• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good secondaries?

MKchouy

Smash Cadet
^ Well Nairo mains ZSS and the pit duos so I would assume they do well together. They both move completely different which can really throw off your opponent.

Personally I main the pit duos along with a strong secondary ganon like lots of other people have been saying. I think pit/DPit would also go really well with Sheik (who doesn't) or Ness. Even Rosalina but she's stupid so don't play her.

Other fun secondaries I have are villager, Palutena, Megaman and even meta knight. Any of these work well with Pit

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Other than Dark Pit, I suggest another character you enjoy playing as! If you want an answer from me though, I'd say :4lucario:! I play him similarly, but if you want someone who covers the bad MU's, go for top tier!

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
I have been trying to decide on a secondary for a long time. I really want to play ZSS, but I still have a way to go before I'm happy with my control of her. I have a good Mii Brawler, but the main local I go to doesn't allow Miis. I also have experience with Falco, Zelda, Mario, Sheik, Dr. Mario, and Greninja. Those characters aren't really tournament ready though. Still need more reps to learn mixups and refine tech.

Now there are three new good characters to think about. I still think I want to go ZSS, but she seems so intimidating to learn. Does anyone else use ZSS as a main with Pit? Do the two have good synergy against the top/high tier characters?
I've actually decided to use Little Mac as my secondary. He is a lot like the Pits in terms of how easy he is to get started with. Wish me luck.

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
Bum****, FL (Heart forever in Massachusetts)
NNID
Dante_Galileo
inb4 Dark Pit (and he helps against :rosalina: and the annoying Luma)

I'm having a hard time against :4sheik:, :4lucario:, :4dedede:, and :4luigi:. I know the second and third are supposed to be horrible MUs, and the first is well first, but losing to Weegee is... ugh (Mario4lyfe).

If someone who's more experienced could answer, I am asking who would be a good secondary character do deal with those four, possibly a tertiary if needed.

Ah, but here's the rub for me. I find that I can't bring myself to use a character unless I've actually played and cleared at least one of their games. So this leaves... :4bowser:, :4bowserjr:, :4charizard:, :4dedede:, :4falco:, :4fox:, :4greninja:, :4myfriends:, :4jigglypuff:, :4kirby:, :4lucario:, :4lucina:, :4luigi:, :4mario:, :4metaknight:, :4mewtwo:, :4palutena:, :4pikachu:. :4robinm:. :4feroy:. :4wario:. and :4yoshi:, and I know some of them aren't really tournament-viable without secondaries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(Sorry if I seem so needy)

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Doesn't really seem like there's a concensus here. I use Lucas as my secondary. Throws people off pretty well and I play much differently with Lucas. It's late at night and I can't really think off the top of my head what Lucas does specifically that improves upon Pit but I like the differences.

Thought about using Roy. He's pretty much the opposite of Pit but plays similarly. Relies heavile on grabs but doesn't rely on them as his primary way of racking up damage and getting kills. Actually, his grabs are great combo starters which isn't necessarily the case with Pit and Dark Pit. after a while. Has some pretty good and reliable kill smashes, which again is't really much like Pit, and has terrible recovery, a stark contrast to Pit!

I thought Roy's strengths would counteract Pit's strengths greatly but I never really got into him. But I would recommend Roy definitely as a good secondary. If you're looking to play the same way but with more kill power.

Last edited:

AmericanSaikyo

Smash Rookie
I've been loving Roy as a secondary since he came out as well. Good range like Pit but much better rushdown capability and an easier time killing. After Evo he'll definitely be in my pocket.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Roy? Ehhhhhh. He does a good job of being basically as opposite of Pit as you can while still having a sword, but he's kinda terrible too. Matchup wise, only character I can think of that he handles better then Pit is Lucario. DDD eats him alive, and the top tiers destroy him.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Wort MUs are :4lucario:and :4dedede: eh? In that case I'd recommend :
:4pacman:
:4megaman: (who practically wrecks D3, 70:30 at worst for Mega Man)
:4littlemac:
:4sonic:

Kinda surprised this character has difficulty with D3 of all characters though, considering how flawed a character he is in general.

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dante_Galileo
Do you guys think :4lucario: would be a good secondary? How does he fare against :4dedede:? If nothing else, hey, there's at least the mirror matchup against other :4lucario:.

Also, I know that this is probably just my personal experience, but whenever I run into :4dedede: online, I like to use the arrows to knock back the Gordos. It at least gets them out of the way.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Totally :4lucina:,:4marth::4zss:,:4ness: or :4villager:
:4marth::4lucina: (especially Lucina) aren't great characters, I'd be surprised to see them backup anybody at all. Not seeing what would make them a good them a good secondary when they would lose to the same chars as Pit + more. I can tell you main them, but from a competitive standpoint, its not a good idea to have Marth or Lucina as a secondary.

The other 3, I agree with.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
:4marth::4lucina: (especially Lucina) aren't great characters, I'd be surprised to see them backup anybody at all. Not seeing what would make them a good them a good secondary when they would lose to the same chars as Pit + more. I can tell you main them, but from a competitive standpoint, its not a good idea to have Marth or Lucina as a secondary.

The other 3, I agree with.
Aren't great characters? they are totally great for having as a secondary.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Aren't great characters? they are totally great for having as a secondary.
This is only true if you don't intend to play competitively.

• Their recovery is subpar and is a little easy to gimp
  • Mediocre grab range and low grab reward (very little combo and kill potential from any of their throws)
  • Limited combos and underwhelming offensive pressure
  • Poor frame data, many of their moves take too long to end and are very unsafe on shield
  • (exclusive to Lucina, since she doesn't have the tipper) Nearly every kill move is highly situational and/or easily punishable
For most people, the point of a secondary is to cover your main's weaknesses and deal with any matchups he/she can't win. The The general consensus is that these two characters are mediocre and are generally low tier or mid-low tier, and they kind of have difficulties dealing with a lot of characters. For example: I main :4megaman: and I used to have Lucina as a backup myself, and if I continued to use her as a backup it probably wouldn't take me very far in my tournament career. Mega Man and Lucina both have similar weaknesses in that they both have trouble killing & racking up damage, laggy frame data with slow attacks, and are heavily reliant on mid-range spacing as they do not perform well in close quarters combat. If I brought them both with me to a tournament; running into someone who plays Fox, Greninja, Captain Falcon, or Pac-Man in bracket could give me a rough time and potentially end my tournament run as they arguably both lose to these same characters (I say arguably since I am not yet convinced Mega loses to these fighters, besides Falcon). However, Mega Man has more tools to deal with other characters that make him a better character: A stronger zoning game with his lemons, a superior recovery, can actually threaten shields (many of Lucy's moves are unsafe on block and she has terrible throws, Mega Man at least has a better grab game and can pressure shields well with saw blades and crash bombers), and has better anti-camp tools against other zoning characters. There aren't many matchups she does better in besides maybe Kirby & Jigglypuff and while I like Lucina, the character has too many flaws to be a dependable secondary and I don't think these two characters compliment each other well at all. If my secondary was someone else that doesn't suffer most of these issues like Mario, Sonic, or Rosalina I'd stand a better chance against said characters in bracket.

That said, I can't really imagine her or Marth being a good secondary for :4pit: either: They come as being swordsmen characters too but have even more endlag on most of their moves, an inferior combo game and are rewarded less from grabs, and aren't as good at recovering. Besides maybe :4dedede:, what matchups do they win that Pit doesn't?

They do get a pretty good boost from custom moves though, Crescent Slash, Iai Counter, and Dashing Assault help quite a bit.

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dante_Galileo
Would :4fox: be a good secondary? He seems fast enough to better keep up with Sheik and ZSS, and to better overwhelm Lucario and D3 with combos. Admittedly I only really use him for Trophy Rush right now, but he was my main in 64.

(Again, I can't bring myself to use and LIKE using a character unless I've played at least one game of their's start to finish, mine was Star Fox 64)

PhobiaBB

Smash Rookie
NNID
PhobiaYT
3DS FC
1590-5500-1317
Just commenting here to see if the opinion has changed on this. I don't see any definite answer on this thread.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just commenting here to see if the opinion has changed on this. I don't see any definite answer on this thread.
Well there's no definitive "best" secondary for Pit because Pit doesn't have any fatal weaknesses that a seconday can cover, nor does he have any unwinnable matchups that he needs a counterpick for.

At best I'd say you can do what I do and have a pocket or two for certain matchups that you personally have difficulty with. I have a Palutena (that I don't use in tournaments because she's not good competitively) and a Robin (chiefly because I know a guy that dislikes the matchup and I want to exploit that). It's really just a case of picking whomever you think compliments your own playstyle.

Last edited:

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Depends a lot on who the player is and what character they are using. With myself personally, I pick characters based on the fact that I like them, whether they are good or not. I'll admit there are times when I don't feel comfortable going in with Pit before the tourney began for whatever reason, so I would either go all Charizard, or all Mii Swordfighter for the remainder of that tournament. Charizard has an easier time getting in on characters that can spam projectiles, catch their rolling habits, such and such. Mii Swordfighter I use because I get a kick out of using Miis of real people from my family I can use at a tournament.

Go with who you have the most fun with. No secondary can cover every matchup. Even if you did have Sheik as a secondary, she is not always going to carry you through all the way because you haven't been able to lab out everything she can do as a character.

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
I like Lucas. He can hold his own against a majority of the top-tiers like Rosalina and Sonic and he does better against heavies and DDD. But I may be biased because I main Lucas but he's a very solid pick in my opinion.

Top Bottom