• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good 2v2 team with items? (new here, dunno if this is the right place to put this D=)

Arkio

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this is the wrong spot, not new to the game but I don't post here much so I don't know a lot of the rules =/

In the sunny Floridian area there is going to be a 2v2 brawl (not brawl+) tournament with 2 DSi's as the first place prize.

The rule set is crappy IMO but it's free (it's a new comic store so they are trying to draw in business) and if anything fun: all items on (high or medium, not decided yet), 2v2 teams friendly fire off, smashville hyrule final des and like 2 other courses that are undecided are legal

I had a good partner but he canceled so now I am stuck with my sister and she doesn't play the game much, just wanted to know if anyone had advice for a good team. I can play almost anyone and I have tons of free time to practice, but she gets pretty busy and I was wondering if anyone knew a simple character that is good with items. She will obviously still have time to test, but won't be able to master anyone complex plus she isn't really get super like me and my brother (who has a different partner) so she has to set aside time for learning how to DI, what the items do, and how to mix up her move set to not be predictable/get stale moves etc. I can play any character she would need to compliment her, however I would like to know which ones i should use.

Right now her 2 favorite characters are peach and pikachu, if that helps at all.

ALL help would be appreciated, thanks!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
With items on, FF off, and crappy stages?

Oh boy....

Pick Ike, learn how to DACIT, and abuse the items you have to throw (meaning that it won't work with beam sword but would with a bomb for example). Ike sliding around using Usmash/Fsmash with FF off + partner grabbing opponents= lol GG. Also works with Wolf, Link, and MK, but I believe it works best with Ike. And he has more dangerous smashes to use with it.

If your sister can float cancel well, Peach. If not, might as well just let her spam away with Pikachu. >_>

Arkio

Smash Cadet
^ haha yeah, I was considering Ike

Yeah she has no idea what float canceling is but I'll see if i can teach her (sleepy final smash+based Ike's fsmash on a course like smashville=LOL) Right now she is a very predictable, very spammy (kind the same thing as predicatble), and is very bad at recovering with pikachu so i will try to teach her to be better with peach and pikachu

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Dash Attack Canceled Item Toss.

Do you know how to preform Snake's sliding up smash? Do the exact same thing, but with Ike and while holding a throwable item.

Or use the search function on the site.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Use Mk yourself ( you know why right? ) and make your sister play d3 ( or pika, it doesn't matter..) Teach her how to do their cg's.have her Cg one while you overwhelm the other with MK awsomeness. ( and make sure that he doesn't disrupt the Cg or get any items. Tell your sister not to go for any items, ev en smash balls. Smash balls are to n00bs as marijuan is to drugies. :) Or just do the DACIT thing, but I think it's easier if your sister was doing something too.

Arkio

Smash Cadet

Do you know how to preform Snake's sliding up smash? Do the exact same thing, but with Ike and while holding a throwable item.

Who doesn't know how to mortar slide? =P

Thanks for clearing that up, I am HORRIBLE with these acronyms

Use Mk yourself ( you know why right? ) and make your sister play d3 ( or pika, it doesn't matter..) Teach her how to do their cg's.have her Cg one while you overwhelm the other with MK awsomeness. ( and make sure that he doesn't disrupt the Cg or get any items. Tell your sister not to go for any items, ev en smash balls. Smash balls are to n00bs as marijuan is to drugies. :) Or just do the DACIT thing, but I think it's easier if your sister was doing something too.
Yeah, MK (my main when brawl came out) was another one of my choices and CG seems like a good idea because 1) it keeps the other guy busy and 2) if i use ike CG into ike's [insert aerial here]/usmash=sweet

GAH why isn't this brawl+?! This puts me in such an awkward position with no pit/squirtle (my mains) to work with. (not to mention items UGH)

Oh, if it matters to anyone my non B+ mains were Kirby, Zelda, toon link, and the occasional aggressive marth (I like and can use other well, but those were my best 4)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't think one person CGing and one person DACITing would work well. At best, one opponent will be busy, and the other one will be free to attack whoever as you attempt to get a throwable item. Or what if it's a team of MKs, who you can't CG?

At least have her able to use D3 and one other character. I'm not sure who's an easy to use, but affective in teams character....Ike sadly is probably the closest thing, but Ike + Ike team = gimp'd city....Worse case, teach her how to Bowsercide.

Arkio

Smash Cadet
I don't think one person CGing and one person DACITing would work well. At best, one opponent will be busy, and the other one will be free to attack whoever as you attempt to get a throwable item. Or what if it's a team of MKs, who you can't CG?

At least have her able to use D3 and one other character. I'm not sure who's an easy to use, but affective in teams character....Ike sadly is probably the closest thing, but Ike + Ike team = gimp'd city....Worse case, teach her how to Bowsercide.
One problem i have with me trying to do DACIT is she isn't a very good solo fighter right now, so if I'm running around getting items she will get killed.

If she went the chaingrab route and started to CG someone, I wouldn't DACIT so I could 1v1 the other guy or wreck the guy under the CG lock.

If we run into a double MK team that is skilled, we will probably lose unless she improves very, very quickly no matter what. Also i don't intend to teach her only to CG I will also give her peach or pika since she loves them anyway (and pika and still CG people)

If she used ike, I would use someone else (MK, or someone I'm already comfortable with. Zelda's dins fire is amazing at grabbing smash balls and harassing recoveries maybe TL, his projectiles simply add to the chaos)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
MK and Ike would be good, you can still DACIT, she could hold her own if you taught her jab canceling and she caught on to it (she should, it's one of the simplest things in the game to do, but is oh so effective....), and seeing as there is no FF, if she gets gained up on, you can Nado in there no problem, or Shuttle Loop.

Arkio

Smash Cadet
MK and Ike would be good, you can still DACIT, she could hold her own if you taught her jab canceling and she caught on to it (she should, it's one of the simplest things in the game to do, but is oh so effective....), and seeing as there is no FF, if she gets gained up on, you can Nado in there no problem, or Shuttle Loop.
Yeah, I will learn how to use MK for sure he's just such a beast >_>

Yeah, she can definitely catch onto things, she isn't like ******** or even young, she's 17. (in fact, she is older than me) I just wouldn't be able to teach her anything super crazy cause of her lack of time and experience

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Oh. When people say "sister" I assume "younger sibling". >_>

Teach her Jab Canceling (particularly Jab1 -> Jab 1 as it's a true combo and Jab1 -> Grab, as it is nearly a true combo, only isn't if they buffer a jump and AD), Hyphen Smash (Upsmash out of a dash, NOT like Snake's, just run forwards then c-stick up), how to space her Fair, maybe DACIT if you have enough time. Also tell her not to use QD to recover unless nobody is going to be in her way.

Arkio

Smash Cadet
Oh. When people say "sister" I assume "younger sibling". >_>

Teach her Jab Canceling (particularly Jab1 -> Jab 1 as it's a true combo and Jab1 -> Grab, as it is nearly a true combo, only isn't if they buffer a jump and AD), Hyphen Smash (Upsmash out of a dash, NOT like Snake's, just run forwards then c-stick up), how to space her Fair, maybe DACIT if you have enough time. Also tell her not to use QD to recover unless nobody is going to be in her way.
yeah, that's why i mentioned her age =/ i have a hard time thinking of her as older too cause she is INSANELY short and petite

She should be able to catch onto all of that (possibly excluding DACIT) easily. The hardest thing for me, however, will be trying to keep her finger away from spamming that c-stick! she is in LOVE with it. I almost died on the floor when she asked me "how do i do a smash without using the c-stick?" she is certainly addicted >_>

POKE40

Smash Lord
The MK and Snake combo.
Snake sticks C3 to MK
MK grabs opponent and does U-throw
(with right timing) Snake activates C3 when MK is in the sky while doing the U-throw
Success :)

wait...can you stick the C3 to MK in no Friendly Fire?

Arkio

Smash Cadet
The MK and Snake combo.
Snake sticks C3 to MK
MK grabs opponent and does U-throw
(with right timing) Snake activates C3 when MK is in the sky while doing the U-throw
Success :)

wait...can you stick the C3 to MK in no Friendly Fire?
LOL that would be obnoxious. I just tested it and you can, in fact, c4 your buddys without friendly fire

Don't know if she could learn to properly play MK/Snake, but it is an interesting idea to be kept in mind.

EDIT: Just found out you can also C4 your buddy and then have them wipe it off on the enemy

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster

They call it Glide Tossing not DACIT.

Anyways, instead of teaming with your sister, couldn't you just team with a cpu? That would be better IMO. Have the cpu be Luigi or Peach if you can choose your CPU. Their good and they can make you win double the money since they can't take their reward for winning.

Arkio

Smash Cadet
They call it Glide Tossing not DACIT.

Anyways, instead of teaming with your sister, couldn't you just team with a cpu? That would be better IMO. Have the cpu be Luigi or Peach if you can choose your CPU. Their good and they can make you win double the money since they can't take their reward for winning.
WOW talk about cruel! "yeah sis, i know you would like to play and enjoy yourself, but i would prefer a computer =/"

Not to mention i could NEVER beat my brother and his friend with a computer on my team. She can easily outperform a computer yet i still lose to them with her on my team (hence me asking for help) >_>

POKE40

Smash Lord
LOL that would be obnoxious. I just tested it and you can, in fact, c4 your buddys without friendly fire

Don't know if she could learn to properly play MK/Snake, but it is an interesting idea to be kept in mind.

EDIT: Just found out you can also C4 your buddy and then have them wipe it off on the enemy
Ahh. So there you go. :D
You'll have to do some practicing before hand with your sister. (to decide who will be who)

Good Luck :)

Arkio

Smash Cadet
Would you look at that! ANOTHER BAD RULE! could this get ANY worse? It's single elimination with only 1 game, not best of 3 or even 2 games! Oh well, mainly going there to have some fun with my sister, brother, and friend. Worst case i lose due to a smash ball or heart popping up and enjoy myself =/

@Poke40 if we were to use that team, i would most likely be snake. I think he is the harder of the 2 (grenades, mortar slide, challenging recovery, and NOT using fsmash/spamming cstick in any direction) at least MK won't fail to hard with the occasional dsmash spam

@Gindler It's in Winter Haven FL at level 8 games (i think that's its name) on april 19th, the rules are not set in stone yet so I didn't post it on the tournament section. They just recently released what i have said and are still deciding on item ratio, some stages (hyrule and smashville are 99% in, and i assume final destination) entry fee is free all i know for prizes is both team members get a DSi one blue, one black. if the 2 team members cannot decide who gets which color they play a game of brawl against each other

parts of that is subject to change please do not get mad at me if anything turns out incorrect. I only heard about it previous to the time normal people get to know about because i am a friends with someone who is friends with the people who opened the store

If you would like, i will make an official post in the tournament thread when i know what the rules will be 100%

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I'm being 100% serious when I say get her to pick Sonic. Get her to practice completely avoiding people, then getting the Smash Ball and ****** people as Super Sonic. Smash Balls spawn all the time.

There's a reason the ISP has these rules in place.

She could theoretically do the same with Pikachu, along with Thunder spam and TJolt spam, but Pika's FS isn't as good.

Alternatively, since FF is off, you can just both pick Falco and totally abuse Blaster and Reflector. Falco's FS comes second only to Sonic.

Arkio

Smash Cadet
I'm being 100% serious when I say get her to pick Sonic. Get her to practice completely avoiding people, then getting the Smash Ball and ****** people as Super Sonic. Smash Balls spawn all the time.

There's a reason the ISP has these rules in place. If these guys want to use an uncompetitive system, you should abuse it.

She could theoretically do the same with Pikachu, along with Thunder spam and TJolt spam, but Pika's FS isn't as good.

Alternatively, since FF is off, you can just both pick Falco and totally abuse Blaster and Reflector. Falco's FS comes second only to Sonic.
To be fair, if she were to run around and the opponents caught onto it don't you think i would be a bit overwhelmed... 2v1? and sonic has no projectile to back me up. Falco seems more promising, but she would still need to learn to fight with him, luckily he's a very good character (or at least i think he is)

EDIT: right... items make good projectiles for sonic. Plus his speed helps with that...

Top Bottom