• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gooey, the Friendly Blob of Dream Land for Smash! Now Playable in Star Allies!

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. This is the thead of Gooey, the cute and derpy friend that originates from the Kirby franchise!

-"Who the Hell is Gooey?"-

Gooey is Kirby's friend that first debuted on Kirby's Dream Land 2, where he is found in bags after defeating certain Mid-Bosses (which usually contain Kirby's Animal Friends) if Kirby already has Animal Friends, he will appear instead and will replenish any health that Kirby lost in Battle.

However, his real claim to fame was in Kirby's Dream Land 3, where he was a playable character that could be controlled by player 2 or the CPU (similar to the helpers in Super Star) just like Kirby, he can copy enemy abilities by licking them instead of inhaling them.

-an example of Gooey attacking the enemy with his trademark licking abilites (watch out Yoshi)-

The premise of Dream Land 3 goes like this: One day, Kirby and Gooey were fishing, and then they looked up the sky and noticed a giant black object floating above them (later revealed to be Zero) and said object spitted out black clouds that infected the inhabitants of Dreamland (namely King Dedede) which made them start acting hostile, and it's up to Kirby and Gooey (and the Animal Friends) to save the day.

That was the last time we saw our little blue buddy in action. Outside of cameos (such as his Trophy in Super Smash Bros Melee) it seemed Gooey was a only a memory, a long lost friend.............

....that was until Kirby Star Allies, where he came back as a Dream Friend (basically a helper that it's its own character with unique abilities of its own instead of a random enemy that you could turn your ally to that shares the same moveset as Kirby 's copy abilities) in the Free Match 28th update. Unlike normal friends, Gooey must be recruited by using the Dream Rod in the Dream Palace.

-"Okay, so what does he have that makes him stand out?"-

He is noteworthy due to the fact that he is part of the Dark Matter race who are antognists of what fans call "the Dark Matter saga", yet he is benelovent and nice, which means or at least implies that the Dark Matter species has free will and independent tought to an extent. This makes him stand out as an individual and therefore, his own character.

Not only that, but Gooey is also the first playable character in the mainline Kirby series that is not Kirby himself (obviously) a mount power up (the Animal Friends) or a generic enemy mook (the helpers from Super Star and Non-Dream Friends from Star Allies) Dedede, Meta Knight and Bandanna Dee became playable later. This means that if it wasn't by his lack of appereances, he would be in the same equal level as the Main 4 (Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight and Bandanna Dee) as his own character.

-"But how would he play in Smash? Does he bring anything unique to the table?"-

Well yeah. For one, he same the same main ability that Kirby is known for, and that is copying enemy abilities. This means he could use abilites from the Kirby franchise in his moveset similar to Kirby and Mega Man.

Howver, there's one difference that sets him apart from beign a boring Kirby clone, and that is his tounge.

In Kirby Star Allies, Gooey is capable of attacking by lashing out his tounge in a similar manner to a whip. This idea is what will help him stand out among the crowd, as there are no whip users outside of Zero Suit Samus, and sure the tounge is not a whip, but it basically works like one.

The ideal way to implement him in Smash in my opinon would be by giving him a combination of moves based on ablities from Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Parasol, Burning) and whip-like attacks with his Tounge just like in Star Allies. He would be a short and fast lightweight fighter that relies on on Long Ranged Melee attacks. He would be different from Kirby in the way that he would have faster running and walking, but will only have 2 jumps instead of mulitple like the other Kirby characters.

Also, you may be wondering: "how the hell he would hold items or ledges if he has no arms or legs?". Well, it's simple, he would just sprout stubby arms from his body whenever the situation demands (just like he did in Dream Land 3), or alternatively, he would use his tounge (in Kirby Star Allies, he holds the Parasol with his tounge instead).

-Gooey using his Stubby "arm" to hold a parasol in Kirby's Dream Land 3-

-"What are his chances?"-

Unfortunately, not every high. I already hinted at this, and that is that Gooey doesn't appear a lot in the series which lowers his chances. After his playable appereance in Dream Land 3, he dissapeared from the franchise and we only got cameos at best.

Even if his appereance in Star Allies helps him, it may be too late for him, since it's likely that the roster was already decided by now (and we don't even know if the Smash Bros developers knew too much of Star Allies).

There's also the fact that Sakurai (who has been confirmed to be helping in developing Smash Switch in some capacity, he has not been comfirmed to be the director yet) rarely represents Kirby content in Smash that is not from the games he created or had a hand in developing, and he references them as trophies at best (like the afromentioned Gooey Trophy in Melee or Galacta Knight's trophy in Smash 4)

Even then, he has a lot of competition when it comes to potential Kirby Newcomers, Bandanna Dee (Not only is he the most requested Kirby character in general, but one of the most popular Smash requests in recent times) Marx and Magolor (both Final Bosses in the franchise who have a lot of popularity, and Marx has retruned in Star Allies just like Gooey while Magolor has managed to keep appearing in notable roles) Adeleine (there has been a lot of demand for her return, and with the Artist ability beign basically a homage to her, it's pretty likely the she will appear in the second wave Star Allies's Dream Friends) and so on.

So all in all, Gooey is pretty unlikely all things considered.

Regardless we must show our support for the Derpy slime made of Dark Matter, because Star Allies may just be the start of him coming back to make more recurring and prominent roles, and i doubt they would have included him if it wasn't by the fact that a lot of people missed the little guy (before Bandanna Dee became an important face to the franchise in Return to Dreamland, Gooey seemed to be the most demanded Kirby newcomer for Smash in Japan) all we need is to voice our love for Gooey and maybe we will see him again.

-Moveset Ideas-
Can he crawl: No

Can he wall jump: No

How many jumps do they have: 2

Is there any exclusive abilities he has: He can attach himself to walls, can enter Mock matter state which effectively allows him to fly for a limited time

Weight: 56

Walk speed: 0.73

Dash speed: 1.2

Air speed: 1.27

Falling speed: 1.4

Entrance: Gooey comes out of a sack and waves towards the screen with his tongue.

Idle 1: Gooey scratches his head with his tongue.

Idle 2: Gooey rolls his eyes.

Jab: Gooey performs his tongue lash attack, followed by a flurry of repeated tongue lashes. Finishes with a powerful tongue lash.

Dash attack: Gooey performs his burning attack, bursting forward for a short time.

Forward tilt: Gooey performs his clean attack, sweeping the opponent with a broom. Creates a small windbox that pushes opponents away.

Up tilt: Gooey takes a parasol and holds it above his head.

Down tilt: A crouching lick. Deals multiple hits and weak knockback.

Forward smash: The Super Boomerang attack from Kirby 64. Gooey splits himself into two parts, with one of them becoming a spiky boomerang that he launches a short distance forward, and then comes back. Can be angled either upwards or downwards.

Up smash: The Giant Claws ability from Kirby 64. Gooey grows “arms” that become a huge spiked bear trap, then snaps it shut. The spikes on his arms deal damage during the charge.

Down smash: The Light bulb ability from Kirby 64. Gooey turns into a light bulb that explodes, damaging and stunning opponents. The more you charge it, the more time the opponent is stunned.

Neutral aerial: The Fireworks ability from Kirby 64. Gooey explodes in a colorful burst of Fireworks, which send him a bit into the air.

Forward aerial: Gooey lashes his tongue at a 45-degree angle front in below.

Back aerial: Gooey turns around and unleashes a short flurry of repeated tongue lashes. A multi-hit attack.

Up aerial: Gooey whips up a short-lived vortex above himself with his tongue. A multi-hit attack.

Down aerial: Nago’s Parasol ability from Kirby’s Dream Land 3. Gooey uses a parasol like a pogo stick and thrusts it downwards, bouncing off enemies when he hits them.

Pummel: A headbutt.

Forward throw: Gooey tosses the opponent forward.

Back throw: Gooey spins once and tosses the opponent behind him.

Up throw: Gooey tosses the opponent overhead, then transforms the upper part of his head into a needle, which attracts electricity that shocks them ala the Lightning Rod ability from Kirby 64.

Down throw: Gooey pins the opponent to the ground, then turns into a spike ball and rolls back and forth on their backs, which launches them upwards (Think Jigglypuff’s down throw, but with SPIKES).

Neutral Special - Snack Lick: Gooey grabs an opponent with his tongue. This is essentially a command grab, but like in Star Allies it can be charge. The more you charge it, the more range it has, and it also affects the amount of damage dealt when the opponent is tossed. The throwing animation is that of the Tongue Slingshot from Star Allies regardless of which direction you throw the opponent.

Side Special - Dark Laser: Gooey fires his Dark Matter Laser that travels about halfway across the screen and can be angled in 8 directions. Stuns opponents when it hits them.

Up Special - Mock Matter: Gooey transforms into his Dark Matter form, which allows him to hover by pressing up, though he loses one of his yellow “orbs” every 2 seconds which causes him to slightly lose altitude, and once he loses all of them (He has 8) he will enter helpless state. He can also fire Dark Lasers in midair, but it causes him to lose an orb.

Down Special - Needle Gooey: Gooey grows spikes that damage enemies, give him super armor and let him attach himself to walls. The only downside of this attack is that Gooey cannot move while he’s in this form, though he can end it by simply pressing the B button.

Final Smash - Friend Circle: A big sack appears and opens, revealing Nago, ChuChu and Pitch, the animal friends from Kirby’s Dream Land 3. They form a ring along with Gooey and start rolling, damaging everything in their paths. Unlike in Star Allies, you can turn around while using this attack, and you automatically do so when it reaches a ledge. Lasts about 15 seconds.

Up taunt: Gooey waves towards the screen with his tongue.

Side taunt: Gooey wiggles his tongue like a wave.

Down taunt: Gooey gets covered with snow and extends his tongue, then shakes it off himself.

Victory animation 1: Gooey performs his victory dance.

Victory animation 2: Gooey performs his short dance from Star Allies.

Victory animation 3: Gooey does this entire animation.

Victory theme: Hyper Zone 2 (18-23)

-Supporters-
Current Number of Supporters: 30 !
Tord the Red Leader
Lampy
Aussie the Shinobi
Zero Soul
Bestmand902
YoshiandToad
Auroxen [sbvpXVII]
SquashiniKun
Shadow Keeby
Zeox
ChrysanthosVice
fogbadge
Spoon Man the Eleventh
smashkirby
ZestyÑ
Ze Diglett
Blips
Ed-boy
SEGAGameboy
Lisbon Mapping
Ridrool64
Sheng Long
SodiumChloride
NintenEdgyMan
Zabadoo
Iko MattOrr
Mogisthelioma
Smashing Ramen
TheEgilHasLanded
Kenny (Piplup 4 Smash)

-Signature Icon-

-By Vaanrose-

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I support the blue blob of cute.
Sign me up.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Gooey is a good boi.

If he can be great fighter in Super Smash Bros Crusade, he can be just as good in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Updated the thread's supporter list and fixed some errors and typos.

Auroxen [sbvpXVII]

Smash Rookie
NNID
Simobros17
3DS FC
1118-0217-3683
I LOVE Kirby's Dream Land 3 and this character could be very interesting and weird
I support this (even tho I would still prefer Magolor or Marx as a new Kirby rep)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
oie_YX73R2d2UUDd.gif

I know you already know this but I support, I think Gooey would be a great addition to Super Smash Bros and there's no way I'm not going to main/co-main him if he gets in.

D

Deleted member

The Dream Friends Update is out!

Our God and saviour has arrived!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I just watched some gameplay of Gooey.
Did Gooey have that Dark Matter flight in his original game?

D

Deleted member

I just watched some gameplay of Gooey.
Did Gooey have that Dark Matter flight in his original game?
Yes. In Kirby's Dream Land 3 he used it against the Final Boss (he didn't used Dark Lasers though, that's a nod to Dark Matter itself)

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
While my heart is set on Bandana Waddle Dee for Smash, Star Allies made me like this cute derp while I was playing as him. His pause-screen description is so goofy and I love it.
bigmood.jpg

So if Bandana Dee gets into Smash Switch, Gooey is my number two...ey. heh. So I'm a supporter, but BWD takes precedence for me right now.
:050:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not going to lie, playable Gooey(and Bandana Waddle Dee) is pretty much my main reason for wanting to get Kirby Star Allies...and alongside Smash, Odyssey, No More Heroes and the ports of Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors and Tropical Freeze it's pretty much the reason I'm grabbing a Switch.

Gooey is (slightly) responsible for me desiring a Nintendo Switch!

D

Deleted member

Sorry guys, Gooey is not big enough to hang out with the big boys.

D

Deleted member

Zerp Zerp , i was wondering if you would be intersed in taking ownership of the Gooey thread, since i wanna focus on take ownsership of another thread, and having too much threads on my possession would prove to be a hassle.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Zerp Zerp , i was wondering if you would be intersed in taking ownership of the Gooey thread, since i wanna focus on take ownsership of another thread, and having too much threads on my possession would prove to be a hassle.
Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. Obviously I'll update the OP when or if there's more Gooey related info and update the supporter list whenever more people want to be on it, but if there's anything else special you'd want me to do in your place, just tell me about it and I'll make sure to do that as well.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. Obviously I'll update the OP when or if there's more Gooey related info and update the supporter list whenever more people want to be on it, but if there's anything else special you'd want me to do in your place, just tell me about it and I'll make sure to do that as well.
Then it's settled. I give you the keys to the Gooey Thread.

@NonSpecificGuy, do you think you can transfer ownership to Zero Soul?

Zeox

Smash Champion
I support the blue blob, Kirby dream land 3 was my first Kirby game, is part of my childhood, and Gooey is love.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
gooey returning in star allies reignited me desire to see him in smash, put me down as a supporter

his moves in star allies would translate really well into smash

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Before now (as in, pre-Brawl and pre-Smash 4) I was a silent Gooey supporter. I support him fully now, so can I be added to the support list?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I support if the sig icon didn't make that obvious.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm planning on making a moveset for every dream friend, and I want to do them in release order.
However, I might give Gooey priority because I really want to show off my idea for him ( Zerp Zerp you know what I'm talking about, don't tell pls).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
i suppose it would be fun to have another character who could do it
Adding on to this, do you all think Gooey should fly in Smash like Kirby (considering he could do it in Dream Land 3 and all), use limited jumps (like SSB Crusade), or gain free flight via his "Mock Matter" form?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Adding on to this, do you all think Gooey should fly in Smash like Kirby (considering he could do it in Dream Land 3 and all), use limited jumps (like SSB Crusade), or gain free flight via his "Mock Matter" form?
well all kirby characters should have more than two jumps considering how they can all pretty much stay in air indefinitely in their own games, i think it would be a nice touch for him to take on his mock matter form when he jumps

D

Deleted member

Just finished my moveset, so I'll post it here (My english is imperfect so I may have made a few errors here and there)

Can he crawl: No

Can he wall jump: No

How many jumps do they have: 2

Is there any exclusive abilities he has: He can attach himself to walls, can enter Mock matter state which effectively allows him to fly for a limited time

Weight: 56

Walk speed: 0.73

Dash speed: 1.2

Air speed: 1.27

Falling speed: 1.4

Entrance: Gooey comes out of a sack and waves towards the screen with his tongue.

Idle 1: Gooey scratches his head with his tongue.

Idle 2: Gooey rolls his eyes.

Jab: Gooey performs his tongue lash attack, followed by a flurry of repeated tongue lashes. Finishes with a powerful tongue lash.

Dash attack: Gooey performs his burning attack, bursting forward for a short time.

Forward tilt: Gooey performs his clean attack, sweeping the opponent with a broom. Creates a small windbox that pushes opponents away.

Up tilt: Gooey takes a parasol and holds it above his head.

Down tilt: A crouching lick. Deals multiple hits and weak knockback.

Forward smash: The Super Boomerang attack from Kirby 64. Gooey splits himself into two parts, with one of them becoming a spiky boomerang that he launches a short distance forward, and then comes back. Can be angled either upwards or downwards.

Up smash: The Giant Claws ability from Kirby 64. Gooey grows “arms” that become a huge spiked bear trap, then snaps it shut. The spikes on his arms deal damage during the charge.

Down smash: The Light bulb ability from Kirby 64. Gooey turns into a light bulb that explodes, damaging and stunning opponents. The more you charge it, the more time the opponent is stunned.

Neutral aerial: The Fireworks ability from Kirby 64. Gooey explodes in a colorful burst of Fireworks, which send him a bit into the air.

Forward aerial: Gooey lashes his tongue at a 45-degree angle front in below.

Back aerial: Gooey turns around and unleashes a short flurry of repeated tongue lashes. A multi-hit attack.

Up aerial: Gooey whips up a short-lived vortex above himself with his tongue. A multi-hit attack.

Down aerial: Nago’s Parasol ability from Kirby’s Dream Land 3. Gooey uses a parasol like a pogo stick and thrusts it downwards, bouncing off enemies when he hits them.

Pummel: A headbutt.

Forward throw: Gooey tosses the opponent forward.

Back throw: Gooey spins once and tosses the opponent behind him.

Up throw: Gooey tosses the opponent overhead, then transforms the upper part of his head into a needle, which attracts electricity that shocks them ala the Lightning Rod ability from Kirby 64.

Down throw: Gooey pins the opponent to the ground, then turns into a spike ball and rolls back and forth on their backs, which launches them upwards (Think Jigglypuff’s down throw, but with SPIKES).

Neutral Special - Snack Lick: Gooey grabs an opponent with his tongue. This is essentially a command grab, but like in Star Allies it can be charge. The more you charge it, the more range it has, and it also affects the amount of damage dealt when the opponent is tossed. The throwing animation is that of the Tongue Slingshot from Star Allies regardless of which direction you throw the opponent.

Side Special - Dark Laser: Gooey fires his Dark Matter Laser that travels about halfway across the screen and can be angled in 8 directions. Stuns opponents when it hits them.

Up Special - Mock Matter: Gooey transforms into his Dark Matter form, which allows him to hover by pressing up, though he loses one of his yellow “orbs” every 2 seconds which causes him to slightly lose altitude, and once he loses all of them (He has 8) he will enter helpless state. He can also fire Dark Lasers in midair, but it causes him to lose an orb.

Down Special - Needle Gooey: Gooey grows spikes that damage enemies, give him super armor and let him attach himself to walls. The only downside of this attack is that Gooey cannot move while he’s in this form, though he can end it by simply pressing the B button.

Final Smash - Friend Circle: A big sack appears and opens, revealing Nago, ChuChu and Pitch, the animal friends from Kirby’s Dream Land 3. They form a ring along with Gooey and start rolling, damaging everything in their paths. Unlike in Star Allies, you can turn around while using this attack, and you automatically do so when it reaches a ledge. Lasts about 15 seconds.

Up taunt: Gooey waves towards the screen with his tongue.

Side taunt: Gooey wiggles his tongue like a wave.

Down taunt: Gooey gets covered with snow and extends his tongue, then shakes it off himself.

Victory animation 1: Gooey performs his victory dance.

Victory animation 2: Gooey performs his short dance from Star Allies.

Victory animation 3: Gooey does this entire animation.

Victory theme: Hyper Zone 2 (18-23)

So there you have it - my moveset for Gooey. While it's mostly based off Star Allies and Dream Land 3, I added some of the mix copy abilities from Kirby 64 where I wasn't sure what to do because I thought it would be really cool and because some of them fit Gooey really well.
What do you guys think?
Now excuse me, I have to study for my test.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
pretty nice moveset, you given him the final smash i gave bandana dee for the moveset i made for him, so if i make a gooey myself he'll have friend train

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Zerp Zerp you can add my moveset to the OP if you want.
Done, it's up there now. I did remove the Gooey image since it's literally the first thing you see on the OP and I think it's a bit redundant to have the same image pop up twice, but if you want it back I can put it back in there.

D

Deleted member

Done, it's up there now.
Thanks! Feels good to contribute.
I did remove the Gooey image since it's literally the first thing you see on the OP and I think it's a bit redundant to have the same image pop up twice, but if you want it back I can put it back in there.
Nah it's all good. I don't care either way.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I love Gooey. I've lowkey wanted this goofy lad since the days of Brawl, and after having loads of fun with him in Star Allies, I can confidently say that he's now my most wanted Kirby newcomer. If Sakurbias gets in the way of Bandana Dee's inclusion for representing modern Kirby, then I can see Gooey being just obscure and weird enough to be chosen as the next most viable Kirby rep. We know Sakurai doesn't always like going with the most predictable option, after all. Sign me up!

Top Bottom