• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Setups

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Let's put our heads together here. I think it would be beneficial to discuss ways to land grabs. After actually thinking about desync combos and the ICs move set, I realized that getting a grab should be so much easier than it is. Let's get creative and think of some ways to get grabs. Hopefully this thread kicks off, and we'll have a list of combos and desyncs that ensure a grab. Some of this might be old, but I'm just trying to organize our ideas into a useful thread. People are getting good at not getting grabbed, so let's get better at grabbing!

Run up and shield grab: This is actually more effective than it sounds. I was playing a Marth once and he tried to counter me when I ran up to him. I guess charging at someone puts them on the defensive...

Bait an Airdodge>Grab/Reverse Pivot Grab: Simple, yet effective. To be safe, I would try a dash attack first as your opponent lands to see what their reaction is. Hitting them while they land may also train them to airdodge before hitting the ground.

Utilt: This move works the best on fast fallers and usually only when your opponent isn't expecting it. The only problem with this move is the situational hitbox (it only really hits right above your head). If you can't get a grab, another utilt will usually hit after the first one.

Desynched Squall: Self-explanatory. If you can catch them with a single squall and they don't DI properly, you'll probably get a grab.

Desynched/Alt. Blizzards: The best part about blizzard is that it can't be spot-dodged. It's not always easy to get a grab from a blizzard (unless it's right at the mittens) because your opponent usually ends up above grab range. Also, if you run into the blizzard too early, you may get stunned just long enough for them to escape your grab. This will probably only work if they can't DI...

IB Chase: This one is self explanatory. It can catch your opponent off guard and land a grab or lead to other combos. I use the dash-dance desync (press forward, back, forward) and have Nana shoot an IB. Very easy. Note: the dash dance desynch is different than the pivot desynch. In the pivot desynch, Popo is the first to act. In the dash dance desynch, Nana is the first to act.

Squall>IB Chase: I've never tried this, but it sounds like a good idea. Get them in a solo squall and shoot an IB right when the squall is ending. The IB should add just enough hit stun to sneak in a grab. It may also work because people tend to just shield multi-hit attacks.

Blizzard>Fair: I came up with this yesterday and it makes landing grabs so much easier. I like to use it in correlation with the IB Chase because it's safer. Basically, just have Popo blizzard and have Nana fair. At low percents you can just grab them, and at high percents shoot an IB and you'll force a standup. This is AMAZING because it basically turns the ICs most ranged move into grab. I would definitely try to incorporate this into your game.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed something thus far. Now that basically every possible CG has been discovered, we can focus on some of the other nuances of IC play.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
desynch popo iceblock nana blizzard popo grab? works for me.

and run up + shieldgrab xD

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I heard that Down B move is pretty good for getting grabs in, I forgot the name.

..Eh, I wouldn't know, I'm an IC nub. :[

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Icicle Chase, Squall (for fastfallers) to a grab, Popo or Nana desynched Squall to a Popo/Nana grab, and Nana Blizzard to Popo grab works for me. :/

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Alternating blizzards to a grab.
I've seen nintendogs do it to me.

nasir123

Smash Ace
well i like this thread a lot and i think that i speek for every1 when i say that this should be stickied..

Also what i do u that i do a spin with nana and i kind of do a waddle( instead of grabing and pressing Z for grab atack i just press A and that will make nana us her AA combo) and after that i do an ic block just in case if nana is still doing her spin and i have to get in a grab. I do the IB because it creates a stun so that the opponent cannot atack and the stun doesnot go for to long so if u try that watch out.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Desynced Ice Blocks to force the opponent to approach you, then shieldgrab.

dash-dance desync (press forward, back, forward)
This is a small note and probably belonging to another thread, but it was mentioned here, so anyway... you only need two dashes to initiate a dashdance desync. Back-forward for a forward-facing desync, and obviously forward-back for a back-facing desync. It's an extemely minor note, but it does make the desync that much more quicker and useful.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
U-tilt at low percentages. It's escapable, and it's never going to work on floaters. However, it's also quite unexpected and will probably land a grab the first time you use it.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Desynced Ice Blocks to force the opponent to approach you, then shieldgrab.

This is a small note and probably belonging to another thread, but it was mentioned here, so anyway... you only need two dashes to initiate a dashdance desync. Back-forward for a forward-facing desync, and obviously forward-back for a back-facing desync. It's an extemely minor note, but it does make the desync that much more quicker and useful.
I think you're thinking of the pivot desynch. In the pivot desynch, Popo is the first one to act. In the desynch I'm referring to, Nana acts first. You can also do the dash dance desynch to have Popo charge a fsmash by an edge while Nana slides off and fairs. Just another thing that may be useful...

U-tilt at low percentages. It's escapable, and it's never going to work on floaters. However, it's also quite unexpected and will probably land a grab the first time you use it.
I completely forgot about utilt. Thanks

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
PLUR - lolwat, Blizzard KOs? xD

ignore the fire - afaik it's not the pivot desync, since I'm not actually pivoting (I think). Also I've been able to make either one act first based on when I press B after the dashes. I figured I was dashdance desyncing because it involved dashdancing.

Honestly I'm not the best at desyncing so I could be wrong, but yeah...

Back on topic: IMHO Icies don't have that many "grab setups" compared to plain ol' mindgaming into grabs. ****ty grab range eugh. Although their reasonably decent vertical grab range could be useful...

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
PLUR - lolwat, Blizzard KOs? xD

ignore the fire - afaik it's not the pivot desync, since I'm not actually pivoting (I think). Also I've been able to make either one act first based on when I press B after the dashes. I figured I was dashdance desyncing because it involved dashdancing.

Honestly I'm not the best at desyncing so I could be wrong, but yeah...

Back on topic: IMHO Icies don't have that many "grab setups" compared to plain ol' mindgaming into grabs. ****ty grab range eugh. Although their reasonably decent vertical grab range could be useful...

A dashdance is a series of pivots, and it works because Nana can't pivot while Popo can. The names don't really make sense I guess.

and there grab range is ugly. That's why I want to think of new ways to grab!

Top Bottom