• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Goals for the new year concerning Pit and life?

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Thread mercilessly stolen from the peach boards :reverse:

Sometimes a new year is a time to reflect, and aspire to improve ourselves as Pit players and as individuals. What are your Pit and irl new year resoloutions?

For Pit I want to:

- Learn patience. For so many of Pit's tricky matchups, he is best when camping. Playing with patience means that I don't only create openings, but I wait for my opponent to create openings for me as well, regardless of how long this might take.

- Win a tournament. I don't care if I use a secondary and I don't care if I time people out like a jerk, I want to finally win one!

- Get a GOOD gamecube controller. Wiimote and Nunchuk can only take me so far :embarrass:

For life:

- Keep up my decent grades in university classes, and not fail any courses. Specifically I will not fail thermodynamics.

- Hook up with more people.

What are your plans for Pit and in general?

dskank

Smash Journeyman
pit- continue to improve, beat good opponents and not loose interest in this game.

for life- loose my freshmen 15 (name homo), get a job and maintain my 3.0 gpa.. and to party hard in true swamp***** fashin :cool:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Plans for Pit: Continue to improve my playstyle which ive finally found and continue to learn Pit as a character. Improve usage of certain moves,gimping,edgeguarding etc. Continue to help new Pits and the boards ^_^.

Win a tournament definitely with it being Florida its gonna be much harder for me to topple the top contenders but...it is definitely something i have enough drive for.

Advance my game with my other 2 mains Falco snake. (might be switching to snake to mk for the mk mu...not sure yet. Ive recently gathered some strong inspiration to stick with snake buuut we'll see)

Go to an OoS tourney since ill be 18 very soon. I am DYING to attend a national since my dad didnt let me go to MLG orlando even though it was 15 minutes away from home T-T

For life...: Keep up my grades for my senior year and do well when i attend UCF this fall.

Find a Job this summer b4 my fall semester.
Continue to hang out with my friends and have fun.
Enjoy what i got while i have it

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Life: Get as high grades as I can this year, make improvement over all my other courses. I was truly overwhelmed with Calculus 1~3 these past 3 semesters; now I'm done, I can be a little more focused (still need moar math tho D: )

Pit: Win/place top 5 with Pit in a decently sized tournament, simply because I want to. I have nothing to prove, I just want to show how my Pit works compared to others. I love playing as this character, almost as much as Wario. And it's time for a change of pace :)

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Pit Plans: Continue to improve in my offline gameplay. I need to perfect my arrow usage such as pivot arrow and learning when to stop arrowing because I get punished a lot for using an arrow too close to someone. I need to become a Pit encyclopedia. I'm going to research and memorize the chaingrab %'s as well as the frame data because I think it will boost my game dramatically if I put some intellect into it.

Pound 5. Looking forward to my second national. MLG DC was fun, but I feel as if I didn't really belong as it was my second tourney ever and I didn't even talk to the Pits there or even have that man friendlies in general. I hope some of you guys are going so we can friendly.

Top 5 in a local tourney or place in the money. I've taken some of m region's top players to some pretty close matches and I think I can do it. I just need to not make the stupid mistakes I do playing big names just because I'm nervous. At least one super hyped match will be good as well.

Longshot, but get on MD/VA power ranking. Some of our top players are losing interest so there's gonna be more room for enthusiastic newcomers like me in the future. Lets hope I can get good by Summer or Fall.

Life Plans: Get straight A's spring semester. First semester as a freshman kicked my *** (F in calculus) and now that I know what I'm up against, I'm putting on my tryhard pants this time. I'm stepping up my brawl game AND college game.

Driver's License. I've been putting this off for too long as I'm 18 now since 12/21 and I still can't drive. My friends can all drive and are salty for having to drive me everywhere, same with my parents now. So I need to shut them up with this. =/

More down the road, get a job and a car. I need monies so I can enter more tournaments. Once i have my driver's license I'll need a car to get places lol. Hopefully I can get one by the end of the summer so I can drive to tournies and even give people rides because people have been generous enough to do the same for me.

Have sex. Serious.

P.S. we should check our accomplishments off when we fufill them!

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Life: stop procrastinating in everything I do, start to give a **** about college, mainly.

Pit: get better, stop going for the obvious stuff, learn to gimp, which I rarely ever do. In the end get my pit at my ike's level and get top 3 by using them (counting Leon et Gluttony in the tournament x_o)

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Life: Same goal as the guy above me, starting sometime next week

Pit: Improve arrow accuracy

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Pit: Keep improving with him and learning new tricks ^__^. And learning more of the MU's that give me trouble. Also, to learn when to switch from Offense to Defense and Vice Versa. Go to at least 1 offline tournament (I DESPERATELY need offline experience X__X). Get 1st place in an online tournament again ^__^. And basically just keep improving all around with my playstyle with him ^__^.

Life: Keep getting good grades. Learn more Web Design stuff (I LOVE CSS code.... Makes pages look spiffy :cool:). Learn how to code in Flash to make games in Flash. Get Drivers Ed class. Draw..... Something and post it on DeviantART. Learn more Math stuff. Learn how to draw Noel (LOL). Keep being cheerful ^__^. And... that's about it.

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR ^__^!!!

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
PIT:
to advance my meta game to super pro level.
to learn the metaknight mu inside and out.
to get power ranked in norcal using pit. i know i have wat it takes if i get the above down.

Life
get a new car
get baked
move to auburn and further my life down there
get baked
go to sierra college and get a criminal justice degree
get baked
lololololololololol
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

link2702

Smash Champion
don't really have much goals for brawl now since i really don't play it much anymore...(sorry guys.....)

but a goal for all pit mains, espicially for those of you whoare really still in the scene.

....try to gain respect in brawl as a whole....and get folks to at least take pit players more seriously....admirLOL is gone now, pit mains can finally start on rebuilding their reputations as a whole, but as of right now...people stil pretty much don't take pit players even remotly seriously, most of em still can't stand us, and the "always the pit mains" meme is pretty much stapled to all our foreheads forever now...but...it CAN be changed....with enough time and effort you can get folks to change their views on pit players as a whole....

...and...also try to show up in tournaments more and push his metagame.

I'm sorry...but i really am not into brawls scene anymore...life(translation: marriage) and many other things have pretty much stopped it for me....but i seriously wanna see pit players succeed...

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
don't really have much goals for brawl now since i really don't play it much anymore...(sorry guys.....)

but a goal for all pit mains, espicially for those of you whoare really still in the scene.

....try to gain respect in brawl as a whole....and get folks to at least take pit players more seriously....admirLOL is gone now, pit mains can finally start on rebuilding their reputations as a whole, but as of right now...people stil pretty much don't take pit players even remotly seriously, most of em still can't stand us, and the "always the pit mains" meme is pretty much stapled to all our foreheads forever now...but...it CAN be changed....with enough time and effort you can get folks to change their views on pit players as a whole....

I'm sorry...but i really am not into brawls scene anymore...life(translation: marriage) and many other things have pretty much stopped it for me....but i seriously wanna see pit players succeed...
legit reason is legit. Glad im florida where most ppl know whats up about pit :o though bein i florida i do see his limitations very well but regardless ima stick with him. He is alot like marth where in high level play imo takes mastery of the basics and being able to read your opponent well.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
honestly pits basics are what make him such a great character to begin with. but as we all know as pit some of the things that are basic in thought are actually really advanced and requires very character specific knowledge due to spacing and such (i.e. practical application of WOI alone requires a bunch of practice and research). so in my opinion pit is a character who knowing ALL of your advanced techniques/basics along with just the good old basics is essential to unlocking his full potential as a character. in time i can see the pit boards pulling through and bringing pit high B tier or bottom of A tier. i mean honestly guys marth is only 45:55 for us meaning out of all of S and A tier, we lose to metaknight and wario hard, and then not to hard to marth and falco (all in that order imo). this means we are either even or advantaged against snake, diddy, ICs (based on stages and lgl). now while 3/7 looks bad, think about how these match ups will become easier as pit becomes a character who could quite possibly become more advanced character wise than marth. pits options are so plentiful but situation specific that we as a community are just taking longer to unleash our character from the lack of knowledge that is holding him back. the more knowledge we as a community gain the higher in tier and competitive level our character will grow and the easier the hard match ups will become

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
3/7 not so bad. To compare to another character:

PIT DIDDY

MK 40-60 45-55

SNAKE 50-50 50-50

FALCO 45-55 45-55

WARIO 40-60 45-55

MARTH 45-55 45-55

ICS 55-45 55-45

50-50 with each other

Really not so bad.

Goal for the Year: 2learn2rape

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I fully agree with Maharba, I feel that Pit has a ton of ATs and that if we, the last hope for Pit, can master them ALL, and incorporate them ALL into our game to cover incalculable situations, then yes, we can rise Pit up the ladder.

2learn2rape indeed. Pit already has the tools, we need to use them better.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Pit goes close with Falco, Marth and Snake for sure. I would love to hear why Pit and MK is 45:55, because to me it is at least 40:60 if not 35:65.

Pit does have many tools that go unused though. It feels like we are all slowly developing as players, but in general are far behind other character boards in terms of general skill. This can and will change with time though.

I feel like my Pit is changing as well. I'm finally implementing his underused moves like U-Smash, D-Tilt and Angel Ring into my game and they help alot. I freaking love Angel Ring. Also vertical shot arrows to force airdodges.

On the bright side, its nice to play a character without a stagnant metagame. Poor zelda lol.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Pit takes a lot of patience and dedication to perform well. He is like Marth in that aspect. I'm learning that he isn't a fast character like I once thought he was. Pit seems to lack w/ follow-ups so it seems like one has to be very good @ reading opponents to get some damage off, but maybe that's just me.

I haven't really thought of my Pit goals, but I might as well jot them down. And I consider them more of "smash career" goals than strictly Pit goals.

*Bring honor to God in everything I do w/ this game, and make him my source of knowledge/tactics
*Become more patient
*Strive for continous improvement in all aspects of Pit and basic gameplay(arrow control, Pit tech skill, reading opponents, baiting)
*Show people the "true potential" of Pit. He is becoming more and more basic in my perspective. Pit has some decent ATs, but the basics which has been talked about since the beginning of Pit, is imperative @ this point.
*Be more adaptive and open to new techniques/strategies

Those are just some, I'll write more later.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
Pit goes close with Falco, Marth and Snake for sure. I would love to hear why Pit and MK is 45:55, because to me it is at least 40:60 if not 35:65.
I think you misread. The left set of ratios' is Pit, the right is Diddy. Pit-Mk i put down as 40-60.
I was just going by the Diddy matchup chart and the general opinons here. I personally don't think wario is so bad and feel marth is 40-60. The point was just showing that MK aside our top tier matchup spread isn't so bad.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I think you misread. The left set of ratios' is Pit, the right is Diddy. Pit-Mk i put down as 40-60.
I was just going by the Diddy matchup chart and the general opinons here. I personally don't think wario is so bad and feel marth is 40-60. The point was just showing that MK aside our top tier matchup spread isn't so bad.
wario is 10x worse than marth....i can go into a rant about why but ik and no1 can convince me otherwise.

taylorjoy97

Smash Rookie

This is very insperational. I always feel under appreciated as a Pit player. I haven't seen the "always the pit mains" meme though. :\

So, things I want to work on as Pit: Definately aiming arrows and learn how to throw arrow looping into my meta game. Also need to figure out the Angelic Step. I would also like to meet some more Pit players for insperation and tactics.

Life: Keep getting good grades in school. (:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
wat kuro said x100000.1 seriously angelic step is really easy. you can do it out of ANYTHING. just hold backwards until you see him start to turn around. then slowly push forward

taylorjoy97

Smash Rookie
wat kuro said x100000.1 seriously angelic step is really easy. you can do it out of ANYTHING. just hold backwards until you see him start to turn around. then slowly push forward
That's what everyone's told me to do but I guess I'm doing it wrong? I'm practicing it out of a sidestep. I do the sidestep the quickly hit back, then forward. He looks like he's just stepping forward. Not really sliding like I see in videos shown in threads. :\

Nitrix

Smash Ace

Ahhhh okay okay okay :)

Honestly I don't think Marth is that bad either, but I can't figure out why.

@Taylorjoy: Please be smart when arrow looping. Some Pit's go crazy and loop every 3rd arrow or so only it have it rarely hit. Using the right moves at the right times is the key to Pit. Arrow Looping when mastered can actually be kind of effective, but that doesn't mean you always need to Arrow Loop

Every time an arrow misses its mark Pallutena sheds a tear. Remember that ;)

taylorjoy97

Smash Rookie
Ahhhh okay okay okay :)

@Taylorjoy: Please be smart when arrow looping. Some Pit's go crazy and loop every 3rd arrow or so only it have it rarely hit. Using the right moves at the right times is the key to Pit.

Every time an arrow misses its mark Pallutena sheds a tear. Remember that ;)
:o Thanks. I'll remember that. :)

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I freaking love Angel Ring. Also vertical shot arrows to force airdodges
Thisx10

And yeah, nitrix is right. Hitting someone with a looped arrow is like making a 3-pointer and it will get you hungry for more, but you shouldn't do it unless it's necessary.

taylorjoy97

Smash Rookie
And yeah, nitrix is right. Hitting someone with a looped arrow is like making a 3-pointer and it will get you hungry for more, but you shouldn't do it unless it's necessary.
Thanks for the tip! (: I usually don't use arrow looping since I plainly suck at aiming. But hopefully I'll learn to aim better and get a couple arrow loops in my strategy. I heard arrow looping is best when your opponent is off stage or you're in a team brawl. Is this correct?

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
straight and well aimed arrows are way better than arrow loops if you want to gimp your opponent when he's offstage, but it can be useful for pressuring some characters who won't be gimped (look out some matches of Yass vs MK on youtube)

otherwise normal arrows>>>>>loops

taylorjoy97

Smash Rookie
straight and well aimed arrows are way better than arrow loops if you want to gimp your opponent when he's offstage, but it can be useful for pressuring some characters who won't be gimped (look out some matches of Yass vs MK on youtube)

otherwise normal arrows>>>>>loops
Alright thanks.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
If you have an oponent at an odd angle that is inaccessable to regular arrows, then looping can help.

Straight arrows are generally sufficient for gimps. Especially against people like the spacies, since they really want to recover from a comfotable horizontal trajectory with their phantasms. If you hit them before they use it, then you can force their up-b, which is MUCH easier to gimp. straight arrows are great for this.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
am i the only person who thinks having an arrow ready to do your bidding at all times can be as important to pit as c4 is to snake? i mean ya its hard to control and all on a 100% consistent basis but that is what practice is 4! i swear on goal to further pits meta game that i will make a post or thread that lays out my arrow strategies and maneuvers and cover tactics in EXTREME detail. i mean know i ain't koolaid or masashi when it comes to tournament records and performance but i still feel 137% confident in my pit skills as whole. if anything i plan on placing in this upcoming WITNER GAME FEST4.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really a fan of Arrow Looping at all. Its slow and there's more time to react and shield/dodge than regular arrows. My opponent is almost never caught by suprise because Pit signpost his loops by his movement. Doesn't stop planking if they know what they're doing. The only use i see for it is in a 2v1 situation.

taylorjoy97

Smash Rookie
If you have an oponent at an odd angle that is inaccessable to regular arrows, then looping can help.

Straight arrows are generally sufficient for gimps. Especially against people like the spacies, since they really want to recover from a comfotable horizontal trajectory with their phantasms. If you hit them before they use it, then you can force their up-b, which is MUCH easier to gimp. straight arrows are great for this.
I usually curve arrows so I don't have to risk going offstage to hit people recovering with one of my aerials and then try to recover while more people are on the stage, able to hit me out of my up-b. But I see how straight arrows can be good with spacies. I'll have to try this.

I'm not really a fan of Arrow Looping at all. Its slow and there's more time to react and shield/dodge than regular arrows. My opponent is almost never caught by suprise because Pit signpost his loops by his movement. Doesn't stop planking if they know what they're doing. The only use i see for it is in a 2v1 situation.
Alright, thanks. I was wondering about team battles with arrow loops.

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
Arrow loops are efficient if you're able to do it in your sleep :p
It's a matter of practice and if you can trust 100% in your arrows, you can loop them meaningfully.

I am currently working on my new CV, be prepared.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
arrow looping isnt that bad.

just know the time and place for it, it can lead to combos and set up kills, good mind game as well. get muscle memory and then hitting plankers becomes viable. as for practice, loop lots in friendlies.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
I can loop easily but i can't see how givng your opponent like a whole second to prepare for your arrow is a good idea. Look from the other perspective. Would arrow looping really stop you planking as Pit, let alone MK. To take advantage of it you have to loop and commit forward to try to punish the hit/airdodge. If they just regrab the ledge you have to reset your spacing and its a slow and tedious process for the chance of very few percent. If they loop and arrow at you which at that stage will be seriously signposted do you not think it would be easy to deal with.

Different scenarios.: Your opponent is approaching along the ground. You loop an arrow becasue he can see Pit doing the loop he chooses not to approach into arrow chasing range and just shields it. If he close enough to be in arrow chasing range he can punish you before the loop is complete. Its the same scenario in the air tbh as well.

I am currently working on my new CV, be prepared.
I look forward to it. Maybe you'll show me something i'm missing.

Top Bottom