• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glide Pickup?

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
If you can throw an item while using the roll momentum, shouldn't you be able to pick up items the same way? Seems like is shouldn't matter what action is taking place as long as you use the same button. Sorry if this is confusing.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
So as in, pick something up and roll at the same time? You can't do that (or at least, I can't). Glide tossing works by canceling the roll's animation but not the momentum, so you end up doing what you do (if I'm wrong at all, feel free to correct me if you can explain it)

And, you can't pick things up mid-roll because you can't do anything until the roll ends, if that was also what you might have been asking.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
short answer: no
long answer: throwing an item and picking one up are two different things. Since glide tossing is a glitch (afaik; doesn't seem like an exploit to me) it's not applicable for item pickup.

andayt

Smash Cadet
not quite rolling no. but if you dash>a into an item (i.e. cracker launcher) you will pick it up and glide until your momentum comes to a halt.

for glide-picking (as i call it) works best for falcon, although im unsure if everyone can glide pick since attacks from chars like bowser/DDD dive and may not pick up, either that or it will work with some deformality with the animations. xD

J4pu

Smash Champion
... all that happens when you dash>a into an item is you do your dash attack while picking up the item. does not cancel or change your normal dash attack momentum in any way.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
... all that happens when you dash>a into an item is you do your dash attack while picking up the item. does not cancel or change your normal dash attack momentum in any way.
No no you run...let go of run and tap A. You will slide from your run.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
So as in, pick something up and roll at the same time? You can't do that (or at least, I can't). Glide tossing works by canceling the roll's animation but not the momentum, so you end up doing what you do (if I'm wrong at all, feel free to correct me if you can explain it)

And, you can't pick things up mid-roll because you can't do anything until the roll ends, if that was also what you might have been asking.
short answer: no
long answer: throwing an item and picking one up are two different things. Since glide tossing is a glitch (afaik; doesn't seem like an exploit to me) it's not applicable for item pickup.

I was mainly thinking about mid roll. I meant just like a glide toss exept picking up an item instead. Also I don't understand the difference between a glitch and an exploit. I understand Wave Dashing to be an exploit but glide tossing seems like one too.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I was mainly thinking about mid roll. I meant just like a glide toss exept picking up an item instead. Also I don't understand the difference between a glitch and an exploit. I understand Wave Dashing to be an exploit but glide tossing seems like one too.
Exploit is using something in a way that it wasn't meant to be used. (eg; wavedashing) normally to get a benefit. It was put in my the game developers.

A glitch is using something that was not meant to be in the game by a game developer. I highly doubt glide tossing was meant to be in the game.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Exploit is using something in a way that it wasn't meant to be used. (eg; wavedashing) normally to get a benefit. It was put in my the game developers.

A glitch is using something that was not meant to be in the game by a game developer. I highly doubt glide tossing was meant to be in the game.
And on the other hand wavedashing was put into the game. The Devs didn't want you airdodgeing through the stage! We just took it to a higher level.

Also, to the player, there isn't a real usage difference =]

SuSa

Banned via Administration
And on the other hand wavedashing was put into the game. The Devs didn't want you airdodgeing through the stage! We just took it to a higher level.

Read what I said more carefully. I stated wavedashing was meant to be in the game, but not how we used it.

They didn't want use airdodging into the ground to get around the stage, or slide around. ( I would like to believe ) I believe they meant it as a 'if they airdodge towards the ground, they get a slide thingie based off of ( I forget what ) and 10 frames of end lag.' and so it happened... lol

SCOTU

Smash Hero
no, but to someone looking for related techniques, there is a huge difference. If it's an exploit, there's some property of the engine that allows you to do something, and oftentimes related exploits can be found (i.e. wavedashing > waveshining). It it's a glitch, it's likely that it's a localized instance and doesn't apply elsewhere.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
For Wave Dashing, all that momentum has to go somewhere.
For glide tossing... I guess that momentum has to go there too. And they did up IASA frames in rolling...So...i confused myself.

Top Bottom