like about it? Grand Viper sounds like something they would give snake; what's next? You gonna call Ike's ability to stop Marth's Final Smash the "Surpreme Cobra?" Give me a break.

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
Well, lots of kids these days think that adding nonsensical names are cool. Blame anime. Crap like Hyphen Smashing (the guy even admited it was because he thought Dash Smashing sounded lame) happen all the time.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
First off, it's a reference from one of Sol Badguy's moves from the Guilty Gear games. Secondly, don't make a thread to rant where you could have just already used one of the other threads...

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Are you seriously telling me Mr. Legend. That when you smash from a run you no longer call it Dash smashing, it's called Hyphen Smashing? WTF. Dude, I'm about to re-name all this ****.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Lol rok, its funny how you dont know how the naming process works, the reason why it is so used is because it was successful as a catchy name which allows everyone to know what people are talking about when they say it, so dont come here complaining about names of new techniques unless you can add some commentary on what you think it should be, Hellbeing out :dizzy:

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that the names don't make any ****ing sense. Hyphen Smashing just comes to mind because the name sounds like crap and you can't tell what its supposed to be. Even if Grand Viper is a reference to Sol, we don't need it. Its not a particularly cool or hard thing to do so I don't see the need to give it a name.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
I'ts Fulfilling it's purpose. Anyways though. Grand Viper, seriously. We should just call it the QuickDraw Fakeout. Or the Fake out, Or the Illusion Combo or something. WTF is up with "Grand Viper".

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
How bout you work on the timing on your PK Flash or something.
PK Freeze.
I'm actually going to be maining Lucas in this game.

I've been interested in Ike ever since Gimpy said he was bad, and I see nothing wrong with Grand Viper, since it's a reference to Sol Badguy and quite a good approach.

Sounds a lot cooler than "advance with quick draw and then lead into u-tilt for a safe approach ololololol."

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
Indeed, close this. You don't need to call it the Grand Viper... You can call it the Grand Toilet for all I care. But Guilty Gear fans can call it whatever they want to, and to us, it reminds most VERY MUCH of the Grand Viper.

But Grand Toilet can work for you, I guess. D:

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
Oh ****. Let's name it what we want. It's not like this will become something of common knowledge like shine. i'm over it. GG is an alright game too.

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
How about instead of making any personal attacks, we actually discuss this like grown men/women? The general trend I see is that someone posts something and someone else makes a childish comeback.

Tell me then; do you support these hideous names? I'm not being mean spirited or anything. I really do believe that these names are pure crap. They don't make sense. The term "shine" caught on because you could tell what it was. It described the attack based on visuals. Hyphen Smashing makes no sense whatsoever. The name is trying to sound "extreme" and the word Hyphen is totally out of place. We might as well call it the Hamburger Rush. Grand Viper makes a reference to another video game that not everyone has played. Frankly, I think that if we are going to name something, it should be a name made up by the Smash community, for the Smash community.

Then there is the issue of giving names to things that don't deserve names. Did we name the Doc's Pill to Down Smash combo? What about Falco's dash attack to Utilt? Just because Brawl is new, everyone wants to slap a name onto whatever little thing they find so that they can be made into semi-celebrities for 15 mins.

asam28

Smash Rookie
first. since when is smash boards representative of grown men/women...LOL!

second. if you don't about GG and sol then what rock have you been hiding under?

he called it grand viper cuz it obviously reminded the guy about the move. if you don't like the name then don't use it. instead of saying "this title shouldn't be used..WAHHH WAHHHW AHHH" how about just not saying it....like holy crap! if someone posts on smashboards, it doesn't compel you to use the term as well....personally i enjoy using such a simple combo and being able to shout GURRRAAND VIPPPERR! but if you don;t then its your prerogative, but for gods sake don't hate the name just cuz u got nothin better.

but i'm a n00b (seriouosly) so what do I know.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
You're a noob Asam. A NOOB. You could've called the move the "**** tac0" and more still people would've did it. Why don't you go get into instant kill gauge and shoot the moon to hell or something.

Miller

Smash Lord
I agree with RoK, ******** names nowadays. BTW Its not even that effective, It works once in a while, and when it does, its awesome, but its just not something you can rely on, like Ike's bair for example, thats something you can rely on ^_^

True Fool

Smash Ace
GG is a great fighting game that has every right to be honored by a name. Quit b*tching over it you stupid prick. I suppose you loved "meta-game" and "wavedashing", right?

Lauf

Smash Apprentice
If you really do like GG so much why are you playing brawl >_> go back to your GG please
oh yeh names for combining moves are lame, like... there's no point to it why bother.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've been interested in Ike ever since Gimpy said he was bad, and I see nothing wrong with Grand Viper, since it's a reference to Sol Badguy and quite a good approach.
Ike actually is much better than what Gimpy said. Gimpy said Ike was bad DURING E FOR ALL. This is not E for All. This is real Brawl. Ike has lost his invisilag from the transition.

To be honest, Grand Viper makes no more sense than Ken Combo. It took me a a bit of searching for me to understand what a Ken combo was, so seriously people, stop complaining about how OMG GRAND VIPER IS TEH LAMZORS. It's a legitimately decent name for a combo that works.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I know. When the E for All reports came back I was one of those people defending Ike and yapping on about Super Armor and knockback.

And naming things gives a fun twist to the community. Why you have to be such kill joys? If you think "Grand Viper" is bad, you don't want to know what us Wolf fans have done with his whole moveset!

Also, that reminded me, I must skeedaddle over to the Lucas boards and suggest "Psychic Orgasm" as a pet name for his up smash.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
This entire thread is pointless, you can't Over B and Up Tilt, I've attempted it. =_=;

There may be like one character at some exact percentage you can do it, but besides that it's useless.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
This entire thread is pointless, you can't Over B and Up Tilt, I've attempted it. =_=;

There may be like one character at some exact percentage you can do it, but besides that it's useless.
you are supposed to whiff the over B, this has been explained to you many times.
learn to read plz.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Of course you whiff it, that's common sense more than anything, the technique is still almost impossible to use and utterly useless.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
well since you have learned to whiff, learn to space.
there's nothing you can't land with proper spacing, and the utilt is not particularly difficult to land after a properly spaced side b

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I know how to space perfectly, I was a Marth. =P

I mean, you can whiff the Quick Draw and then do any attack. Why the up tilt? They can shield just as easily as if you did a Quick Draw and then a forward tilt. And the up tilt isn't particularly fast.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Especially considering your match vids, having playing Marth doesn't mean you were good at it.

Top Bottom