• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish62 Elite Bowser Montage v1

pH1988

Smash Rookie
That gives me some ideas to improve with. I haven't been in Elite long with Bowser but my gsp just goes up on it's own lol sitting just over 1.6 mil.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That gives me some ideas to improve with. I haven't been in Elite long with Bowser but my gsp just goes up on it's own lol sitting just over 1.6 mil.
Your GSP is the number of players you outrank (as opposed to a traditional numbered ranking system, which counts how many players outrank you). This does have the odd consequence of increasing the raw GSP value of each established player as new players start playing, as well as leaving people baffled as their GSP values fail to increase after several online victories (as there are few players left to outrank and information on the number of players who outrank you is not provided). I can see why Sakurai and Nintendo set it up the way they did — it's positive reinforcement (knowing that you outrank a large number of players makes you feel good, while knowing that a large number of players outrank you makes you feel lousy) — but there are definitely oddities.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No. GSP is dumb and bad and Nintendo should feel bad for using it.
If it gets me matches close to my skill level consistently, they could make the ranking consist solely of explicit messages telling you how much you suck at the game and I'd still be having fun with it.

B!squick

Smash Master
It doesn't though. Not from my experience, little though it is and full of miss inputs due to lag.

EDIT: But even it did, how they choose to display ranking has absolutely nothing to do with the match making system in the first place.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It doesn't though. Not from my experience, little though it is and full of miss inputs due to lag.

EDIT: But even it did, how they choose to display ranking has absolutely nothing to do with the match making system in the first place.
Ever play a Splatoon 2 Splatfest and notice how your "Splatfest Power" is unknown until you've played at least seven matches? It's because the game is trying to assess your skill level when initially it has nothing to go on. Like many other competitive online games, it will take more than a few games before your matchmaking becomes consistent.

ravage

Smash Rookie
Wow, i've come back after taking several years off from smash, but i remember reading your melee guide back in 2006ish. I used to yell GIMPYFISH COMBO, much to everyone's confusion. Cheers, mate

Top Bottom