• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Give it to me good

Jayw21

Smash Rookie
Hi I'm new to the community here. I hear a lot about on utube when I'm searching for guides and tips for ssbb. I've played the game for a very long time and I'm ALWAYS trying to get better. I feel like I just can't get good enough. I have a few friends that I play with but here is the problem I've run into over the years.

WE KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EACH OTHER!

Yikes! Our fights in the game are on a level of precognition because we just know! This is DANGEROUS for tournaments!!! Some of you don't need an explanation for those who do. People don't react the same way in a match and everyone has their own skill level. I hope you can figure it out from there. Not trying to go into a lot of detail over the obvious.

I'd like to proudly say I played in my first real smash tournament this Friday with over 64 players! Best time I ever had playing smash however I discovered a lot of my weakness from developing bad habits. I've read almost every marth guide and I love the info I got on everything from spacing to combo idea's to ways to escape different moves with the up b.

I'm going to begin implementing a new playing style into marth to really improve.

Which brings me to the main question I have now.

I am having a REALLY hard time discovering marth's sweet spot for his dair. No matter how I practice I can't ever seem to make it work for me. To be more specific I'm having problems timing the spike with the characters re approach to the ledge.

And in most embarrassing cases I miss (often times striking to low) and just out right killing myself!

This is a no no and has detoured me from attempting spiking during serious matches.

I realize no in the tournament had I cultivated that skill to become second nature I would of made it much farther than I did. I consider myself a journeyman on the skill chart here at this sight and I really want to break through this plateau I'm on and take my gaming experience to the next level. (And totally annihilate my friends lol.)

Sooo does anyone have any good tips for working marth's spikes or how I can better cultivate this ability into my arsenal? Thanks for reading!

Jayw21

Smash Rookie
You know I thought this was a community that people from all skills levels could come and get advice and share information. I read a lot of guides and appreciated the collected information here but seriously what the hell is that supposed to mean? You speculated on the first and could guess the last.

That could be taken many of ways. Just because I'm not the best smash brother player doesn't mean I'm stupid or you can belittle me. The internet doesn't give you a right to be an ***.

Sorry if I was under the impression people actually came here to improve their skills. Apparently manners isn't on the agenda here either.

Jayw21

Smash Rookie
Oh and after 40 views not a single word of advice. I just went into practice and lowered the speed until I could figure it out on my own. Still having problems with the occasional suicide though and how to approach characters above the stage.

But it's obvious I'm not going to get pointed in the right direction here.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
im sorry, i shouldve given you the advice to practice hitting it in training mode at lower speeds and experiment around with the hitbox and learn not to fastfall it offstage, and perhaps you should read the 100 marth guides because all of them are dated 2008/2009, times in which people experimented with the dair tipper a lot

the right direction is in the stickies which you should read prior to posting, questions go to the Q&A thread

am i nice now?

Jayw21

Smash Rookie
Oh THAT sticky! you mean the The NEW Marth Guides Collection!!!

Right because that obviously wasn't the first place I checked. Good thing there wasn't anything of marths spikes in there. Otherwise I'd be the one who looked like the ******* here. Phew! Guess I'm saved because I did my research before posting. It's a real shame those posts were made back in 2008/9. I mean considering it's 2012 and all Geez I think even the search function would have a hard time narrowing that down. Man Glad I thought to ask oh and look who showed up. My personal savior. Thanks lord chair couldn't of done it without you.

You got a real knack for putting your foot in your mouth. Is it out of habit that you choose to be a sarcastic ******* or is it because you feel you have some sense of entitlement you can just verbally belittle any new member that posts asking for help?

Congratulations you were my first impression of the member base on this site. I only hope that the rest of community will prove as helpful as you were. Thanks for the tips they helped tons! Cheers!

See I can be a sarcastic ******* too! Care to start fresh or are we going to continue this bullcrap. I can do this all day but I'd imagine the thread would get locked and I would end up not getting the help I wanted. So if you got nothing left to contribute or still feel like being some smart ***. Scam I don't have the patience for that. Go cyber bully someone else cause I ain't having it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The spike hasn't really been a major thing or anything close to one for a while. It's hitbox is hard to hit with.
If you're finding it hard to hit cpus or stuff imagine how hard it is to hit people in match with it.

Try to learn to do the fthrow to dair chain grab spike at 0% on Falco/Fox or something, it "kinda" auto spikes forward.

Alternatively it's a bit easier to hit with the tipper from behind him (as in, swing behind him). It really is all about spacing though so other than these 'tips' you need to really figure it out, and then realise how hard it is to actually use.

If you lightly move the control stick downwards and then C stick downwards you won't fast fall. If you C-stick downwards while rising from a jump you won't fast fall either.

Jayw21

Smash Rookie
I've pulled off a few spikes just messing around with friends, never intentionally trying to set them up though until recently. That back side of the dair is new to me. I had no idea it has such a wide/high hit box. Really useful but still seems like a pain to pull off always having to turn around. I feel like I'm losing frames just trying to position myself better.

I noticed in a lot of your matches Shaya at higher levels you tend to not spike as much. I take it marth's spiking is really context base and not as useful as all those combo videos make it out to be.

btw seen a lot of your matches on utube, and it convinced me not to give up on marth ^__^ Thanks for the inspiration.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
If you footstool jump someone, you can dair right after (as in RIGHT AFTER) and spike them, I think there's certain characters that it doesn't work on though, does anyone know where a list of this is? :o

I remember KillLock footstool spiking Nana when I played him on wifi :'(

Jayw21

Smash Rookie
Awesome again another thing I was unaware of was the foot stool. Thanks for the sharing the information with me and where to find it. It's been a big help ^__^ soon as I get a better internet concretion *currently prepaid wifi eeeeewww* I hope to see some of you online.

fyi now that I know about the the back swing I've damn near got is spiking down perfectly. That wide sweet spot make things A LOT easier.

Oh and CJ thanks for the criticism. Not going to say I'm a beast with marth I just feel like I've mastered the basics for him already and I need to move on to more advanced playing strategies to advance.be a real contender. I know this is a noob thread I mean the game is old and learning how to spike now uuug. like I said before I just let myself get discouraged from trying but I'm running out of things to learn how to do with him lol.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Just practice, Practice, Practice.

That's the they only way to get better.

Something the Falco boards used to say in 2008.

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
Yeah most people prefer to just go with marths gimping ability since it's really good. I personally like to dair when I go to hit them off the stage again and they air dodge only to realize that now I'm right on top of them in spiking range. And yeah, spiking works great against spacies (fox,falco,wolf).

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I saw the title of this thread so I clicked.

I was HIGHLY disappointed.

Relevant tip so I don't get infracted: Focus on your other fundamentals first. Once you grow as a player, the other things like this will fall into place naturally. Sounds hokey but it's true.

Top Bottom