• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gheb's messy mafia madness | Day 3

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Safe: Vult Redux [Maven], Red Ryu [Darkpit], Darkpit [Moosey], Maven [Red Ryu], Moosy [Vult Redux]
Not safe: Orboknown

Not voting: Orboknown

Orboknown [Vanilla Townie] has been lynched!
MoosyDoosy [Independent Guarding Angel] can no longer fulfil his wincondition and leaves the game on the losing side.

All threats to the town have been eliminated.
Game over, town wins.

:059:

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
This is a very armchair comment where you avoided giving your opinion on J.

Also, I want to direct everyone to Spak's #340. Look at the question J posed to him, look at Spak's response. Despite arguing, both him and J are agreeing with lynching Moosy, and Spak chooses to ignore the main focus on J
!!! this also fits with J magically losing interest in Spak!!!!

maven I'm sorry for ever doubting you.
The more I think about it the more I believe we had the game wrapped up at these posts

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I think as soon as Spak was sunk then j was done for n with his level of input. Rake dying helped clear the pool of people to chuck spears at

Maven89

Smash Master
I felt the game was largely decided day 1. Mafia had an unfortunate exchange that doomed them and the Angel took the attention to himself very early

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ Thank you for running this. I really enjoyed this game and now I'm itching to play another here. I also really liked this group of players (even Moosy I guess :p). dgames gave me ptsd when i got lynched despite being cop-cleared in Fire & Lightning and this game helped me recover. :p

I love this voting mechanic. It's clean, and makes it a lot easier for the town to secure lynches and compromise lynches. It has two major weakness which you probably already noted but I'll mention anyway: 1) POE becomes a very dominant tool for the town (we didn't make much use of it here but it would happen especially if the game were bigger/lasted longer) and 2) if two players are MIA the town can't lynch. I've brainstormed some workarounds and I would love to see you run a game with this again and I might even steal mechanic for myself.

The setup was good. I think the reason the town did so well had more to do with the players than the setup. I think Moosy could still have won if he tricked us into lynching the wrong people (I was paranoid that he was setting up his townread on me such that people would lynch me thinking I was his target when I actually wasn't), though it still would have been an uphill battle. Mafia lasting longer would have helped him too. Small setups with a lot of PRs are going to be volatile no matter what.

What is Wiretrap? Orbo and I were talking about it in the QT and I assumed it was like "tripwire" whereas he thought it was more like "wiretap"

I've used a role similar to angel a long time ago. Actually, twice. First time was a "mother" (it was a pokémafia so it fit the flavor) who had to protect a mafia-aligned child. Second time was neutral "protector" (iirc) who had to protect a SK. Both had doc protects and could win from the grave like in this setup. They were Neutral rather than Independent, so they didn't override the mafia or SK wincon. I liked these because they gave anti-town alignments a boost without adding a member to their team (like traitors, but more interesting). If you want to use the role again you should definitely try one of those.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ dgames gave me ptsd when i got lynched despite being cop-cleared in Fire & Lightning and this game helped me recover. :p
Not your fault on this, people were really really really stupid in that game towards the end.

That said I had fun, but then people lost so much trust in me. :<

Still I like the set-up and hope to join another of these in the future.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ Thank you for running this. I really enjoyed this game and now I'm itching to play another here. I also really liked this group of players (even Moosy I guess :p). dgames gave me ptsd when i got lynched despite being cop-cleared in Fire & Lightning and this game helped me recover. :p

I love this voting mechanic. It's clean, and makes it a lot easier for the town to secure lynches and compromise lynches. It has two major weakness which you probably already noted but I'll mention anyway: 1) POE becomes a very dominant tool for the town (we didn't make much use of it here but it would happen especially if the game were bigger/lasted longer) and 2) if two players are MIA the town can't lynch. I've brainstormed some workarounds and I would love to see you run a game with this again and I might even steal mechanic for myself.

The setup was good. I think the reason the town did so well had more to do with the players than the setup. I think Moosy could still have won if he tricked us into lynching the wrong people (I was paranoid that he was setting up his townread on me such that people would lynch me thinking I was his target when I actually wasn't), though it still would have been an uphill battle. Mafia lasting longer would have helped him too. Small setups with a lot of PRs are going to be volatile no matter what.

What is Wiretrap? Orbo and I were talking about it in the QT and I assumed it was like "tripwire" whereas he thought it was more like "wiretap"

I've used a role similar to angel a long time ago. Actually, twice. First time was a "mother" (it was a pokémafia so it fit the flavor) who had to protect a mafia-aligned child. Second time was neutral "protector" (iirc) who had to protect a SK. Both had doc protects and could win from the grave like in this setup. They were Neutral rather than Independent, so they didn't override the mafia or SK wincon. I liked these because they gave anti-town alignments a boost without adding a member to their team (like traitors, but more interesting). If you want to use the role again you should definitely try one of those.
Yeahhh I second this. This voting mechanic was hella interesting and made things a lot more fun.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Explanation time:

* The voting system: I think people are too quick to give this system praise. Since the game went so easily for town it's not really possible to tell how it would've worked out in a lylo situation. I'd have to try it out some more to see if it's stable or not. One plus is that it's very lenient on new players because somebody like @Darkpit54 could just use his vote to keep a cleared player safe and not commit to stuff too much.

* The Wiretrap: I guess I should have called it Wiretapper. I just used this role the way @#HBC | Laundry used it in Undertale Mafia. What it does is that all information obtained by investigators are relayed to him. In this specific setup it would've relayed the information of the Mafia Tracker to a Town Wiretrap - this is an interesting twist for various reasons. First, you'd normally expect the alignment of these roles to be the other way round [Town Tracker vs Mafia Wiretrap] but I think Mafia Tracker is super-underrated and the information obtained through tracking the Party Maniac is ambiguous enough to not break things. This was actually the part of the setup I wanted to see explored the most, unfortunately nothing came of it.

* The Party Maniac: During the game's course I started to realize that this role is problematic with regards to NAR. To prevent this from being an issue I will make it a twilight based role in the future. This makes it impossible to roleblock but since the role is indifferent towards alignment and can be tracked by Mafia I don't think it would've been a problem. I think it's a pretty cool role that interacts with the Tracker in an interesting fashion. If he tracks the party maniac himself he'd see him visit two people [the invitee and the party host], if he targets the invitee he'd see him visit one player [the party host] and if he tracks the party host he'd see him go nowhere. All this information would be relayed to the Wiretrap too which would've ended up adding a lot of information and complexity to a game that doesn't really have too many crazy roles.

* The Guarding Angel: I don't like joint wins and I think the role itself has enough of a chance to win this to justify making his wincon mutually exclusive with all other wincons. Though next time - whenever that may be - I may not randomize his targets for balance purposes.

:059:

Last edited:
Top Bottom