• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good secondary to cover R.O.B.'s weaknesses?

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
Not sure if a thread for this exists already, if so, please link me to it!

Anyways, I'm looking for a good secondary to beat characters that can capitalize on ROB's main weaknesses like being juggled, bad landing options, etc.

I've found, at least in my own experience, Villager has a great Nair to get out of combos, and yet he is still a great zony character like ROB. I've also heard that Mario is a good character to cover ROB's weaknesses.

What do you guys use? Any suggestions?

Automater

Smash Rookie
NNID
Automater
Mario and Yoshi. Pretty much any rush down character. ROB really sucks at close combat against toons like mario

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
Mario and Yoshi. Pretty much any rush down character. ROB really sucks at close combat against toons like mario
Which would you recommend more? I really like projectile based characters, so can I still be zoney with Yoshi?

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
I decided to pick up Yoshi recently for the reasons you mentioned, and I have not been disappointed. ROB has a pretty unique feel, in my opinion, and Yoshi is the only (perceived high tier) character that gets anywhere close to that. Using eggs to zone isn't quite as easy as zoning with ROB, but it is effective. Yoshi's super quick Nair is the get-off-me move that ROB's air game is lacking. The biggest change is the grab game, which is a strength of ROB and weakness of Yoshi.

Normally, I'd also recommend Diddy. He has the stage control options with his specials as well a great grab game. But, you'll probably find his projectile game lacking; it's useful, but not central to his gameplan. Personally, I hate his recovery options.

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
I decided to pick up Yoshi recently for the reasons you mentioned, and I have not been disappointed. ROB has a pretty unique feel, in my opinion, and Yoshi is the only (perceived high tier) character that gets anywhere close to that. Using eggs to zone isn't quite as easy as zoning with ROB, but it is effective. Yoshi's super quick Nair is the get-off-me move that ROB's air game is lacking. The biggest change is the grab game, which is a strength of ROB and weakness of Yoshi.

Normally, I'd also recommend Diddy. He has the stage control options with his specials as well a great grab game. But, you'll probably find his projectile game lacking; it's useful, but not central to his gameplan. Personally, I hate his recovery options.
I see, that is some interesting info on Yoshi, I do love projectiles but I definitely like grabbing more. In that perspective maybe Mario might be better, he can zone a bit with fireballs and has the dthrow and utilt combo. I'll have to play around with both of them.

I can't play Diddy at all, his recovery is just so unreliable. How about a character like Greninja? He seems like he can be a rush down character but I'm not sure how useful his projectile is.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I have a pocket Wario for whenever I don't feel like dealing with Falcon. I'm not sure how well Wario works for a secondary, but he definitely helps with Falcon.

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
I have a pocket Wario for whenever I don't feel like dealing with Falcon. I'm not sure how well Wario works for a secondary, but he definitely helps with Falcon.
Wario is already one of my secondaries :)

Xeak

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeakSteels
I secondary Pit. Plays very similarly walling with aerials and doing throw combos but he is faster. Doesn't hit as hard and obviously lacks ROB's incredible camp game but if you're fighting someone like Sheik or Pika who will be incredibly evasive, then in your face and juggle you Pit is a better weight, still has a decent kill throw and good mix up options to keep people away.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
I quite like ZSS. She can cover our bad MU's against rushdown characters .

Razorninja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Razorninja
3DS FC
4098-2412-1493
Switch FC
2785-7286-3012
I've been picking up Pikachu lately and he really helps with covering some of ROB's weaknesses. His aerial and zoning prowess are similar but has a much more aggresive play style which ROB really lacks. Not to mention he has a smaller hitbox and has really good recovery.

Finferno00

Smash Rookie
NNID
Finferno00
I'd say either ness or zero suit are really good secondaries. Both have projectiles, while not being as useful as robs, it's still and option. They own the stuff rob can't do to.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I play sheik as well I find these two work spectacular in covering what each other lack.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Wouldn't Mega Man also be a good choice if you like zoney projectile characters? Even his jab is designed to keep people out, and he's a little more projectile oriented than R.O.B. Just has trouble killing. Either way, I think it'd be a good idea to try and pick him up.

Trisongs

Smash Apprentice
I find that megeman works wonders as a tag team partner for rob. Also you could say that these two robots are fighting to save the world.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I think it should be said that learning how to combat those characters as R.O.B is much more important than finding a secondary to deal with it. the knowledge you get from learning how to defeat ZSS, falcon, sheik, etc... will give you more information on how R.O.B is really played.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I picked up Rosalina recently. I think someone like ZSS or Sheik is a better character to pick up, but Rosalina's one of the best and some ROB fundamentals DO carry over. She's also really fun.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I recommend Sheik or Zss as stellar secondaries for R.O.B I personally play sheik and find that these 2 give me a well rounded match up against almost the whole cast aside from maybe like Yoshi who is just plain annoying for both. I play some zss in friendlies and she looks great too and can fight Rosa better then sheik imo.

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I am currently picking up Mario but I'm starting to lean towards learning Rosalina, Pikachu or Sheik.

I think it should be said that learning how to combat those characters as R.O.B is much more important than finding a secondary to deal with it. the knowledge you get from learning how to defeat ZSS, falcon, sheik, etc... will give you more information on how R.O.B is really played.
You are totally right, I am currently working on my ROB game to become better in bad match-ups.

Top Bottom