• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got goals?

It seems like people say they want to be the best, but maybe they are actually quite content with reaching a certain level of achievement. It seems like there is a ton of appreciation for say M2K, PPMD, Hungrybox, Mango, and Armada. But, isn't anyone else tired of seeing it always be those 5 people being the undisputed best players? Then I get to thinking instead of waiting for someone else to do it, I should just do it myself. But, small steps first. I'll just work on my region for the moment I suppose. Then, again, I suppose I still view melee too much of a hobby than some +5 year goal worth accomplishing.

So, what goals do you all have for melee?

Apparently I am still undecided lol

Last edited:

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
By the end of this year I want to be the #1 melee player in Alabama and Louisiana. By the end of next year I want to be a top 100 player.

Acryte

Smash Ace
"I wanna be the very best... like no one ever was...." DOOO DOOOO DOOOO DOOOOO

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I wanted to be up there but adulthood changed my priorities. Had to work on the weekends so no more tourneys.
But melee is a great hobby though, it keeps me alert and has made me a better player overall in less technical games and chess.

So, l'm done? lol

Phyanketto

Smash Cadet
I'm working on the short term. I want to be the best in my town, then win a tourney at my university, unlikely, since HBox comes to most of ours for free money, so I hear, but I at least want to be able to practice with the best.

Tik

Smash Rookie
I just want to meet some of the people I've been admiring for a while.
Or even play against them.

Perhaps even beat them.

But that's going to take a lot of time and effort.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Competitive goal: just to get top 5 at a local tournament, nothing crazy, but this is still probably very far off considering I've only been practicing advanced techs for about 1 month.

Fun goal: I want to win a match in tournament play with Yoshi.

Phyanketto

Smash Cadet
Competitive goal: just to get top 5 at a local tournament, nothing crazy, but this is still probably very far off considering I've only been practicing advanced techs for about 1 month.

Fun goal: I want to win a match in tournament play with Yoshi.
I'll bet that's doable, since everyone says amsa's success comes from lack of matchup experience.... Who is going to have local experience with yoshi?

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
I want to have a famous youtube channel
I love your YT channel. As a side note, we seem to subscribe to the same theories on L-Cancelling.

As for goals...

• Win my first Local
  • Beat @AustinRC at a Regional
  • Become one of the Top 5 in DFW
  • Become one of the Top 5 in Texas
  • Become Top 50 Nationally
Long way to go, but eventually I'll make it there. I know I can.

Last edited:

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
My Melee goals are simple: continue to improve and continue to have fun.

I always have fun while playing Melee, but at a recent Smashfest in my quickly growing community exposed me. I've been playing this game for a longer period of time and am by far the most technical player in my region, but I was still dropping matches. This hit me emotionally and I realized I must improve all aspects of my game. I am now analyzing both myself and my opponent. I'm also working on my flaws everyday until what I'm trying to practice is perfected (such as movement techniques like wavelanding on the side-platforms of stages, wavedashing OOS, follow-ups, spacing, mindset- basically the entire package.)

I have also set a goal of playing every day, as I was too arrogant and haven't been practicing while everyone else has.

Just had to get that off of my chest!

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I'll bet that's doable, since everyone says amsa's success comes from lack of matchup experience.... Who is going to have local experience with yoshi?
Some may say as lower-tiered characters become more popular among players that others to will learn the matchups and it will be near-guaranteed wins, but it will also further the metagame of those characters.

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
I'm also working on my flaws everyday until what I'm trying to practice is perfected (such as movement techniques like wavelanding on the side-platforms of stages, wavedashing OOS, follow-ups, spacing, mindset- basically the entire package.)
Just curious, do you use the same shoulder button to wavedash every time, or do you use them interchangeably?

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Just curious, do you use the same shoulder button to wavedash every time, or do you use them interchangeably?
I use R for both shielding and wavedashing. I assume it's the slower method :(

I don't use them interchangeably.

Last edited:

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
I use R for both shielding and wavedashing. I assume it's the slower method :(

I don't use them interchangeably.
Ok, so for wavedashing OoS, the really simple solution is to get in the habit of using L to shield, leaving R open to wavedash. This is how I do it. And you can leave L compressed during the wavedash to return to shield at the end of it.

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
That would be the easier way to wavedash oos, but using the same button to do it isn't impossible either. I can wavedash oos comfortably using only the R trigger so it is possible.

on topic- as for a goal for myself, I want to make a name for myself in my region (perhaps get ranked), and I'll move on up from there

JimiMotive

Smash Rookie
My university has a small Smash Bros group and hosts a tournament once a semester. By my senior year, I want to place first. I only entered the second semester one my freshman year and placed third. Three more years!

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
That would be the easier way to wavedash oos, but using the same button to do it isn't impossible either. I can wavedash oos comfortably using only the R trigger so it is possible.

on topic- as for a goal for myself, I want to make a name for myself in my region (perhaps get ranked), and I'll move on up from there
Yes, jump > repress is just as effective. I just was never very reliable at it.

Anywho, that's a great goal! I'm sure you can do it!

Roanz

Smash Rookie
I want Senpai to notice me :nervous:

No but seriousy, short term goals for probably this year and next is placing decent in regionals like at least top 8 and in the money.
Just taking down some top european players would make me feel accomplished.

Long term? No joke I want to be GOAT :cool:. no joke guys. seriously.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Ok, so for wavedashing OoS, the really simple solution is to get in the habit of using L to shield, leaving R open to wavedash. This is how I do it. And you can leave L compressed during the wavedash to return to shield at the end of it.
Oh, I can wavedash OOS perfectly fine using only R, but on the rare occurrence I will air dodge. In general I want to work on my movement. Mango's Fox is getting there, but it's still not at perfection. I want to be able to move exactly how I want and how my mind desires.

Last edited:

Haaaaadoken

Smash Cadet
My goal is to not get 33rd at every tournament I enter. From there I hope to continue to improve as a player and have more focus.

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
I want to become the best, which is why I have unfortunately succumbed to top-tier-itis (that and the fact that Falco is fun as hell to play).

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
My goals are as listed:
1. Win a local tournament. (still working on this lol)
2. Start placing well at out of region tournaments.
3. Get ranked in Norcal.
4. Travel to out of state tournaments and do well.
5. Enter EVO and make it to day 2!

Anarchy plz

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-3885-4711
By the end of this year I want to be the #1 melee player in Alabama and Louisiana. By the end of next year I want to be a top 100 player.
Are you going to the tournament in Baton Rouge on the 9th? I'm very new and would like someone to help me out in friendlies or something.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
I'm in it to have fun first and foremost. I love competition and Melee. Investing time and effort into something and seeing it pay off is incredibly satisfying to me. I want to meet new people and challenges and I want to be a part of the community. I don't really have any goal of becoming the best player out there, though I do tend to daydream. I will of course try and learn as much as I can with the time I spend on the game. It excites me.
I guess winning a local would be pretty nice, so for now, I'll just put that as on my to-do list.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
My cousin and a few of my friends are just now getting into Smash. My goal right now is to move them up to my level to the point where playing a 1v1 is a real challenge to me.

My true goal is to have ppl talking about me and my mastery with a certain character (Hopefully Little Mac!)

JKJ

Smash Ace
My goal is to be the best.
I have smaller, intermediate goals, as well.
Here's how it's broken down:

1. Win a tournament match. (Done)
2. Play my best consistently for an entire tournament. (Done)
3. Place in the money at a local. (Done)
4. Be mentioned as a top 10 player in my region. (Done)
5. Be ranked as a top 10 player in my region. (Done, but the new rankings put me as an honorable mention now, due to a good player moving back to the region)
6. Make it out of pools at a major. (Done)
7. Make it out of pools at a national. (Done)
8. Make it to top 32 at a national. (Incomplete)
9. Beat a top 100 player in tournament. (Incomplete)
10. Place in top 16 at a national. (Incomplete)
11. Become a top 100 player. (Incomplete)
12. Make top 8 at a major. (Incomplete)
13. Make top 8 at a national. (Incomplete)
14. Beat a top player. (Incomplete)
15. Win a national. (Incomplete)

I still have a long way to go, but I don't intend to stop improving, ever. I want to be the best or die trying.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
My goal is to just continue developing as a great Yoshi player. I haven't actually done "technical" things up to this point (I've been playing Smash for many, many years, ever since 64), and now that I'm starting to look into being more technical, I've found that I can hold my own and even make headway against my other smash friends who also fight technically.

List of specific goals:

1.) Get better at wavedashing. (Most of the time when I try to wavedash, I botch the timing and end up dancing in and out of my shield egg. Amusing, but bad for a match)

2.) Hone my Ledge-Eggs. I've gotten to where I can throw eggs off the ledge at a bit of a slower pace, but I need to fix it up and do it fast to be effective.

3.) Stop killing myself with Side-B Egg Roll. (Self explanatory)

4.) Improve my combos and juggling. I'm decent at defense but I need to step up my offense.

Yoshi is and always will be my main.

Top Bottom