• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Viper, W-T-F.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, did I say combo? No. I said Approach. The "ken combo" wasn't named by him, it was named after him, because first off, it was a combo that he could do without any problem, and it wasn't an APPROACH. Secondly, the "Grand Viper" is not even a COMBO. You hit with, count it, ONE, move. The up tilt. It shouldn't have a name, period.

I could give a flaming **** about some other names, but it's a horrible approach that should not stick. I say we just let the bloody thing die out.
Actually, pretty much everyone has the approach in their videos/guides. I know there's a video topic on this forum where the very first thing done is a Grand Viper. Also, like I said a butt-load of times, Elliot didn't name the move after his tag, he named his tag after the move, and he didn't name the move, someone else named it when they saw him use it.

Combo/approach, what difference does it make? It's a sequence of moves that you do. You're arguing semantics and it's stupid.

You're mixing apples and oranges here. Lag, a slight timing issue, can be adapted to fairly quickly since it's a constant. A large set of moves and their effects that each have completely different timing is a separate issue altogether.
Snake's moves are all constants as well. That, and I adapted to your ROB pretty quick too. What, first match?

I didn't want to personally attack you or anything, but please stop making Johns.

asam28

Smash Rookie
yeah Zadreidididlail, i se what your gettin at but its kind of a bad comparison to make lag=math and a move set=higher calculus....just silly.

you could prolly whoop my *** right now, but once i get better id like to have a match see what you all are really all about. btw ima play TL and dorf so if i do play you no "unfarmiliar" johns

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I'm not making johns here, I lost fairly, I'm just giving a theory as to the cause of my loss. Whenever someone loses, there is always a cause. Making johns means you think there is some unfair reason you lost; controller is stuck or the lag or whatever.

Haha, I'd love to have a match with you. ^^

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
the move shall be called Grand Viper.

you all suck with with Ike unless its Elliot.

Mike G has spoken.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
the move shall be called Grand Viper.

you all suck with with Ike unless its Elliot.

Mike G has spoken.
Did you seriously have to bring back this stupid thread >_<

Wether or not people use F-b to close distance to Ike doesn't matter, it doesn't need a name. It's just using one of his moves.

But if it needs a name, why don't you call it something non-lame sounding.

...maybe Quick Draw? -_-

T-major

Smash Champion
But if it needs a name, why don't you call it something non-lame sounding.

...maybe Quick Draw? -_-
the thing is though, Grand Viper sounding "lame" is nothing but your opinion. I happen to think it sounds SEVERAL times better than Quick Draw... are you telling me that your the only person who can say what sounds cool and what doesn't? because if everybody is using the name "Grand Viper", it must be because they like it... so you have quite a ways to go if you want to explain to everyone how it does, in fact, sound "lame"...

seriously... we're GOING to name moves. you know why? because we want to! it makes things easier to explain if we come up with a name for a combination of moves. you don't like it? too bad! we don't care, and we're not going to change it just because your whining about it...

seriously. it's a lot better, and faster, if we say "do a Grand Viper!", instead of "Use your forward B to get closer, then use your Up tilt to send him into the air!"... it looks a lot worse, and takes three times as long to type/say.

so shut the hell up, and stop your whining. we're going to continue to give moves names, and theres nothing you can hope to do about it. it's ridiculous that you ***** and complain about something that won't ever change,; so your basically just venting your frustration for no reason. it's annoying, and no body cares. so just stop.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
The conclusion of this thread:

I don't agree with it, others won't agree with it. Some will. People who want to give moves or sets of moves names will do so. Those who think it's stupid will not, or will give it different names.

tl;dr: Everyone is entitled to their own opinions/decisions.

/thread

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
the thing is though, Grand Viper sounding "lame" is nothing but your opinion. I happen to think it sounds SEVERAL times better than Quick Draw... are you telling me that your the only person who can say what sounds cool and what doesn't? because if everybody is using the name "Grand Viper", it must be because they like it... so you have quite a ways to go if you want to explain to everyone how it does, in fact, sound "lame"...

seriously... we're GOING to name moves. you know why? because we want to! it makes things easier to explain if we come up with a name for a combination of moves. you don't like it? too bad! we don't care, and we're not going to change it just because your whining about it...

seriously. it's a lot better, and faster, if we say "do a Grand Viper!", instead of "Use your forward B to get closer, then use your Up tilt to send him into the air!"... it looks a lot worse, and takes three times as long to type/say.

so shut the hell up, and stop your whining. we're going to continue to give moves names, and theres nothing you can hope to do about it. it's ridiculous that you ***** and complain about something that won't ever change,; so your basically just venting your frustration for no reason. it's annoying, and no body cares. so just stop.
Really, it was my opinion? Why thank you for pointing out the obvious. Have a cookie.

This approach isn't complicated, you don't have to do an up tilt from it. You are making it seem like there is only one thing you can do with it, when there isn't. "Grand Viper" is from another game first off, and a lot of people DON'T like it. Some people do, and by all means, you go right ahead and use it, but I'm going to assume that a lot of other people are going to think it sounds stupid as well.

And what the hells the point of 'naming' moves? These are basic points of a character that already HAVE moves. Aether, Counter, Eruption, yeah, all names. If I did a quick draw to counter, do I call that "Hidden Dragon" ? No, I call it Quick Draw to Counter. Your argument about 'wanting' to name moves is beyond illogical.

And yeah, I'm b!tching and complaing. Deal with it. You do it right back.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
This approach isn't complicated, you don't have to do an up tilt from it. You are making it seem like there is only one thing you can do with it, when there isn't.
Huh. Sounds just like the Ken combo. BUT ITZ ONLY 2 MOVES NOOB AND U CAN NAIR OR FAIR AGAIN OR SIDEB OR NEURTAL B FROM FAIR SO DONT ACT LIKE DAIR IS TEH ONLY AWPTION. It just happens to be the best one. So we name the 2-part move whatever the hell we want, and you cry more.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Big Rick is the definition of a hater. Then again, it's the highest form of flattery. From what he's using I can tell he's been following my smash career and posts in the Roy Forums thoroughly.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
Huh. Sounds just like the Ken combo. BUT ITZ ONLY 2 MOVES NOOB AND U CAN NAIR OR FAIR AGAIN OR SIDEB OR NEURTAL B FROM FAIR SO DONT ACT LIKE DAIR IS TEH ONLY AWPTION. It just happens to be the best one. So we name the 2-part move whatever the hell we want, and you cry more.
Lawl. Chill. And I do recall that the ken combo was explained already... Your argument fails.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Best option is relative and opinionated. Just like this entire thread. There is no right answer, this is a pointless argument. But ah well, I guess the entire Ike boards are like that.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
So how does the Ken combo not apply here? Care to re-explain? The last guy left.

No Johns.
Ken combo came around because Ken was really good at doing a certain string of moves that worked really well. It never actually had a name, it was just the "fair fair fair fair fair dair" combo. However, THAT gets annoying, cause it's multiple of the same moves and one ending move. So, since pretty much anybody that played smash competitively knew who Ken was, they just called it the Ken combo, more in respect for Ken then it actually being an amazing combo. Also, part of it being a combo, is that all of the moves hits. It's not an approach (although, with Marth it could be cause he is quite the *** in the right hands), like this whole "Grand Viper" deal.

And you know, it wouldn't be so bad, if it was something other than just his quick draw. I mean, any Ike player that's good will more than likely be using that to get around anyway, so why does it REALLY need a name for itself? Why not just keep it as "F-B" so that everybody who ISN'T an Ike player, knows what the hell you're talking about?

And you can't even claim it's shorter to say cause ">B utilt" or "F-B Utilt" or whatever, is still shorter than "Grand Viper".

But, as you've pointed out so many times, this is my opinion. There is no, "Right" or "Wrong" in this, I just think having a name for something so simple is ******** when it's not even complicated in the slightest.

For the record, I have no problem with the guy who named it, or named his tag, or whatever bull**** happened in there, I'm just saying, having an alternate name for his quick draw is [see above].

Top Bottom