• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Google Chrome

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
http://www.google.com/chrome/

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html

Google said:
At Google, we have a saying: “launch early and iterate.” While this approach is usually limited to our engineers, it apparently applies to our mailroom as well! As you may have read in the blogosphere, we hit "send" a bit early on a comic book introducing our new open source browser, Google Chrome. As we believe in access to information for everyone, we've now made the comic publicly available -- you can find it here. We will be launching the beta version of Google Chrome tomorrow in more than 100 countries.

So why are we launching Google Chrome? Because we believe we can add value for users and, at the same time, help drive innovation on the web.

All of us at Google spend much of our time working inside a browser. We search, chat, email and collaborate in a browser. And in our spare time, we shop, bank, read news and keep in touch with friends -- all using a browser. Because we spend so much time online, we began seriously thinking about what kind of browser could exist if we started from scratch and built on the best elements out there. We realized that the web had evolved from mainly simple text pages to rich, interactive applications and that we needed to completely rethink the browser. What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build.

On the surface, we designed a browser window that is streamlined and simple. To most people, it isn't the browser that matters. It's only a tool to run the important stuff -- the pages, sites and applications that make up the web. Like the classic Google homepage, Google Chrome is clean and fast. It gets out of your way and gets you where you want to go.

Under the hood, we were able to build the foundation of a browser that runs today's complex web applications much better. By keeping each tab in an isolated "sandbox", we were able to prevent one tab from crashing another and provide improved protection from rogue sites. We improved speed and responsiveness across the board. We also built a more powerful JavaScript engine, V8, to power the next generation of web applications that aren't even possible in today's browsers.

This is just the beginning -- Google Chrome is far from done. We're releasing this beta for Windows to start the broader discussion and hear from you as quickly as possible. We're hard at work building versions for Mac and Linux too, and will continue to make it even faster and more robust.

We owe a great debt to many open source projects, and we're committed to continuing on their path. We've used components from Apple's WebKit and Mozilla's Firefox, among others -- and in that spirit, we are making all of our code open source as well. We hope to collaborate with the entire community to help drive the web forward.

The web gets better with more options and innovation. Google Chrome is another option, and we hope it contributes to making the web even better.

So check in again tomorrow to try Google Chrome for yourself. We'll post an update here as soon as it's ready.
I'm going to use it. ^_^

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
So, it's going to be like Firefox three, but it won't crash as much?

Awesome.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
At first I was upset that tomorrow's release would only be a "beta", but then I remembered: virtually all of Google's products are beta 100% of the time. Even Gmail is still beta. XD

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I was looking forward to it, at least until I read that they're not initially releasing it for OS X. Actually, I still am looking forward to it, because I really like the idea of sandboxing individual tabs/keeping track of tabs as processes. Firefox doesn't do well when it comes to memory management, especially with a lot of tabs open. FF3 is a lot better than FF2 was, but it's still not where I'd like it to be. On top of that, every now and then I get Firefox reaming my CPU, and I just have to close tabs randomly to figure out what script/plugin/whatever is overloading things. (Since I have a MacBook Pro, that **** gets hot if you let the CPU run for awhile.)

I also think I like Webkit more than I like Gecko (and I'm glad Google isn't introducing a new rendering engine for web developers to cater to). It seems generally quicker, and the animations in the Friend Finder (for example) I noticed are a lot smoother in Safari than in Firefox. The major thing I'd miss from Firefox would be extensions support, but we'll see? Once it gets to the Mac I'll at least try it out.

Last, I understand that Chrome is "beta" and all, but seriously, Google. You're practically the entire reason that every other application in the world gets released as "beta." You didn't think Mac and Linux users would want to get in on the fun?

Xsyven: personally I'm not always a huge fan of Google software on the desktop. I really like Picasa for the most part (of course, that's Windows only, unless you use Wine to run it on Linux/Mac), but that was only bought by Google. I think they tend to do too much to make software simple to use for simpletons, at the expense of power users (and, at times, common sense).

Skyler: actually it's not very much like Firefox at all, besides the fact that it's a web browser. :p

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I eagerly await the Linux release (I'll be toying around with it on sugarpoultry's Windows XP computer for now). I would be mad normally, but methinks it would've been extra stupid for Google to have waited until all three were stable until releasing (thus delaying tomorrow until who-knows-when).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Skyler: actually it's not very much like Firefox at all, besides the fact that it's a web browser. :p
It sounded that way to me. Ah, well.

I don't know if I'll try this out or not. I'll wait to see other people's impressions of it.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
That's how I feel about Macs.
I knew someone would say that. :p I would say on the surface, it looks that way. But my Mac's way more stable than any Windows machine I've owned (not perfect, but still better). And real power users can fly in a terminal that works the same as any other *NIX system. (If you don't use the command line, though, you might not be as impressed. I get the impression that simpletons and power users can both get a lot out of OS X, but middle of the road users who've gotten used to Windows are more reluctant to learn OS X because they've only learned Windows by rote. Maybe I'm wrong.)

It sounded that way to me. Ah, well.

I don't know if I'll try this out or not. I'll wait to see other people's impressions of it.
Well, when it comes down to it, browsers pretty much work the same way. Pretty much all of them do bookmarks/tabs/etc. nowadays. Since Chrome uses a different rendering engine than Firefox (which is the biggest difference among browsers as far as, well, browsing goes), it's probably going to be "closer" to Safari than Firefox, not that that means much. :p

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I just wanna test out the slick new memory management and Javascript engine. ^_^

Sensai

Smash Master
/sigh

I dunno. I'll try it out I suppose, but it's going to take a miracle for something to beat Opera...

[Edit:]

The one thing that I really do have to give them, though, is that whole seperate processes for seperate tabs thing. That's a really nifty idea...

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
i really like chrome, it saves really space with your interface so you can see more webpage

i'm still gonna use ff3 though, i don't know how i can live without my add-ons ahah

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
Im excited about it, Google has always been about the people so I wanna see how it turns out.

blowuptheking

Smash Cadet
Well, Chrome DOES seem to be a bit faster than Firefox and it's taking up about a third of the memory that my co-currently running firefox is, but it still kinda bugs me.
I can't scroll up with my touchpad, but I can scroll down. And I can't zoom in on images like I can with various FF add-ons. I'll let Chrome mature a little bit, then I'll take another look at it.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
lol, i also just noticed that when i click with my mouse wheel, nothing happens, I have to roll the wheel or click the bar to scroll down a page :(

Keku

Smash Apprentice
I happen to be typing with it as we speak, I've really enjoyed it so far. I never thought I'd even want to change Firefox to anything else, but this feels fresh and innovative. There's some minimal stuff that I'd like to see improved, but it just launched and it's still in it's infancy, so I hope to see those improvements pretty soon. Considering all that, thumbs up for the guys at Google once again. You should all give it a try.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services
Say goodbye to your copyright.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
its called open source.
It's called "Terms of service", which you must accept. That quote is straight from Google's ToS.

It's called, don't be an uniformed, butt-hurt fanboy.

It's called reading comprehension.

:embarrass:embarrass

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
first of all, that doesn't take away your copyright.

and they changed the ToS again, section 11 now reads only this:
You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
Chrome ToS
cnet article

F1r3w0lf

Smash Apprentice
Stop having a boring tuna...stop having a boring l
Had it for less than 1 min. Seems very pretty and user friendly, but I'm just too much into FireFox. It also doesn't have AdBlockerPlus, which blocks 100% of bad ads while keeping all good flash/java. Definitely get it if you have FireFox (ABP i mean.)

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
first of all, that doesn't take away your copyright.
Umm...yes it does. :laugh::laugh::laugh: How the hell do you think it doesn't?

If they've changed it, good. They have no right to any material that anyone else decides to create.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
As first noted by CNET News on Tuesday, Chrome's End User License agreement appeared to give Google a perpetual right to use anything one entered into the browser. Section 11 stated that although users retain copyright to their works, "by submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services."
read that....?

Sensai

Smash Master
Wow. The two of you fussing at one another, stop it. Toecutter was right; it did look a lot like some Big Brother type ****. Yinlong is right, too; they changed it or are soon to change it. Done.

And I once again have to wonder: how many people use Firefox/Chrome for the open-sourceness of it? That's the only reason I use FF on Linux...but in Windows, it's definitely Opera 'cause it's simply the superior browser experience...

I figure the people switching to Chrome will all be Firefox users who want something more Opera/Safari-ish and still want open source. That, or people who want something made by Google simply because they like Google.

God ****, I sound really elitist. Sorry, I don't mean to be. Just an observation.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
read that....?
And? So you retain the "copyright" while losing what it entails. You no longer have exclusive publication, production, sale, or distribution. Some copyright.

Moot point now that it's been changed. There's no question what caused the change though.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
You guys are all up in a tizzy about nothing.

There's no way that just because Google would put that in the TOS, that it means that they have a license to overrule copyright law.

Imagine, for example, that I put a sign at my yard that said "Any material that is carried within 50 feet of my property becomes my property too."

Just cause I put a sign out doesn't make it legal.

Sensai

Smash Master
Well? After having used it for a week (or rather, with it having been out for about a week) what do you guys think? Is anyone still using it?

Somehow, I just don't see it beating out Firefox or Opera...

noodles

Smash Champion
it sucks on youtube. if a video freezes right click the bar at the bottom (window for the page yr in) and the video would most of the time

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
the browser colors and lay out screams kde. apparently the mac version is coming out soon. i can't wait to try it out.

EDIT - i don't think it will beat opera as far as i am concerned.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I heard the Linux version is in really bad shape right now. That makes me a sad panda.

Sensai

Smash Master
the browser colors and lay out screams kde. apparently the mac version is coming out soon. i can't wait to try it out.

EDIT - i don't think it will beat opera as far as i am concerned.
Cool, another Opera user. Nice to meet you...I fear we're in the minority here.

And it seems kinda silly that Google didn't release it simultaneously across all the platforms. They're pretty big into the whole 'all Operating Systems' thing and it's even open source, which, to me, screams Linux.

/shrugs

Top Bottom