• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gotta Catch'em All: Pokemon Trainer, the Master DLC Choice!

Rakath

Smash Ace
Making Trainer a second Rosalina hurts my delicate sensibilities because:
1. One Rosalina is bad enough.
2. Having only a single Poke limits Trainer in ways that don't represent the character/franchise to the best.

I think the reference to Yugi from Jump is the best way to go about him, the question becomes what roster to give him as far as Pokemon to use. My thought is to give him all the Event Interaction Pokemon in the original RBG era games (Eevee (or an Eevee evolve), Lapras, Snorlax, Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan, Omastar or Kabutops, Aerodactyl). Which does prioritize Red, Blue, and Green over every other trainer but I will happily play favorites in that regard. Having some of his faster moves be game items is cool, especially if part of his concern due to heavily disjointed hitboxes is balance on sending out Pokemon.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hmmm... who is an avid Pokemon or veteran supporter...

@TheAnvil @Pokechu @DoodleDuck97 @BoN~ @Tepig2000 @LEGOfan12 @Lilfut @Megadoomer @Freduardo @smashingDoug @Iblistech @Spatman @Mazdamaxsti @ SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy @Sonic Poke @linhgame

And other people who might be fun to get in here.
@N3ON @aldelaro5 @BluePikmin11 @KenboCalrissian @PushDustIn @PeterJude @TheNerdyOne_ @The Light Music Club @papagenos

and some whom I summon which may not be a good idea but will hopefully start some conversation
@Spazzy_D @vaanrose @Frostwraith @GoldenYuiitusin @MorbidAltruism @Wintropy
I HAVE BEEN NOTICED!!!!!!!
As for what Pokémon the Pokémon Trainer should have, I think he should have Treeko, Marshtomp, and Blaziken, or one Pokémon from every region. The latter would allow you to choose which Pokémon you want, or need at the moment. On both, you should get temporary invincibility upon transforming so you can't be punished for doing so.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
Well, I thought I should comment here because Red is my avatar after all, and he has a special place in my gaming memory so here goes.

I'm thinking the most realistic way for Red to return to the game would be to control Squirtle or Ivysaur if they did come back, like in the last game. I can see why it didn't work out for Charizard though because 'Zard is a proud pokemon who imo has more personality being wild, plus it may have issues with its trainer sometimes like in the anime. I don't think Squirtle or Ivy coming back is very likely, but it makes the most sense for Sakurai to implement him in a concept he has used before.

It would be interesting to know what Sakurai thinks about choosing a trainer in specific, in Brawl he chose Red likely because of his pokes but there's also evidence the games consider Red to be more significant than the player characters of the other gens. His appearances as a boss in HGSS and BW2 give evidence that he's looked at by Game Freak to be the most important, and I tend to agree with them. That being said, I really wouldn't mind others being available as long as I could choose to play as Red.

Now, in my ideal picture of Smash 4 I'd see Red as his own playable character, able to fight with enemies instead of on the sidelines. To do this, he'd mix a few punches and kicks with specials mainly using Zelda's phantom idea like earlier. I don't think the Rosalina idea is a good one since you would probably need much more control and versatility than Luma allows, plus there's a one pokemon restriction. I think a better idea instead would be to use Pokemon as specials and maybe smash attacks (neutral B would be a pokeball like Yoshi's egg though) and base the Trainer's other attacks off of his items he uses in the games (such as using the bicycle as a dash attack etc.) This would make him similar to Villager, another character people didn't see fighting at first. I see more than enough source material in the games to create a moveset for Red though.

Overall though I just don't see PKMN Trainer as getting back in the game unless Sakurai changes his moveset completely like I proposed, and based on what happened this time around he didn't seem to think Red was important enough on his own to give this treatment (or else he would have done something to make him playable again.) I think that's a shame and more so he didn't get an AT or something since I believe the Trainers are very important to the games but it's Masahiro's opinion that counts. I'm just thankful we got a cool fighter in 'Zard and so I can move on, even knowing Red would have potential on his own.

So I'd like to see a Pokemon Trainer like Red back in the game, I just don't see it happening as DLC or most likely ever unfortunately. Though, I could see if they brought back one of the protagonists to be playable in another game (particularly Red) between now and Smash 5 I might see more of a chance Sakurai could make it happen. As it stands, I think a lot of his players may be disappointed a little but they have moved on.

One last thing, N3ON I see your posts a lot around places and I think you are pretty cool from what I've read, but I think your response to the OP was harsh. I'm not supporting Trainer more than superficially so I don't have a real interest here, and it was probably wrong for the OP to tag you without asking, but I think it would have sufficed for you to have just ignored him, sent him a PM or posted here saying thanks but no thanks instead of being hurtful in your public response. With a subject as sensitive as character speculation things can get heated quickly so it's best to follow common rules of courtesy and mutual respect.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, I'm hoping people will still throw a few votes his way.

I think Sakurai should know he hurt the entire representation of Pokemon by removing the main player. This is one case where fans of the veteran would still be thankful to have him back, even with a different move set.

I don't believe Sakurai bias is too strong of a thing, honestly- all of his decisions can easily be explained.
However, I am not sure how he feels about Pokemon as a franchise. I get the feeling he is not a big fan of the games, and thusly, does not play them much. His understanding of the characters seems superficial, and while he likely does research the characters, it seems to be very 'surface value' portrayals of everything in the series.

That said, he is a fan of Squirtle, I remember reading that, and seeing it throughout the series.
If nothing else I hope he brings back Squirtle and Ivysaur. They may have even had work done, who knows what could happen! They would certainly sell very well.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
*A voice, from a distant gallery,
with the satisfaction of a lifetime succeeded behind it*

"But of Course, Pokemon Trainer. Why, I remember..."

PKMudkip

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0087-2827-5098
Switch FC
SW-5862-2113-3817
I HAVE BEEN NOTICED!!!!!!!
As for what Pokémon the Pokémon Trainer should have, I think he should have Treeko, Marshtomp, and Blaziken, or one Pokémon from every region. The latter would allow you to choose which Pokémon you want, or need at the moment. On both, you should get temporary invincibility upon transforming so you can't be punished for doing so.
Nice Idea, but I would say Mudkip, Combusken (or Grovlye), and Sceptile (or Blaziken. The reason that the Combusken/Grovlye Sceptile/Blaziken thing is split is becuase everyone chooses either one or the other. Mudkip pretty much has a spot if he gets in due to popularity.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Pokémon Trainer:
Pokémon no longer get tired
Pokémon no longer switch using their down specials, instead they switch when one is defeated.
Selecting one Pokémon specifically on the character select screen will allow players to use said Pokémon indefinitely during battle, so they don't have to master all three.

That's what I think will happen if the Pokémon Trainer gets back in Smash. As for the Pokémon themselves...

Mudkip
Neutral Special-Whirlpool: Mudkip traps the opponent in a whirlpool. This is a good combo starter, but is highly punishable if you miss.
Side Special-Rock Throw: Mudkip throws a rock. This projectile deals a high amount of damage, and can KO if the opponent is off stage.

Up Special-Return: Mudkip charges in the direction you chose while surrounded by hearts. This is very similar to Power of Flight in function. You can deal damage with this move.
Down Special-Foresight: Mudkip uses his fin to read the opponents move, then retaliates if attacked.
Grovyle
Neutral Special-Swords Dance: Sceptile gets in a battle stance as Leaf Blades slash anything around Grovyle.
Side Special-False Swipe: Sceptile tries to fake out the opponent with a dash attack. If this attack hits an opponents shield, or passes a dodging opponent, Sceptile will attack repeatedly for tons of damage.
Up Special-Arial Ace: Grovyle flies through the air. If he makes contact with an opponent, he will attack repeatedly, and then Meteor Smash the opponent.
Down Special-Mega Drain: This is Noseferatu with unlimited uses.

Blaziken
Neutral Special-Stone Edge: Blaziken fires many small stones at the opponent. This functions similarly to Star Bits.
Side Special-Flame Charge: Blaziken charged forward. This is good for a recovery option.
Up Special-High Jump Kick: Blaziken jumps upward while uppercutting (reference to Sky Uppercut), then Kicks the opponent. This move does not make you helpless if you land the kick, but it has severe ending lag if you miss with the kick.
Down Special-Focus Blast: Blaziken charges for a bit, then releases a ball of energy. This attack is basically Falcon Punch as a projectile.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm very much NOT a fan of the 'Pokemon Trainer should ride his bike and use Safari rocks to throw, and a fishing rod...

Throwing Rocks, fishing, and riding bikes have almost nothing to do with pokemon. You technically do those actions, but so do you walk and speak. It would be just like the Trainer fighting with words- it has nothing to do with the character, nor the gameplay, and it is a statement I can say relatively easily- Pokemon Trainer will not return just to use these lackluster items.

He may use them as a back aerieal or so.. I guess... but it is not the theme of a moveset. It is irrelevant, and barely got Villager in, who actually has a game based around Throwing a Fishing line and digging up fossils.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Add me as a supporter, please.

I imagine his special attacks and smashes to be similar to Yugi's from Jump Ultimate Stars (summon a Pokémon/monster), while his tilts, aerials and throws would be items from the series. Here's what I have in mind:

B: Pokéball: Catches the opponent but they break free after a certain time. At 0-49% after the first wobble. At 50-99% after the second wobble. From 100% onwards after the third wobble.
Side B: Lapras: Summons Lapras who proceeds to shoot an Ice Beam
Up B: Pidgeot: Summons Pidgeot and rides on it, while Pidgeot uses Fly
Down B: not sure

Side Smash: Tauros: Summons Tauros who charges at the opponent
Up Smash: Dragonite: Summons Dragonite who shoots an Hyper Beam in an upwards arch (like Samus's and Ike's up smash)
Down Smash: Summons Snorlax a bit on the air who simply proceeds to fall back on stage.

Final Smash: Master Ball: Control a legendary Pokémon for a while (haven't decided which one)
OR
Final Smash: Max Repel: He notices a huge swarm of Zubats coming by and douses himself with repels while the Zubats attack the opponents.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Add me as a supporter, please.

I imagine his special attacks and smashes to be similar to Yugi's from Jump Ultimate Stars (summon a Pokémon/monster), while his tilts, aerials and throws would be items from the series. Here's what I have in mind:

B: Pokéball: Catches the opponent but they break free after a certain time. At 0-49% after the first wobble. At 50-99% after the second wobble. From 100% onwards after the third wobble.
Side B: Lapras: Summons Lapras who proceeds to shoot an Ice Beam
Up B: Pidgeot: Summons Pidgeot and rides on it, while Pidgeot uses Fly
Down B: not sure

Side Smash: Tauros: Summons Tauros who charges at the opponent
Up Smash: Dragonite: Summons Dragonite who shoots an Hyper Beam in an upwards arch (like Samus's and Ike's up smash)
Down Smash: Summons Snorlax a bit on the air who simply proceeds to fall back on stage.

Final Smash: Master Ball: Control a legendary Pokémon for a while (haven't decided which one)
OR
Final Smash: Max Repel: He notices a huge swarm of Zubats coming by and douses himself with repels while the Zubats attack the opponents.
Great ideas. Max repel would have done cute animations, but I think the epic finale involves a Master Ball.

Top Bottom