• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good secondaries?

EonBlitz

Smash Rookie
NNID
arrudafam
3DS FC
1951-0234-0103
Just a thread for posting who you may find are good secondary characters or co-mains for you Dark Pit mains out there. I'm curious as I'm trying to look for a secondary/co-main which does just that. What are your thoughts? Perhaps this will allow us to understand this characters match-up advantages and disadvantages against certain characters!

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
i use darkpit/mario equally. both are agressive, dp is better on the ground and mario is better in the air. i pick my character considering my opponent.

Last edited:

EonBlitz

Smash Rookie
NNID
arrudafam
3DS FC
1951-0234-0103
They play similarly, but puff's aerials are stronger, but she lacks the specials of dark pit. Puff is very combo proof this game with her light weight, so it's nice against characters like sheik.
Not bad I may try her out! Thanks for the input!

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
So, what would you say are a couple good secondaries that I can pick up to cover Pit's bad matchups? Ideally something that also wouldn't require learning a drastically different play style but if that's what it takes to cover Pit's weaknesses I'd be down for it.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Dark Pit. ;P

Okay, snarky commentary aside, it's a bit tricky if you want to cover his poor matchups whilst retaining an innate sense of familiarity with the playstyle. I'd recommend doing something totally new. That way you'll definitely be able to do things Pit can't and cover your bases with any opponent regardless of whom they play and how they play it.

Anywho, I play the following characters as well as Pit. Maybe one of them will appeal to you?

:4palutena: - Fantastic read-punish fighter. Defensive with slow smashes, but great spacing tools and immense KO power. Difficult to get to grips with, you'll probably want to give her some time to truly get good with her. Satisfying to use and can tackle even the toughest of foes with her complex, varied playstyle.

:4lucina: - No ranged moves, but excels at mid-close range. Good at spacing and playing footsies, can aggro campers with her blade's length. Lack of tipper makes her more consistent than Marth. Not necessarily a poor man's Marth, as some may consider her, but rather a different kind of playstyle that's good against varied opponents and a more balanced playstyle of offense and defense.

:4robinf: - Projectile fighter with good zoning and long-range tools. Can strike from afar with various forms of Thunder, which can link into different combos and setups. Arcfire is good for stage control and nullifying projectiles. Incredibly slow and cumbersome, but her sword packs a wallop and is good for KO power and aerial defense.

:4rob: - Defensive zoner with a varied toolset. Can keep opponent at bay with lasers and gyros, has some incredibly powerful smashes with good KO power. Slow and floaty, plus a big target, best used tactfully and smartly. Can pressure opponents like crazy, though, and can rack up damage and bait for an easy kill.

:4ludwig: - Like R.O.B., a large target with good zoning options and smashes. A bit more aggressive and fierce, he can cover ground easily with his side-b and his aerials are pretty powerful. Can pressure with neutral-b and down-b, up-b is also good for setups. Requires commitment and dedication to play, but has some good skills and can play a good stage of racking up damage and baiting for an easy kill.

Otherwise you could go for something totally different and opt for a rushdown aggro fighter, such as :4falcon: or :4yoshi:, possibly even a heavy tank like :4bowser: or :4ganondorf: if that's what you're into. At the end of the day, it's your call, so play around and see who works best for you and how you can do well with them. If you want any more advice or suggestions, you know where to find me. Good luck with your search!

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
Good schtuff
Thanks! Actually I've tried Robin and ROB, and I've found both to be at least somewhat agreeable. I think I will start with them, then maybe move onto Palutena. I've dabbled in her a bit and couldn't make it work back then, but I'd love to be able to pull it off. Thanks for all the recommendations!

IzunaDroppuh

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfamouzShadow
3DS FC
2852-8054-4919
If you don't want to play completely different then I'd say play link. He is very similar to Pit in style but the difference in range speed and predictability changes certain matchups.

My secondary is Wario and his unusual style strongly covers the few problems I have such as zero suit, Rosaluma, falcon, and sometimes yoshi

Last edited:

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
If you don't want to play completely different then I'd say play link. He is very similar to Pit in style but the difference in range speed and predictability changes certain matchups.

My secondary is Wario and his unusual style strongly covers the few problems I have such as zero suit, Rosaluma, falcon, and sometimes yoshi
Looks like I have quite a few characters to try out! Quick question - how would you recommend I go about this? I.e., say I want to try Robin, ROB, Palutena, Link, and Wario to see what's the best secondary for me. Should I just go into training mode for each one, and then to FG/AL?

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
I was thinking that I want a secondary main. But I want a character that is complete rush down and is your face type of character. Also has a lot of combo potential xD. If any of you have played injustice gods among us, then im looking for a character that plays like the flash(the best character IMO lol). So got any recommendations?

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
I was thinking that I want a secondary main. But I want a character that is complete rush down and is your face type of character. Also has a lot of combo potential xD. If any of you have played injustice gods among us, then im looking for a character that plays like the flash(the best character IMO lol). So got any recommendations?
Captain Falcon fits that description best, I'd say. Never played Injustice Gods Among Us, but if the character plays like his name sounds then it should fit haha. Cap is one of the fastest characters in the game, and if you can hit a knee you will be smiling the entire rest of the day.

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
Lol that was just the character I was thinking of. But I was also thinking of marth/Lucina. I was watching zero playing Lucina and he had some crazy combo game with her. She is also a spacing type character like pit and they are both pretty good at edge guarding. I just love combo characters and I also love the fire emblem awakening so that moves them up the list.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Depends on what your playstyle is. If your a defensive/patient player that likes to bait and punish, then you should go with an all-out attacker, like :4shulk:/:4miibrawl:/:4greninja:, etc. That way, you can switch up your playstyle in a match against your opponent, just when they got adjusted to your defensive style, you can now change it to an all out aggressive playstyle. The thing about having a secondary is your going to wind up focusing on two characters, which can be a good and bad thing at the same time. By focusing on one character, you'll be so good with your primary that will be able to learn the ins and outs of your character. If you were to focus on two characters at the same time, you won't learn everything about your characters, and you'll start to neglect on some of the moves that your character can do, in comparison to learning everything about one character. It's kind of silly to main two characters that pretty much do the same thing, in terms of playstyle.

EonBlitz

Smash Rookie
NNID
arrudafam
3DS FC
1951-0234-0103
i honestly think Pit is a very good co-main. works very well for me :)
yah when ppl play dark pit, pit is kind of an obvious co-main since they play very similarly. Like i play both of them depending on the character matchup. But there are some characters they suck against so its good to have options available with other characters. :] Ive settled on other mains now along with Dark Pit/Pit but yah!

AdventCross

Smash Rookie
Currently, I'm picking up Shulk for versatility and my fondness of large range aerials, but I haven't done enough research into the match-ups just yet to see how he fairs.

Treveen

Smash Cadet
yah when ppl play dark pit, pit is kind of an obvious co-main since they play very similarly. Like i play both of them depending on the character matchup. But there are some characters they suck against so its good to have options available with other characters. :] Ive settled on other mains now along with Dark Pit/Pit but yah!
who do they suck against? :O

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
I really haven't really been hunting of figuring out what might be a good co-main for Dark Pit, though that's personally just me messing with every character in the game. Though personally if I was going to main Dark Pit throughout an entirety of a tournament I'd probably go with someone with a lot more space options like maybe Marth, Duck Hunt or R.O.B. or maybe someone who can still get KO's at the center of the stage in which case Fox, Lucario and maybe even Diddy if your not so anti against him.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I use diddy secondary. Covers my issue with Rosalina and teaches me about how diddy works for the sake of the pit v diddy matchup

AmericanSaikyo

Smash Rookie
Play as ROB. In between doing uptilts singing raise the roof and narrating all your up throws like Randy Orton RKOs, you'll cover all your bad matchups and then some.

Deloth

Smash Rookie
I've had exceptionally good luck using :4ganondorf: as a secondary to :4pit:

It just seems to really throw people off when you swap to someone like Ganon and take your first stock from them at 50%

Otsillac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gobbledy-gooker
I've been having the same issue. Right now I'm playing :4pacman: as a secondary, and it works pretty well, other then both of them having trouble against RosaLuma (Pac moreso).

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I can agree with the above poster. While I alternate between Pit and Palutena, depending on whom I think works best at the time, I usually go to Ganondorf as a solid sub.

Sometimes the sheer difference between the two styles can surprise your opponent and briefly offer you a psychological advantage, which can often be more than enough to win~ :3

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
I was actually considering going Pit / Mega Man / Sonic to have three different characters to cover my bases (balanced / zoning / rushdown) Do any of you think I still run into any common weaknesses?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I"m looking for a second to deal with rush down type characters. I can't seem to deal with the Little Macs, Captain Falcons, and Foxes of the world. Any advice?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, Pit doesn't exactly have many bad matchups to begin with. There's Lucario, Rosalina I think, and I know I'm not the only one who has troubles with Dorf. Dunno, maybe DDD... That's really all I can think of. Somebody who's good at scoring KOs and can deal with Rosalina would be ideal as far as matchups go.

billpika

Smash Rookie
NNID
billpika
I always have tons of trouble with DeDeDe. I think that Falco or Luigi might be good secondaries for me... especially the latter given his ability to possibly get anywhere from 40-60% on D3 with a single grab. It might be a purely matchup thing. I get 2-stocked all the time as Pit while playing against D3, but when switching to Luigi, it's always close.

OR maybe I just suck at this game and should crawl back to Melee.

EmpoleonArrow

Smash Rookie
Dedede is not a good matchup, he is practically imposible to gimp. I really like having Fox as a secondary

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Yeah, Dedede wrecks Pit. I still don't know who to practice with as a second. I'm having trouble with rush down and a few matches, mostly with heavyweights because they can kill Pit so early and Pit can't kill them until much later than usual. I'm guessing a heavyweight of my own might be able to fight toe-to-toe with one?

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Yeah, I'm also on the "Screw the DDD MU" train. It's not uncommon to get kills until nearly 200% since he's so fat, along with 5 jumps and an UpB with armor (the armor does wear off for a second at the apex of the jump, though). That, combined with his Gordos being hard for us to knock back at times (Jab is too weak, Fair and Nair are weak multi-hits, Ftilts a bit slow). I usually go Fox and combo him to death, which works pretty well as long as I don't get stupid and run into a Smash attack and die at like 50%. I think pretty much every other Pocket I have can handle him pretty well if not better than Pit or Fox.

I personally prefer secondaries and pockets that have vastly different playstyles to cover my annoying matchups. I have Fox as a secondary, along with Megaman, Charizard, and Shulk as pockets. (Marth is for funsies and conditioning, ZSS, Villager, and Wario are all grinding in the hyperbolic time chamber).

Pit = Punish/Spacing/Rushdown/Zoning (All-Around)
Fox = Rushdown
Megaman = Spacing/Zoning
Charizard = Punishing/Spacing
Shulk = Spacing/Rushdown

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I'm thinking about Wario too. Great recovery and a command grab means if played right he can't just shield grab all day. Plus he's sort of heavy and has the Waft. I'm seriously considering him.

waddicto

Smash Rookie
NNID
waddicto
I like Palutena and Ike as my secondaries. That way you never know what to expect out of me. My Pit is super aggressive, and it confuses people when my super aggressive Pit suddenly switches to this super defensive read based Ike. And I like Palutena because she's similar to Pit in playstyle. Both have good aerials, good dthrow comboes, and both have great dash attacks so I can seamlessly switch between the two if I so please it.

Elblacko280

Smash Rookie
NNID
DAASOMEKID
3DS FC
2680-9767-6129
My secondaries are:4wiifit::4peach::4zss::4sheik::4gaw:
you should try these out if you aren't satisfied with the secondaries recommended .

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
I have been trying to decide on a secondary for a long time. I really want to play ZSS, but I still have a way to go before I'm happy with my control of her. I have a good Mii Brawler, but the main local I go to doesn't allow Miis. I also have experience with Falco, Zelda, Mario, Sheik, Dr. Mario, and Greninja. Those characters aren't really tournament ready though. Still need more reps to learn mixups and refine tech.

Now there are three new good characters to think about. I still think I want to go ZSS, but she seems so intimidating to learn. Does anyone else use ZSS as a main with Pit? Do the two have good synergy against the top/high tier characters?

Top Bottom