• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gotta Catch'em All: Pokemon Trainer, the Master DLC Choice!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Pokemon is the second biggest video gaming franchise of all time. The series was so popular from it's 1996 conception that it sparked what was studied as an international phenomenon, dominating markets far beyond gaming and reaching into television, movies, anime, trading card games, collectible figures, and just about any merchandise of which you can name. The sensation that is Pokemon is studied on the merits of sociology, anthropology, economy, and far more; it started because researcher wanted to figure out, "What makes this series so successful? How can we replicate it?" The answer to the latter has, of course, not been reach, yet the appeal to such a diverse crowd (genders and ages, primarily) has helped it stick around in top spot of video gaming history.

The Pokemon Trainer, as we know, is the main character of the main series of games; he is on a quest to be a Pokemon Master. It is only through his story and struggles that we relate to the Pokemon World (in the base RPG games and media entertainment as well). Without him, the Pokemon simply exist, and while they are the stars of the world, the Pokemon Trainer is what makes them relatable.

Trainer is the essence of the Pokemon series- Catching and Training Pokemon. Without him, we simply have a myriad of rad creatures to play as. Sure, it is fun, but what does it say about the series? Relatively the same thing a strict roster of Blue Haired Swordsmen says about Fire Emblem. Pokemon is much more about than just the different Pokemon, it is a world with unique characteristics, and those characteristics are not yet seen in Smash Bros. The strategy, the Pokemon Teams, the battling mechanics, the typing system, and of course- the catching and training.

His moveset has two great potentials, though I'd love to see more.
The first, is that he is the hands down best character to be a summoner- one to call in others for Flash animations, and then continue operating. We don't need to have extensive play time (or any) as the Pokemon to get the point across.

The second, and this is what I would love, is if it utilized his TRAINER status; we could easily use our Pokeballs to actually work on catching and training the other fighters in the game! A Trainer is not cowardly, he steps into the thresholds of danger all the time. He could trap enemies in Pokeballs, call forward recently captured enemies to various parts of the stage, and strategically utilize his abilities to make the most of his weapon and team. The Pokeball is, after all, a VERY unique weapon, and could be capitalized on.

Ultimately, I think a combination of these two techniques, would perfectly fix the way Pokemon is represent now, and it would actually amount to more than the sum of their parts (the currently playable roster), to actually represent what the series is about!

The character ushered in our current cast of avatar players. Should he not return?

SOME ALTERNATE COSTUMES
Ultimately, there are a LOT of options they could go with; the Pokemon Trainer has a lot of looks. It would not be hard to get many generations and many genders to be utilized from the hero avatar character.

How can you not see the Pokemon Trainer and think of wasted potential?

not before Ivysaur and squirtle thanks.

Ive been waiting for you to make this with how often you speak of it.

as for the actual character. . .I like the idea because it would allow a lot of minor but interesting characters to get the spotlight some want. without being a full character but a move or two. As someone who knows very little about models the multiple models may be an issue bit I honestly dont know.

"catching" someone in a pokeball is basically a ranged yoshi's egg lay isn't it?

ill support.. . but only if some other trainers are alts.

god there is so much moveset potential here from so many quick summon attacks :/

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Of course I made this thread. Shame no one wants to advocate; but not surprising, as in general, Smash community =/= Pokemon fans, I've quite noticed.

*sits at the party alone with a party hat on*

Of course I made this thread. Shame no one wants to advocate; but not surprising, as in general, Smash community =/= Pokemon fans, I've quite noticed.

*sits at the party alone with a party hat on*
instead they are fire emblem fans is what you wanted to say wasnt it. I kid.

But i think this one just might be something that people havent though about because its always about the pokemon And there is this giant thing about pokemon having too many reps.

Reps in general is stupid but really. Pokemon having too many. Hah. Pokemon is huge.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Funny to say "too many reps" for a series, and in the same sentence, reference Fire Emblem fans advocating more Fire Emblem characters.

Last edited:

Rakath

Smash Ace
I'm not sure what the system limitations are on 3DS fighters, as that's where I would see Trainer hitting the limit.

The best way I can see Trainer working is that various moves are tied to various Pokemon, something like Airs + Up Special are tied to a flying type and other examples along those lines. Putting him somewhere between Zelda and her Phantom, Olimar and Pikmin, and Duck Hunt in functionality. Which as a concept is pretty good on paper, the problem comes with how much resource is eaten by having that many variations of extra elements in a match.

It'd be cool to see a Pokemon Trainer in the thick of combat... but... just not feeling it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
You know what, I could see a Trainer character. With all the various aspects of Pokémon, he would add another part of the franchise that isn't represented in a current Pokémon character.

Funny to say "too many reps" for a series, and in the same sentence, reference Fire Emblem fans advocating more Fire Emblem characters.
that's uhh. kind of what I was hinting at :p

If you want more pokemon vote for gengar:094:
no thanks. would rather have the trainer than a random pokemon with no substantial importance. well other than the intro I guess but then I would have to root for Nidoking

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
Here's an idea I thought would be pretty cool, but it's a little weird.

So, of course, The Palette Swaps would be these.

Yes, 14 palette swaps. I think there should be more than the normal amount to have all trainers.

They would switch Pokemon and fight like before. Since Charizard a regular fighter now, maybe it would be Squirtle, Charmeleon, and Venusaur.

Here's something else though: I thought that they would have different POKEMON for each trainer. They would all work the same though. Same weight, same moves, etc. So, there would be Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawat, and Froakie.

They're different Pokemon, but they all play the exact same.

So of course the fire Pokemon are Charmeleon, Quilava, Combusken, Monferno, Pignite, and Braixen.
Grass is Venusaur, Meganium, Sceptile, Torterra, Serperior, and Chesnaught.

I know it sounds weird, but what do you think?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Here's an idea I thought would be pretty cool, but it's a little weird.

So, of course, The Palette Swaps would be these.

Yes, 14 palette swaps. I think there should be more than the normal amount to have all trainers.

They would switch Pokemon and fight like before. Since Charizard a regular fighter now, maybe it would be Squirtle, Charmeleon, and Venusaur.

Here's something else though: I thought that they would have different POKEMON for each trainer. They would all work the same though. Same weight, same moves, etc. So, there would be Squirtle, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawat, and Froakie.

They're different Pokemon, but they all play the exact same.

So of course the fire Pokemon are Charmeleon, Quilava, Combusken, Monferno, Pignite, and Braixen.
Grass is Venusaur, Meganium, Sceptile, Torterra, Serperior, and Chesnaught.

I know it sounds weird, but what do you think?
Switching to Charmeleon, it at least doesn't have the same difficulty as when others would suggest this, and have Typhlosion take over for Charizard...somehow.

I want to see Trainer get in, but I don't think he needs to have the Pokemon Fight for him now.
That said, I also want Squirtle back in...immensely. So, there is no real way for me to feel satiated.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The Trainer was my second most missed "fighter" behind Snake and right above Ice Climbers.

I don't particularly enjoy playing as the Pokemon themselves, I want the main protagonist to properly join the fray.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is anyone actually voting for him?
I know he would never win popularity; this is where I hope someone is actually reading the well written responses, and that quality may win out in the end!

Well, I think multiple people will win.
I would not believe we were only getting one Pokemon DLC character, unless it is under 5 new additions.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
The cutting of Red (or 'Pokemon Trainer' as Brawl insisted on calling him) is IMO the most tragic cut in SSB history. Being the original protagonist of Pokemon; the hero of the best selling and most popular games in the series; and the inspiration for Ash, he is arguably the most important, recognisable and iconic character in the series besides the obvious one. In my eyes he is the 'other' mascot of the series and if any character deserves to be in SSB bar Pikachu it's him. To put it in perspective the combined sales of Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, FireRed and LeafGreen total over 58 million, Tens of millions of people have went on a grand adventure with this character. That makes him a pretty big Nintendo character in my book,

Unfortunately with the removal of character transformations and Charizard becoming a lone character it looks impossible for him to return as DLC. All we can hope for is he returns for Smash 5.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The cutting of Red (or 'Pokemon Trainer' as Brawl insisted on calling him) is IMO the most tragic cut in SSB history. Being the original protagonist of Pokemon; the hero of the best selling and most popular games in the series; and the inspiration for Ash, he is arguably the most important, recognisable and iconic character in the series besides the obvious one. In my eyes he is the 'other' mascot of the series and if any character deserves to be in SSB bar Pikachu it's him. To put it in perspective the combined sales of Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, FireRed and LeafGreen total over 58 million, Tens of millions of people have went on a grand adventure with this character. That makes him a pretty big Nintendo character in my book,

Unfortunately with the removal of character transformations and Charizard becoming a lone character it looks impossible for him to return as DLC. All we can hope for is he returns for Smash 5.
I agree with the first paragraph.

Not with the second. He just needs to be reimagined. Unlike the Ice Climbers, he would not be destroyed if he were reworked.

Braydon

Smash Ace
no thanks. would rather have the trainer than a random pokemon with no substantial importance. well other than the intro I guess but then I would have to root for Nidoking
No significant importance? Gengar is the original ghost pokemon.

No significant importance? Gengar is the original ghost pokemon.
And?

Pokemon trainer is the first character. Well other than oak i guess. Plus greater moveset potential being all of them basically.

Btw i would love having the fishing rod being used as an attack. Maybe the bike as well.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
And?

Pokemon trainer is the first character. Well other than oak i guess. Plus greater moveset potential being all of them basically.

Btw i would love having the fishing rod being used as an attack. Maybe the bike as well.
But pokemon trainer is not a pokemon, he's just some generic guy who carries around a bunch of balls and throws them at things.

taoxadasa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
taoxadasa
3DS FC
2251-5157-5936
I really want a Pokemon Trainer to be a fighter with a summoning/assist type gimmick, and Pokemon Trainer was my favorite character in Brawl so yeah.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And?

I mean, for Smash attacks maybe...they are fine as things to pay homage to,
but I was never interested in seeing them for the basis of attacks. That is what Villager does.
There is nothing about a fishing rod nor bike that really reflects Pokemon.

But him using them, similar to Peach using a tennis racket, is a nice tribute to the fact that she does. Her move set does not revolve around it, though.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
But pokemon trainer is not a pokemon, he's just some generic guy who carries around a bunch of balls and throws them at things.
that's not true.I may not support the character but i do now ignorace when i see.At the end of the day the pokemon series is about the trainer and his adventures.The trainer is the one that guides the pokemon,he's the one who saves the world from the danger,he's the thing the entire game is about.The trianer is most important thing about pokemon becuase with out him/her there is no game and there no reason for the pokemon extisce

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hmmm... who is an avid Pokemon or veteran supporter...

@ TheAnvil TheAnvil @ Pokechu Pokechu @DoodleDuck97 @BoN~ @ Tepig2000 Tepig2000 @LEGOfan12 @Lilfut @ Megadoomer Megadoomer @ Freduardo Freduardo @smashingDoug @Iblistech @Spatman @ Mazdamaxsti Mazdamaxsti @SMAASH! Puppy @Sonic Poke @linhgame

And other people who might be fun to get in here.
@ N3ON N3ON @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 @BluePikmin11 @KenboCalrissian @ PushDustIn PushDustIn @PeterJude @TheNerdyOne_ @The Light Music Club @papagenos

and some whom I summon which may not be a good idea but will hopefully start some conversation
@Spazzy_D @vaanrose @Frostwraith @GoldenYuiitusin @MorbidAltruism @Wintropy

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Thanks for the tag. Especially to be first!

I think a trainer actually battling would be a very interesting concept, and the trainer is so important to the Pokemon world that it's almost something that needs to happen in Smash.

I think the reason why it hasn't happened yet is because Sakurai would feel it was out of character for a trainer to get physical?

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
I would love to see the Pokemon Trainer return as his own character. His moveset would be really unique and he would round out the Pokemon cast well. I would still support Pichu, Ivy and Squirtle though.

Bonus points if he has different trainers as his alternate costumes similar to Bowser Jr and the Koopalings and Robin/Villager/Wii Fit Trainer.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I actually really wanted a similar idea.....but not exactly the same.

One thing I would have actually wanted is the trainer to actually fight. I just felt it would just be awesome for whatever reasons (maybe because I would find this more familiar?). I think I once said a while ago that if it would happen, my second best stage idea would have to be a pokemon one when trainers could act as hazards :)

I know it's crazy, but when you think about it, it just can make sense. In fact, i think I know why I would love that, I repeated so much the beating the game process that I became to just get used to it. Yet, for whatever reasons, in smash, I only feel the post game is repped because it is like you could do anything with the pokemon you have, they like assume you're the trainer while the problem is the trainer isn't simply that....there's other stuff.

Not to mention that honestly, I love the alts potential for some reasons. It's weird, I had been loving the idea without actually knowing exactly why. Maybe it's because i would feel closer to pokemon just like in its game? idk, but what I know is U already had such an idea, it might sound crazy, but it's awesome.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I would like to see the Pokemon Trainer (or Squirtle and Ivysaur) return in some capacity. The Pokemon Trainer is the main playable character from that franchise - that (and the fact that they didn't prioritize one starter over the others) is why I liked his inclusion in Brawl.

While in the case of the trainer, they'd have to make up a new moveset in order to make up for the lack of transformations, I think it can be done - take Yugi from Jump Super Stars, for example, who summons monsters to attack for him. I could see the trainer using a combination of items (repels, rocks from the Safari Zone, etc.) and six Pokemon (though which ones would depend on which trainer they'd use) for their attacks.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
I think he would work better if he uses items from the games like a fishing rod for the grab the eon flute for up b and a bike for side b customs
but alternates are a no brainer. the 7 male characters plus leaf the female character from fr/lg

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Hmm, interesting idea!

Even if I'd prefer Squirtivysaur, Pokemon Trainer has a lot of potential. Like stated above, he could use the Eon Flute and call in Lati@s. Proably changes depending on the trainer you're using. He could use his bike and ram into people, and he could use popular pokemon.

I'll support!

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
hmm.

well I guess as long as he actually does something unlike in Brawl where he/she is just a dumb background character......

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I like the idea of the Pokemon trainer because he can utilize various Pokemon, and have the potential to have a very unique fighting style.
"Catching" other fighters and then using them against their will wouldn't be fun for the other players, so I can't see that point being incorporated. I can see him trying to catch the other fighters, but they break free (more like Yoshi's egg).

For me, the Pokemon trainer (I'm talking about in general), as a character represents important aspects of the Pokemon franchise.
1. The drive to catch 'em all (catching).
2. Humans use Pokemon to battle.
3. The trainer has control over the experience, Pokemon's evolution, and overall fate (Like if they fight against a certain character they will get raised stats in one area vs. the other).

Ways to represent the above mentioned:
1. is impossible to represent accurately in Smash for reasons I outlined above.

2. has been represented in Brawl.

3. Has not been represented but has the potential to be. For example, with each battle the Pokemon resets. Depending on either what specials are used, regular attacks or how successful the blocks were, the Pokemon gets stronger in one area, and weaker in the others. In a way, it would work like amiibos expect they would actually level up in battle. As a drawback, they could be entirely stamina based, but recover a very small percentage per successful hit. Not sure how it would work as a game like Smash is incredibly dynamic, and it would mix up the formula drastically, but it would be very interesting.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I like the idea of the Pokemon trainer because he can utilize various Pokemon, and have the potential to have a very unique fighting style.
"Catching" other fighters and then using them against their will wouldn't be fun for the other players, so I can't see that point being incorporated. I can see him trying to catch the other fighters, but they break free (more like Yoshi's egg).

For me, the Pokemon trainer (I'm talking about in general), as a character represents important aspects of the Pokemon franchise.
1. The drive to catch 'em all (catching).
2. Humans use Pokemon to battle.
3. The trainer has control over the experience, Pokemon's evolution, and overall fate (Like if they fight against a certain character they will get raised stats in one area vs. the other).

Ways to represent the above mentioned:
1. is impossible to represent accurately in Smash for reasons I outlined above.

2. has been represented in Brawl.

3. Has not been represented but has the potential to be. For example, with each battle the Pokemon resets. Depending on either what specials are used, regular attacks or how successful the blocks were, the Pokemon gets stronger in one area, and weaker in the others. In a way, it would work like amiibos expect they would actually level up in battle. As a drawback, they could be entirely stamina based, but recover a very small percentage per successful hit. Not sure how it would work as a game like Smash is incredibly dynamic, and it would mix up the formula drastically, but it would be very interesting.
I think that he could "catch" players for his grab.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think that he could "catch" players for his grab.
That could work. But he would still need to be on a platform behind the arena. I dont think he would be represented as an actual fighter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I always had the idea that if Squirlte and/or Ivysaur returned they'd be given new Down B attacks but the Trainer would still be in the background cheering them on and giving orders.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I got tagged. Cool. Well, here goes a conversation starter:
I actually could see Pokemon Trainer working remarkably well as a Rosalina like Puppeteer. You give him a small pokemon with basic moves like tackle, headbutt, pound that attack as the Trainer's essential Luma. The trainer still has his own moves like a Fishing Rod used for Grabs, Some Roller-skating Kick Dash Combo, hopping on a bike, throwing safari bait traps.

This could be expanded as either the small pokemon's moves and fighting style are universal and different costumes give you different pokemon that use the same moves and are similarly sized (I'd like a set of a Rattata, a Nidoran, A Sandshrew, a Chicorita cause she's not in the ball anymore, and the trainer's costume would of course change which trainer you look like. Maybe even make the trainer to small pokepuppet match generation-specific), or a set of a number of pokemon with slightly different A moves exist and your B-Down changes your puppet or summons a new one (and you could even add the mechanic that if all three-six of your pokemon faint, you can't summon a new one till your next life) There's a lot you could do with this.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Thanks for tagging me! Pokémon Trainer was one of my favorites in Brawl. I'm afraid I don't have too many cool ideas though.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hmmm... who is an avid Pokemon or veteran supporter...

@ TheAnvil TheAnvil @ Pokechu Pokechu @DoodleDuck97 @BoN~ @ Tepig2000 Tepig2000 @LEGOfan12 @Lilfut @ Megadoomer Megadoomer @ Freduardo Freduardo @smashingDoug @Iblistech @Spatman @ Mazdamaxsti Mazdamaxsti @SMAASH! Puppy @Sonic Poke @linhgame

And other people who might be fun to get in here.
@ N3ON N3ON @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 @BluePikmin11 @KenboCalrissian @ PushDustIn PushDustIn @PeterJude @TheNerdyOne_ @The Light Music Club @papagenos

and some whom I summon which may not be a good idea but will hopefully start some conversation
@Spazzy_D @vaanrose @Frostwraith @GoldenYuiitusin @MorbidAltruism @Wintropy
I could give a flip about Pokemon Trainer, I'm glad Charizard shed his transformation constraints this time around.

Plus I don't think we're going to be getting any more Pokemon anyway.

WAS IT FUN TO GET ME IN HERE

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
I could actually appreciate PKMN Trainer being a fighter in DLC. I think the idea of a focus on TRAINERS, and not POKEMON, would breathe life into the representation of the series.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I got tagged. Cool. Well, here goes a conversation starter:
I actually could see Pokemon Trainer working remarkably well as a Rosalina like Puppeteer. You give him a small pokemon with basic moves like tackle, headbutt, pound that attack as the Trainer's essential Luma. The trainer still has his own moves like a Fishing Rod used for Grabs, Some Roller-skating Kick Dash Combo, hopping on a bike, throwing safari bait traps.

This could be expanded as either the small pokemon's moves and fighting style are universal and different costumes give you different pokemon that use the same moves and are similarly sized (I'd like a set of a Rattata, a Nidoran, A Sandshrew, a Chicorita cause she's not in the ball anymore, and the trainer's costume would of course change which trainer you look like. Maybe even make the trainer to small pokepuppet match generation-specific), or a set of a number of pokemon with slightly different A moves exist and your B-Down changes your puppet or summons a new one (and you could even add the mechanic that if all three-six of your pokemon faint, you can't summon a new one till your next life) There's a lot you could do with this.
I could definitely support this idea, the PM clone engine thread has bounded the idea around (minus the little pokes). My only issue is the pokemon he gets would have to be cooler ones, it'd be underwhelming seeing PT as a dude who just stumbled in from pallet town after catching some scrubby like poke's

Top Bottom