• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimping and Spiking

Holla@ChaBoi390

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5100-6686
I don't know about most players but I take every opportunity to use Mario's fludd and cape to gimp to get a early kill. I also spike early if the opponent gives me the chance to. Does anyone here think that is disrespectful or "cheap", or a totally fine play style?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
It's totally legitimate. The real reason you don't see it often is that in high-level play, it's not worth the risk in most cases, as people are likely to anticipate it, dodge it, and counter-gimp. If you can get away with it, go for it. I don't think anyone would argue against that.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
If a character has the option to kill early, then use it. Why? Because your opponent should know of this and be attempting to prevent such situations at ALL costs.

You are not bad or cheap for using it.

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
I don't see why spikes aren't legitimate. It's just a way to kill your opponent quicker and in a more stylish way.

Dope_Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DeBoe4sho
the whole point of the game is to get the other player off as fast as possible without losing stocks yourself..... so why on earth would it be cheap to get a KO at 30%. spikes and gimps are GAMECHANGERS, like digi said tho most of the time you are taking a risk but when it pays off its 100% worth it. I get more respect for a comeback with a spike than people hating on it

PacBeast

Smash Rookie
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
4871-4293-8599
Nah, it's cool. Just do what you need to do to win, even if it means spiking and gimping. If someone says it's "cheap" you're doing it right.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I don't think spiking/gimping someone is disrespectful, I think it's helpful because they'll remember that the next time they try to recover in that way.
Disrespect is going above and beyond for a KO when it's unnecessary, like this one time I dsmashed a Marth off the stage, and rather than just watching them fall, I jumped behind them post-upB and Dededecided for the win.

People are going to get mad at you because Smash is made in such a way that your average player will think themselves better than most people they've fought, and generally, being proven wrong is never fun unless you're actually playing to better yourself.
I played some friendlies over in another city, and it was my first time playing 6-person Smash with people who actually kinda knew what they were doing, so I picked Dedede and had a fair amount of fun, but no matter who I would end up fighting last for the 1v1, they would always complain about how good Dedede is and how I wouldn'tve won without gordos (which is kinda true; even with gordos, Dedede really ain't all that).
I pretty much told them exactly how they should handle gordos and how they should fight in general, but they still found reasons to hate on me, and at that point, there's nothing you can do, and I hope Nintendo realizes this.
It doesn't matter how simple or accessible or forgiving you make your game; people who want to complain are going to complain.

Keep capin'.

Neoleo21

Smash Apprentice
Its totally fine, because they're super dangerous even with the proper set up.

Holla@ChaBoi390

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5100-6686
Thanks for the replies, you all made good points. I love gimping and spiking to make a comeback when I otherwise would've lost.
@ PCHU PCHU I get called cheap too. I fought two of my friends 1 on 1 and they said I'm cheap and that Mario is a cheap character. I told them how to get out of my combos and to abuse Mario's short range but it didn't matter. Some people just can't accept when someone they used to beat is now better than they are.

Dope_Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DeBoe4sho
yup, but hopefully they start adapting and learning ways around getting spiked or caped. Or even putting themselves in a position to be gimped. personally when I avoid marios gimps I try n recover real high or come from down low. To each his own

Holla@ChaBoi390

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5100-6686
Yeah that's a good strategy. Spiking someone means you used a move on then that has a meteor effect that sends them straight down, almost always KOing them, even at low percentages. I'm not sure of the exact definition of gimp but an example is using Mario's cape to turn them someone around mid air, making them unable to grab the ledge. The basic idea is to use a move that disrupts someones recovery.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Erm, whats a spike and gimp?
Spike is using an aerial attack, often down aerial attack, to send the opponent flying downwards. This is also called Meteor Smash.

A gimp is using an attack to not allow your opponent tor ecover.

Also I play Villager and Sheik, and that's definitely one of the best options. Gets early kills. Definitely not cheap, and I'd even say, if you want to excel at this game, you need to have the guts to go deep.

Last edited:

JOLLYPOWER

Smash Rookie
I don't know about most players but I take every opportunity to use Mario's fludd and cape to gimp to get a early kill. I also spike early if the opponent gives me the chance to. Does anyone here think that is disrespectful or "cheap", or a totally fine play style?
Well thats basically mario's fighting style, cheap. But for me thats good. Then i can piss off every one that plays with me. Then they start whining that "Mario's too OP." And thats why Mario's my favorite character.

Good times.

Last edited:

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
If someone cries about you spiking them, try twice as hard to do it next time :)

(and then taunt)

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Still, it felt so good those pillars.
It's not bad now; it's just a regular spike.
It IS possible to combo a dair into a dair, with Izaw's Just Frame discovery tho~ :D

Even if it's hard as hell

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
It IS possible to combo a dair into a dair, with Izaw's Just Frame discovery tho~ :D

Even if it's hard as hell
I've seen it.
Oh, imagine a combo of dairs across the stage. Though I think that would only be possible with Smooth Landing :(

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've seen it.
Oh, imagine a combo of dairs across the stage. Though I think that would only be possible with Smooth Landing :(
Smooth landing.....I still need to get that, it definitely seems like it'd be interesting to have~

MajiNfraze

Smash Apprentice
Not only is it acceptable, I highly encourage it.

Spiking and gimping are the most risky, and skilled, ways to kill someone. Nothing feels better than ending a rushdown with a Dair to brag as Cfalc, or Fair to Dair from Marth.

I just wish shinespiking was still a thing, it was my specialty in SSBM.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
I don't see how it can be considered anything but legit. Yeah, things like Mario's fireball spam and G&W's bacon spam on the edge can be annoying, but they're not infallible, and most gimps take practice to pull off efficiently.

Landing spikes is often one of the most skillful, rewarding things possible in the series. It requires a commitment with perfect timing and the ability to predict what kind of action your opponent is going to take, and since 99% of the time you're over the edge yourself, you have to be careful to not have it backfire on you (like getting spiked yourself or getting Ganoncided).

I just wish shinespiking was still a thing, it was my specialty in SSBM.
At the very least, it shouldn't hit opponents upward.

Also, obligatory comical video:

MajiNfraze

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how it can be considered anything but legit. Yeah, things like Mario's fireball spam and G&W's bacon spam on the edge can be annoying, but they're not infallible, and most gimps take practice to pull off efficiently.

Landing spikes is often one of the most skillful, rewarding things possible in the series. It requires a commitment with perfect timing and the ability to predict what kind of action your opponent is going to take, and since 99% of the time you're over the edge yourself, you have to be careful to not have it backfire on you (like getting spiked yourself or getting Ganoncided).

At the very least, it shouldn't hit opponents upward.

Also, obligatory comical video:

Shinespiking Boss in a tournament was the highlight of my Melee career. He still won, but getting a beautiful 8% kill on him was just fantastic feeling.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Smooth landing.....I still need to get that, it definitely seems like it'd be interesting to have~
Use a hammer on some challenge in the top right corner for "All custom moves unlocked".
SL brawn badge.

That said, I'm really glad spiking replaced all meteor smashes. Makes certain characters more of a threat offtstage.

That is, if dodging weren't so easy.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Use a hammer on some challenge in the top right corner for "All custom moves unlocked".
SL brawn badge.

That said, I'm really glad spiking replaced all meteor smashes. Makes certain characters more of a threat offtstage.

That is, if dodging weren't so easy.
Thank yoou <3

Also whats the difference between a spike and a meteor smash?

PixelPoet

Smash Rookie
NNID
forester13
3DS FC
4012-3895-9442
Oh man, I love spiking. A lot of my terrible SDs or Falls usually come from a spike attempt, depending on the character. But that sound and just seeing the character fly straight to the bottom of the screen...Even when I get spiked myself, I can't help but crack a huge smile, because for some odd reason it's still satisfying even if it's done to you. I discovered Zero Suit Samus' Down+B could spike completely by accident and my eyes just lit up.
Gimping on the other hand, I could never get the hang of. Regardless, I think they are both completely valid (as well as stylish), because sometimes they can be risky as hell and quickly lead to your demise, but the payoff is just so satisfying as well as effective.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
It is definitely not "cheap",but for me the difference between getting spiked and getting gimped, is that most of the time you can spike me and I will be like "Wow. That was pretty impressive", but when I get gimped I just get a little salty about it.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Thank yoou <3

Also whats the difference between a spike and a meteor smash?
Meteor Smash (e.g. Samus's dair in any other game) sends opponents downwards, but could be cancelled almost immediately with an unused jump or a recovery move.
Spikes have set knockback, and cannot be cancelled.

Now that there's no difference/only spiking, there's no obvious advantage to some characters (all practical spiking characters are top tier in melee) where its an easy gimping tool/guarenteed finisher.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Spiking with DHD is extra fun because I feel most people get comfortable with the basic Duck Hunt can BS edgeguarding. Plus his dair's a two-hitter which gives it a little extra oomph.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Meteor Smash (e.g. Samus's dair in any other game) sends opponents downwards, but could be cancelled almost immediately with an unused jump or a recovery move.
Spikes have set knockback, and cannot be cancelled.
Spikes also only exist in Melee, and the reason they do is because meteor smashes were only read as meteor smashes at a certain angle due to an error in programming.

I still just call meteor smashes spikes because it's easier, though, and use the term "true spikes" for differentiation.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
It's just like what mah pa used ta say. If one spike isn't enough, then do another. If two ain't enough, do 3.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
It is definitely not "cheap",but for me the difference between getting spiked and getting gimped, is that most of the time you can spike me and I will be like "Wow. That was pretty impressive", but when I get gimped I just get a little salty about it.
Exactly this. Spikes are kind of awesome if you're on either end, but on the rare occasion that something like getting caped off-stage happens, I think "how did I not see that coming?" and feel the salt coming on. Neither is "cheap," both are "disrespectful," but it's all in the game, yo.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
It's real easy for me to gimp with ROBS gyro especially if they recover low or at ledge level. And his spike ain't bad eithr. You shouldn't let anyone say it's cheap it's a gameplay mechanic that takes precision timing and movement to pull off. Unless you're rosalina taking away ness up b in that case I hate you lol jk.

LthePanda

Smash Rookie
NNID
LthePanda
Spikes are always fun, and its not like their the easiest thing to pull off. if you dont set it up and are trying to just throw it out then they can anticipate it and react accordingly. The risk can be pretty high against higher leveled players. On beginners? Just do it on them all day until they learn lol

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
If you think spikes are unfair, just use a Pokemon with rapid spin. :troll:

-Jokes aside, this seems like a very unnecessary question.
Gimping, spiking, and edge-guarding in general are and have always been part of the game's strategy and mechanics.
Otherwise characters wouldn't even have gotten specific moves/tools for spiking/gimping/edge-guarding.

It's almost like saying "Smash attacks are unfair, because they send you flying much faster!!"

Top Bottom