• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Global Character Guides - Zero Suit Samus

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Hello, all! For those that don't know me, I'm Virg. I moderate things. I'm also in charge of the newly founded Discussion Leader group and I had an idea sprout in my head not too long ago.

Every individual character board is quite different and many are truly contrasting. Seeing as how I'm tasked with encouraging discussion and help throughout the boards, I thought that maybe encouraging some similar layouts on each board would help new people (or board hermits) that eventually strolled into other boards. Not that they would get lost, but just that it would be easier and the process alone would be gratifying.

So with that, I'm here for a proposition (not of that kind!): a reformatting and update of the character guide, if it needs one. I see a lot of good threads that are kept relatively up to date. You guys would probably be discussing the Zamus match up with other character boards more than anything else...probably. But I digress.

So for those of you that don't want to read: I would like to try to get every character board to clean up and organize their character board guides/stickies. Some are fine as is. Others...not so much. I'm asking this for a shot of dialogue and cross communication throughout the boards as well as making the stickies less cluttersome.

So, what do you guys say? This is all voluntary. Just wanted to try to spruce the boards up a bit. If you have any opinions or questions, I'd be happy to hear them :)

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
We don't really have a character guide like most forums have. I thought of making one but I don't have an SD card reader for pictures. sadface

Virgilijus

BRoomer
:(

Well, I'm sure we can find some one that can assist in those regards: there are an awful lot of people here.

sasook

Smash Champion
Although, if this could be used as an opportunity to clean up our stickies, I'm all for it. These boards need a wash over, IMO. Too many stickies, too much disorganization.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Well, if you guys agree on what should be up there/taken down/integrated I can do it, no questions asked!

Though you can ask questions...maybe.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Well, if you guys agree on what should be up there/taken down/integrated I can do it, no questions asked!

Though you can ask questions...maybe.
There are several threads in our "resource center" thread that are old, especially the guides which are pretty painful to read. The video thread hasn't been updated since January (and most of them are almost a year old anyway). Our Q/A thread is "maintained" by someone who doesn't even post here anymore.

Basically, the guide thread could have attack statistics and frame data built in, an FAQ built in, and thus we wouldn't need so many threads for the same "kind of" thing.

Stickies:
- Rules
- A new video thread
- Friend finder
- Guide/FAQ/Frame Data/Attack Stats
- Resource Center (Links to other or older guides)
- Social Thread
- Match-Up Discussion

Of these, the social thread, match-up discussion, rules, and friend finder are really well-maintained. The resource center has a lot of old info in it, video thread isn't often updated, etc. I think Adapt is busy and doesn't play or post much anymore.

sasook

Smash Champion
IMO, the Resource Center isn't being used for what it should be - giving links to important threads. Why? Because most of the important threads are stickied anyway.

Personally, I don't think the tourney rankings, general discussion, the matchup thread, or the "hit L/R to pick ZSS" should be stickied. The 1st 3 will be bumped often enough, and the last one isn't needed - everyone knows it by now. And if they don't, they can always ask in the Q&A thread.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
IMO, the Resource Center isn't being used for what it should be - giving links to important threads. Why? Because most of the important threads are stickied anyway.

Personally, I don't think the tourney rankings, general discussion, the matchup thread, or the "hit L/R to pick ZSS" should be stickied. The 1st 3 will be bumped often enough, and the last one isn't needed - everyone knows it by now. And if they don't, they can always ask in the Q&A thread.
Actually I think Dazwa deleted the "hold shield to select ZSS" thread.

I agree in regards to gen disc and tourney rankings. What I would like to see is the Guide thread updated with the ratios we decide in the match-up discussion thread and it un-stickied, though.

Edit: I'll help in any way I can, btw, including with a guide (since I wanted to write it anyway).

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
What do other people think about SFP's thoughts?
He pretty much sums it up. Also maybe a thread that could combine the general discussion, q & a, and official ask Snakeee threads together because they are pretty much becoming the same thing.

And a match up chart for the match up discussion for quick reference could be nice too (like this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174335). I have nothing to do so i could maybe make one. I want to do something xP

Also, i know it has been talked about in the match up thread before, if we split the match ups into separate threads it would probably keep it more focused and would allow for just a match up index where it could just link to each individual thread.

sasook

Smash Champion
SFP, if you need an outline for how the ZSS guide should be organized, feel free to consider looking at my Link guide.

To sum it up:

-Unsticky the matchup thread, general discussion, and tourney placings
-Put a FAQ & Rules in the OP of the Q&A thread
-Update the video archive, Resource Center, and matchup thread

These are all my IMO, don't think I missed anything. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'd love to write the guide. I would like to get some pictures of her moves like other fancy character boards have though. :( Anyone have an sdcard reader? :p

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
This does seem like a good idea, considering we are a bit disorganized. Our match up thread could honestly be much better, and we are lacking in a nice guide.

AIB actually has a decent guide for ZSS. Too bad their Zamus forums are completely dead: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=11332

Like you said, it would be awesome if all of the guides/match up threads were in the same format. As far as match up threads go, I think the old "New Official Kirby Matchup Ranking AND GUIDE Thread!" Is in the perfect format: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195032Highly

Comprehensive, gives good reasoning for everything, points out multiple situations for every character, and is organized to the point I started laughing the first time I saw it. True story.

Oh, and what are our plans for this? http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236594

EDIT: Have you gone to the pit boards about this? They really need it. x_x

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
*reads discussion*

Man, you guys are on the ball! :)
You'll notice as you move through the boards that not only are they all different, but the players in them have different personalities.

Here, it's get work done but be no fun.

Of course, we have fun on IRC. =)

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
I finished a match up chart. Now im going to take screens for sfp.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Let's keep on track here....

This does seem like a good idea, considering we are a bit disorganized. Our match up thread could honestly be much better, and we are lacking in a nice guide.

AIB actually has a decent guide for ZSS. Too bad their Zamus forums are completely dead: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=11332

Like you said, it would be awesome if all of the guides/match up threads were in the same format. As far as match up threads go, I think the old "New Official Kirby Matchup Ranking AND GUIDE Thread!" Is in the perfect format: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195032Highly

Comprehensive, gives good reasoning for everything, points out multiple situations for every character, and is organized to the point I started laughing the first time I saw it. True story.

Oh, and what are our plans for this? http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236594

EDIT: Have you gone to the pit boards about this? They really need it. x_x
So, how should we start?

Bouse

Smash Ace
I'll work on cleaning up the Resource Center, I've generally just been adding things as they show up.

I'll admit it's a mess, and I'll work on eliminating crap threads and reformatting it to something a little easier to read and useful. As far as "videos" go for the Resource Center, they'll pretty much circle around AT's and not much else other than myRoboticClaw's combo video from a while back.

I should be free I think either monday or tuesday to give it an overhaul. I work most of tomorrow and I might work monday... I forget.

noradseven

Smash Lord
My handbook is a good place to pull some stuff from. At least for the move list details, add in some numbers and you are set.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I have become too busy IRL to update the video thread, sorry guys. I barely make it here much anymore

I am going to PM Dazwa about giving ownership of it to "TheZeroSuit" which a few members have the password to.

He may have a good suggestion on how to do this properly.

sasook

Smash Champion
Bump.

To sum it up:

-Unsticky the matchup thread, general discussion, and tourney placings and the guide too, it doesn't need to be stickied
-Put a FAQ & Rules in the OP of the Q&A thread
-Update the video archive, Resource Center, and matchup thread
Blue was added later on.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I KNEW I forgot something to do after my trip last weekend.

Unfortunately I've got work tonight and tomorrow morning, but I'll be sure to get started on it after work tomorrow. I plan on taking a count of every other character board's stickies and using said data to determine which stickies we should keep, which we shouldn't. There are a couple I already know we should drop (which I'll do after making this post), but there are a couple I'm unsure of, so I'll use the data.

If I end up not doing this tomorrow, someone punch me on AIM or IRC. I give everyone permission to.

sasook

Smash Champion
Dazwa, keep in mind to use the AiB Link boards, not SWF. All the Links moved there and the SWF Link boards are now basically dead.

Also, not to brag, but the AiB Link boards are ridiculously organized. We literally have a thread for just about everything. Feel free to take note of the organization and possibly use it as a model, if you wish.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Alright, around the point I reached the Lucas boards, I decided my chosen process was incredibly slow and not getting me anywhere a quick glance over each board wouldn't. (I did check the AiB Link boards, and to be honest it looked like every other board here with a few exceptions from strange boards, like Luigi and their solo-sticky strategy. Very brave.)

I've come to the conclusion that the following threads should be stickied.
- Important threads that seldom get posted in, thus requiring a sticky to be seen on a regular basis. These threads include - ZSS Resources, Board Rules, Video Archives & Player Finder)
- A character guide - This was more or less on every single character board I looked at. SFP's guide is a terrific start on the professionalism we should attempt to achieve to represent our character for potential newcomers.
- Match-ups thread - Very important in the sense that not only does it help new players learn about ZSS, players representing other boards in matchup ratio debates won't get lost trying to find our thread. It's probably best to leave it as a sticky.

The following threads shouldn't be stickied:
General/Social thread - check
Tournament Results thread - check
Q&A thread - This is the most popular thread on our board, but isn't terribly important enough to actually warrant stickying. the sheer popularity of the thread however, will probably keep it on the first page for a very long time :p

This leaves us with 6 stickies, compared to a previous 9. Much better :D

sasook

Smash Champion
Dazwa, I like your system a lot. The only thing I disagree with is the matchup thread being stickied and the Q&A not. Those 2 should be reversed, IMO. The Q&A is really important and locating it would be easy if it hadn't been posted in for a while, and the matchup thread is pretty popular, and the Resource Center would always give a link to it. Thats my 2 cents.

Zero

Smash Hero
The matchup thread has had periods where it's gone weeks without a post. Whereas the Q&A thread doesn't experience that too often.

I think we should keep the matchup thread as a sticky, but I also have another suggestion.

As whoever last updated the matchup thread has redone how we've done matchups, our summary format has changed. I suggest we begin rediscussion threads with the few characters which we covered first (Snake, MK, Marth, G&W, etc) with respect to our improved metagame. It need not require external contribution, but it should at least be something we are doing, as it would help whoever's redoing the matchup summaries a lot, with more updated information to boot.

sasook

Smash Champion
Meh, I suppose. I dunno. I just think at least the Q&A should be stickied at least. Look how far down it's gone now that it's unstickied. Plus, we already have a nonsticky Q&A - Snakeee's thread. Sure the questions are directed at him but, usually a few people throw in their input anyway.

Also I feel like in a scenario where lers say both were unstickied (Q&A and matchups) I have a feeling more people would bump the matchup thread over the Q&A.

tl;dr - I think the Q&A should be stickied. Matchup thread I'm fine either way, but I feel Q&A should definitely be stickied.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
Is it really that big of a deal having one more thread stickied at this point that we can't just sticky them both and call it a day?

Top Bottom