• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Stages for R.O.B.?

ArticulacyFTW

Smash Cadet
I have been thinking a lot about what stages R.O.B. should perform well in, but I haven't been able to come to any real conclusions.

I usually like to be on a stage with a decent amount of platforms, because that's when his U-smash really starts to shine. Otherwise it's pretty difficult to use. I love this especially in Luigi's Mansion, since R.O.B.'s rockets can penetrate what are otherwise impenetrable floors, and it can often take the opponent unawares. The platforms also allow for easier rising U-airs.

However, it also seems that the robot might like the less platform-y stages so that it's easier for him to projectile spam.

Similarly, the small/medium size stages seem like a decent fit because he has excellent range with many of his moves and could really dominate with his D-smashes, F-tilts, B-airs and N-airs. but I could also definitely see a preference for having a lot of space to maneuver, to allow for projectile play and a somewhat more defensive play style.

It seems that he would also do well on stages that depend a lot on being able to come back to the stage, with far away kill zones because of his ridiculous recovery and excellent edge guarding abilities. However, I seem to do pretty well with him on the walk off stages--I don't know if that's because of my personal play style, or through some aspect of the character.

What stages do you like R.O.B. in?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Well I know Overswarm counterpicked Luigi's Mansion in one of his matches. I'm pretty sure this was because the pillars don't block ROB's lasers, though they block just about every other projectile in the game. It didn't really work out though because the pillars also make G&W's turtle stick out like 4 times longer than normal.

Stages like Battlefield and Final Destination don't really seem to help or hurt ROB, from what I can tell, though I do feel more comfortable on FD, I guess because it's easier to see where the gyro's gonna go.

He should do better in stages with far off kill zones, since his off-the-edge game is second to none. I also think he excels at stages without grabbable edges, since he can easily defend himself when recovering, but the lack of a grabbable edge would put just about any other character at a disadvantage. That's why I think Port Town Aero Dive may be a great counterpick stage for ROB. (It doesn't have grabbable edges right? Or am I just getting this confused with Mute City?)

Anyway, thanks TC, we needed a topic like this for ROB.

Edit: On second thought, maybe the lack of grabble edges is a bad thing for ROB. A lot of OS's strategy revolves around camping the edge. I guess it depends on your style.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Whenever I play against characters with good horizontal recovery (Pit, MK, Jiggly, etc) I tend to choose stages with short horizontal KO walls, and tall vertical KO walls. This minimizes the effectiveness of their recovery, by KOing them before they can fully use it. It also benefits ROB because his recovery is both horizontal AND vertical. I prefer Delfino Plaza.

As far as general stages go, anything with platforms. Enables Rob to attack from below with his U-smash and quicker U-tilts more easily. Also makes neutral A more effective. Also good against Pit players b/c its hard to go at PIT from above.

Stages: Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium, Delfino, Battlefield, Luigi's Mansion, etc.

I tend to stay away from FD at times, depending on how the character plays. Not enough options for Rob to effectively maneuver away from projectile spammers.

MrPancakes

Smash Rookie
I'd say my favorite is Lylat Cruise. I haven't play enough on Battlefield but I would guess that it is better than FD. I don't really care about walk off stages since I don't usually play on them. Meh, maybe it is good for R.O.B. with gyros and fully charged lasers.

Top Bottom