• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good approach options and become less readable?

Woods

Smash Rookie
NNID
WoodyN
3DS FC
5112-4110-2215
Hi Yoshi pros haven't used my account for a while but any good approach options? I use UpB and im usually get a hit most of the time but im having trouble with his Bair and usually go over the opponent. Should i just drop it and become less readable? I know you would ask for a video on how i play but i don't know how to upload it from a 3DS .-. Also i feel like Yoshi's roll is just easy to read and i get punished 90% of the time (I dont Spam it). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Sadly, Bair approach doesn't seem to a thing anymore. It's weird, it's so hard to hit grounded opponents now with it and I don't know why.
Fox trotting dash attacks are good as long as you dont spam it.
Fair and sometimes fast falled Nair can be good if you're careful,depending on who they are. Short hop egg throws are probably still our safest option at this point.

stoik

Smash Rookie
Yeah I've found that a good egg toss is the safest way to approach right now. Fair is a little too slow to start up at times and Nair doesn't have much range so we don't have many options.

A short hopped Dair can get an opponent locked in for a bunch of solid hits if you can find a window of safety to use it in.

Woods

Smash Rookie
NNID
WoodyN
3DS FC
5112-4110-2215
Sadly, Bair approach doesn't seem to a thing anymore. It's weird, it's so hard to hit grounded opponents now with it and I don't know why.
Fair and sometimes fast falled Nair can be good if you're careful,depending on who they are. Short hop egg throws are probably still our safest option at this point.
Cant wait till more info is on it :D Hopefully i can help with something if needed
About your yoshi guide i mean

Last edited:

Woods

Smash Rookie
NNID
WoodyN
3DS FC
5112-4110-2215
Yeah I've found that a good egg toss is the safest way to approach right now. Fair is a little too slow to start up at times and Nair doesn't have much range so we don't have many options.

A short hopped Dair can get an opponent locked in for a bunch of solid hits if you can find a window of safety to use it in.
Ive gotten it a couple of times and boy does it feel good :chuckle:

Svenshinhan

Smash Cadet
It might just be because I was facing some bad players in FG, but I was able to use b-air as an approach option on a few characters, particularly if I was already within jumping distance. It's fairly easy to still move back to be out of punish range if you time it right.

N-air also comes out really quick (but doesn't have much range). Yoshi has an absolutely stellar dash attack now, though, so I usually feel safe using that and mixing it up with the occasional dash grab. And as said, d-air can work sometimes. They have to be careful about shielding if they've already blocked an attack or two. I've broken shields with it a few times (or if they don't shield they take a ton of damage). But I've also gotten punished quite badly for missing it (or being fully shielded) and getting hit with an f-smash afterwards.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
You forgot one important tool: Short-hop d-air. It truly is a blessing in disguise. Landing it just right literally guarantees offensive pressure and damage. I officially love that move.

Seeing how it degrades shields so much, but keeps on kicking, they'll eventually get punished for blocking it. You can also move so aggressively in your initial jump arc that if you miss, you'll wound up away from them on the other side anyway.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi can jump Oos now, why in the world are you still rolling?

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
You forgot one important tool: Short-hop d-air. It truly is a blessing in disguise. Landing it just right literally guarantees offensive pressure and damage. I officially love that move.

Seeing how it degrades shields so much, but keeps on kicking, they'll eventually get punished for blocking it. You can also move so aggressively in your initial jump arc that if you miss, you'll wound up away from them on the other side anyway.
I mean its good shield pressure but its beyond easy to swat away. It'll get worse when the wii u version comes out.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I mean its good shield pressure but its beyond easy to swat away. It'll get worse when the wii u version comes out.
Beyond easy if you spam it. Use it like you understand that you're a human with a brain fighting a human with a brain, and it'll pay off.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
IF the SH+Dair option was used nearby either end of the stage then DI'ing toward off-stage makes it safe. Nothing wrong with doing tons of shield damage & being safe about it.

jeck95

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3840-5508-5042
My normal approaches from the air are usually egg toss to neutral b or follow up nair. Fair needs good spacing to not get shield grabbed and bair doesn't auto cancel so you have to be careful with bair. On the ground, I either approach with a shield then out of shield nair, grab, dash attack, or run past pivot ftilt. Dair and Bair can be good as long as you full hop it. Any approach options depends on the opponent's playstyle, character, and patterns.

shapular

Smash Ace
I've been using fair to jab and nair to jab a lot. Bair does enough shieldstun to be pretty safe if you space it well. SH dair is good if you can land it (does enough shield damage to poke most of the time), but it's a bit risky since it doesn't have much range. Cross-up dash attack is usually safe, but if you're sure you can hit with it you can do it right at them. I think if you could master perfect pivoting, dtilt might be good.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Beyond easy if you spam it. Use it like you understand that you're a human with a brain fighting a human with a brain, and it'll pay off.
Uh huh....
SH dair loses to just about any decent anti air, and loses in most Air to Air situations. You don't really have to be spamming it for them to catch on or react. But like i said its good shield pressure. If someones shield/spotdodge happy you can get away with it as a hard mixup.

Like its not bad its just not safe, and OP sounds like he's looking for safe options.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I usually approach with two eggs. If you angle them right you should cover any ground approaches and one angle of an aerial approach. Or instead of approaching, i just jump forward but use Yoshi's insane horizontal mobility to move back if I don't see an opening. Other times I actually FULL hop dair fast falled, because they do not expect it from way up there and because it lasts so long it will still hit them, so opponents are not used to that from a full hopped aerial. If they are shield happy i approach with dashing grab, but 'ill mix up with dashing at them into short hop nair to jab to keep them guessing.

I get punished almost every time i try to approach with bair. The last hits seem to have worse range than the initial hit?

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Uh huh....
SH dair loses to just about any decent anti air, and loses in most Air to Air situations. You don't really have to be spamming it for them to catch on or react. But like i said its good shield pressure. If someones shield/spotdodge happy you can get away with it as a hard mixup.

Like its not bad its just not safe, and OP sounds like he's looking for safe options.
That's just having your cake and eating it too. Also, you're still understating the move.

Against :rosalina:, it's practically the option that's given me the greatest advantage in the match up, seeing how other options get beat out by her insane hit-boxes just as much as this one would. Dodge the luma and then put tons of damage/pressure on her with d-air. It's not something to crutch or over-rely on, but it can give you a big advantage in a match when you get 15-30 damage out of nowhere in such a short time frame, and as a bonus, it's not something someone can easily shield grab if they try to go for that. The main issue is if this person, who's already deciding on dodging/blocking, is somehow fast enough to throw out a blatant AA option, which isn't as easy as you make it seem due to the pace of this game.

Just don't be an idiot about it.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Yoshi's Dash is very good in general, it's fast, low profile, and he gets a lot of options out of it. Dash attack vs Dash Grab is a classic mixup, and both Yoshi's Dash attack and Dash Grab are good so it's threatening enough to force the opponent to guess. Run up UpSmash is dangerous and should only be used to punish unsafe landings IMO. Run up Shield is also super good in this game. Obviously, shield grab or spot dodge is an option if the opponent does an attack, but even if not, you can just instantly shield drop into Ftilt, Dtilt, FSmash, or DSmash. Shield Drop DownB is a kill move if they hit your shield with something laggy. He has good aerials to use out of a dash too, depending on what the opponent does. Dair eats spot dodge and can be safe on shield against some characters. Nair is solid if the opponent tries to challenge with their own aerial. RAR Bair is a good aerial chasedown if they try to escape the situation. Jump back Egg is available as a fakeout or if you think they're going to challenge with something scary.

Overall, the key is to mix it up until the opponent exposes a tendency, then try to go to the option that beats what you expect them to do. Yoshi has tons of options so you should try not to become predictable.

Last edited:

Blackyoshika?

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2653-2476
The egg roll is underestimated and stopping early and grabbing is really effective against counter attackers like Lucian Mac and lucario even Marth. Rolling rolling rolling.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush

A way to counter Lucian finally.

Anyways DA is really good and Dair does a lot of shield pressure and punishes even if they shield most of it and get hit by only one or two hits of it since it still pops them in the air.

He doesn't main Yoshi of course but Zero makes a good few points mostly just the mechanics of the game his moves and mobility. Also 5:40 random but if we were to attempt three fairs in that fashion in brawl (short hop fair double jump and two more Fairs) we prolly would've died cause of how long our fair takes on start up and the end of it as well.

Blackyoshika?

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2653-2476
Roll on ganandorf all day he's just to slow to deal with it. I've played hella fights against him online and I've just been ripping on him recently

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Roll on ganandorf all day he's just to slow to deal with it. I've played hella fights against him online and I've just been ripping on him recently
Honestly, if I'm playing Ganon and a Yoshi starts to roll the entire match, I'd just grab him all the time punishing his rolls.

You're playing against bad ganons.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Honestly, if I'm playing Ganon and a Yoshi starts to roll the entire match, I'd just grab him all the time punishing his rolls.

You're playing against bad ganons.
Wiz Kick and his dash grab punish rolls just like Raptor Boost does. Why did he say that?

Jahordon

Smash Journeyman
Am I doing something wrong with short-hopped egg toss? I can't seem to get the eggs to go low enough when I short hop (I'm definitely not full-jumping, either). I almost need to do grounded tosses to make them connect.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Am I doing something wrong with short-hopped egg toss? I can't seem to get the eggs to go low enough when I short hop (I'm definitely not full-jumping, either). I almost need to do grounded tosses to make them connect.
Hold down forward as soon as he begins to throw the egg.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Found out a great approach option is short hop air dodge to nair. No lag and you can use the air dodge to avoid projectiles or any attacks. Safe approach!

Last edited:

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
My standard approaches.

SH- Double Egg -> dash attack/grab
BAIR
Fair-> D-Tilt
SH Airdodge, cancel it with a nair, and then jabs
Run in, dash dance, and punish any response

Basically play him like fox in melee.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys

The SH Dair is a great move to pressure their shields with as long as you're not reckless with it.

Much like it did in Brawl, the Dair will autocancel from the peak of your full hop, When the last kick sends them upwards (more-so at low percents) You can follow up with a Uair strings since it pops them up vertically. At higher percents, you can chase the knockback from the move with a Fair and assuming you get the spike effect as well as the bounce off the ground...you'll be able to do it again, or another aerial of your choosing.

Some things are subject to change when DI (presumably) returns on the Wii U, but still somethings to try out to warm up those fingers.

Also, both Yoshi's and Fox's dair functions almost literally the same way; they both autocancel from a full hop and the last kick of each sends them upwards too. Allowing for further follow ups

Last edited:

Festive

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshwa
3DS FC
0963-1631-8800
I'm not sure if anyone else has already mentioned this or if it's a given but..you can use Yoshi's up b before his jump if you're quick about it. I know this sounds sort of silly but I think it can be a great stalling technique or a way to throw your opponent off (because they may think you don't have a jump left). I mean I really think this can be useful in the right situations. Just thought I'd throw that out there for the less readable part.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ Festive Festive If you mean before his DJ, that only kind of applies for those who don't play with Tap Jump off. Most of us don't use Tap Jump anyways, so there's no real way to trick people like that.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Mixing up short hop+full jump egg tosses make it a lot easier and safer for Yoshi to approach. I find Bair more difficult than Brawl to use against grounded opponents. His Fair/Nair can be used aggressively if spaced properly so as to not get shield grabbed. I also actually like egg roll, use it in the middle of an opponents animation, get a hit, and get out.

@ Festive Festive , like Delta-cod said, the graphic for his DJ is quite noticeable so I'm not sure if they'd be tricked by it. You are heading in the right direction though, saving your DJ by using his UpB first to recover works well to ensure you get back to the stage safely.

Top Bottom