• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glide-Shielding?

Shurk

Smash Cadet
So, I've recently become accustomed to using a down glide toss as a Power Shielding maneuver to gain distance towards a target, especially against the spammers, Spacies, Pit, you know who I mean.

I guess I am wondering, does anyone think it is a viable option for countering spam in a match?

If yes, Why?
If not, Why?

[Edit] Clarification: I am basically [single]dribbling forward and using it to shield.

IDK

Smash Lord
what... exactly... are you doing? i couldnt understand what exactly you said.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
The only way this is better than running is to avoid tripping.

And if you're doing this to avoid projectile spam,

a.) running is faster
b.) you don't have to throw the banana away (and ideally get it back)
c.) a trip being punished by a projectile isn't so bad (also rare)

That said, it can definitely be a good mixup tactic and I wouldn't count it out.

Half the time I would just throw the banana at them instead of the ground, though.

Trela

Smash Lord
This could be used probably as a mindgame or something. I dunnoz.

I might actually try this dude. Cool find =D

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
The only way this is better than running is to avoid tripping.
Actually, any horizontal movement initiated on the ground will increase your chances of tripping. You can trip initiating a walk, dash, stutter-step, and - yes, it's true - even a roll canceled into a glide-toss.

Shurk

Smash Cadet
lol Well, thanks for replying and everything.

Anyone have any legit reasons why or why not this should be used though? Looking for a general consensus, and wouldn't mind a decenty sized amount of user input regarding this.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Anyone have any legit reasons why or why not this should be used though? Looking for a general consensus, and wouldn't mind a decenty sized amount of user input regarding this.
On paper, this does not sound like a very practical technique. Diddy's U- and D-throw with items have noticeably longer cool-down times than his side item throws, and it will usually be too late for you to get a shield up in time against certain projectiles once the cool-down frames are over. I suppose if you were really diligent about it, you could develop specific timing against Falcos who short-hop laser, or maybe in-between the blasters by Wolves, but I will take slowly walking and power-shielding any day over this, simply because you can activate your shield at any point in this approach.

Shurk

Smash Cadet
On paper, this does not sound like a very practical technique. Diddy's U- and D-throw with items have noticeably longer cool-down times than his side item throws, and it will usually be too late for you to get a shield up in time against certain projectiles once the cool-down frames are over. I suppose if you were really diligent about it, you could develop specific timing against Falcos who short-hop laser, or maybe in-between the blasters by Wolves, but I will take slowly walking and power-shielding any day over this, simply because you can activate your shield at any point in this approach.
Ahh, okay. Thanks, I've become accustomed to using it against Pit, but that would be where most of my timing is, more of a "Mind Game" then anything else. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom