• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gooey, the Friendly Blob of Dream Land for Smash! Now Playable in Star Allies!

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I love Gooey. I've lowkey wanted this goofy lad since the days of Brawl, and after having loads of fun with him in Star Allies, I can confidently say that he's now my most wanted Kirby newcomer. If Sakurbias gets in the way of Bandana Dee's inclusion for representing modern Kirby, then I can see Gooey being just obscure and weird enough to be chosen as the next most viable Kirby rep. We know Sakurai doesn't always like going with the most predictable option, after all. Sign me up!
Uhh.....What he said.

Ever since I played SSB Crusade a year or two ago, I've fallen in love with the little goober, & I honestly think he'd be a much more fun addition than Bandana Dee (zero offense to the Dee or his following though.)

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Could happen i guess, but the animations would have to vary alot.

And the inhale would probably just be gooey eating them

D

Deleted member

Ask yourself this: can Gooey be an alt of Kirby?
The answer to that is obviously no. Their body shapes are too different.
Therefore, he also can't be an Echo Fighter since they are basically just clones with a different distinction.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Ask yourself this: can Gooey be an alt of Kirby?
The answer to that is obviously no. Their body shapes are too different.
Therefore, he also can't be an Echo Fighter since they are basically just clones with a different distinction.
Yeah...That's kind of what i was thinking

It could happen, but nintendo would need to take A LOT of creative liberty.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
He's so cute, I wanna Warlock Punch him! I support! I SUPPORT!!! lol
Warlock Punch and Falcon Punch are both inadequate choices for the task of punching Gooey, there is only one move that truly works on Gooey.
Captain Zero.png

ZERRRROOOOO PAAWWWNNNCCCHHHH

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Gooey is a very unique choice, one I am behind very much. He’s got no chance of being in the base game at all, but I could see him for DLC as Star Allies makes him relevant again. For somebody with no limbs, I think he’s got fantastic Moveset potential before accounting for the Animal Friends. And Gooey could represent Classic Kirby while Bandana Dee brings in Modern Kirby. It all works out.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Actually I think Gooey COULD be a Kirby echo. All of the Kirby attacks that require limbs to use can just have tongue animations.

Inhale => Eat (like Yoshi's neutral special + copying ability)
Hammer => Parasol (Gooey doesn't use a hammer, but the parasol can be used the same way except with a water element)
Final Cutter stays the same
Stone stays the same

Then final smash would be his Dark Matter transformation.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I want to share a touching story with you all.

For my birthday back in April, I had some friends come over and play video games. Towards the end, two of my friends and I decided to trek through the boss mode in Star Allies, where we unlocked the "Soul Melter" difficulty. At that moment, we made a pact to overcome this obstacle in our path with a team purely made up of Gooeys (and Kawasaki as a CPU healer). We did exactly that, and every waking moment was either glorious, hilarious, or a wonderful mixture of the two. Three goofy guys and an equally goofy character mixed with a tense situation really lends itself well to comedy, and I cherished every second of it.

That being said, I am a huge Kirby fan. To see a new Kirby character - whether it be Bandanna Dee, Marx, or Gooey - would make my day. Please add me as a supporter.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm a supporter of Adeleine, but I can support Gooey as well. Kirby's Dream Land 3 is my favorite game, and I really want the Dark Matter trilogy to be represented in smash with a newcomer, would it be Adeleine (& Ribbon), Dark Matter Blade or Gooey (or even the animals if they manage to).

I still prefer Adeleine, but count me in as a supporter for Gooey as well.

If he gets in, I hope he uses the animals in his moveset, especially the 3 exclusive to Dream Land 3 (Nago, Pitch and Chuchu).

Some days ago there was that fake leak of Skull Kid and Bandana Dee in a pokè-float like stage. The picture was well made despite being fake.
Anyway, it was a good mock-up of how Bandana Dee would look in Smash, and IMO it only consolidated my opinion of how bland he looks.
Really, near Skull Kid, he felt like an assist trophy, despite having the name, picture and the percentage below. That's because his design is so simple, forgettable and not expressive at all (Ironically, I think that the bandanna contributes at making him even more forgettable design-wise compared to a regular Waddle Dee).

I think that Gooey is the only other character besides Kirby himself who, despite being incredibly simple in design, can still be very iconic, solid, and have a strong personality. The only problem is that his design is very similar to the one of a different character from a different series (Smile from Dragon Quest), but the derpy eyes and the tongue are enough to distinguish him from the Square Enix impostor :grin:.
The HAL team did a good job at creating a secondary character who's just as simple as Kirby without being a rip-off of him (or any other character), and who has the same level of expressivity as him; he would work very well as a recurring Player 2 character, and due to his mysterious Dark Matter nature, you can be very creative with him, you can make him change shape, split into clones, change color, become a dark cloud, possess other enemies and character (even if he has never done it so far, but he's still a Dark Matter), even give him copy abilities like Kirby, etc. still staying canon with the lore of the series.
Too bad that they decided to exclude him from the franchise for so long (for even more years than Adeleine to be honest).

In conclusion, I support Gooey but I support Adeleine way more; regardless, add me to the list if you want.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Kind of shocked this is only a two pager. But Dream Land 3 is on switch systems everywhere and Gooey is the first non Kirby playable character.

If they did an echo pass, Gooey would work pretty well as an echo for Kirby. Same as Chrom is Roy with Aether, Gooey’s inhale can just work like Yoshi’s tongue.

Top Bottom